How to improve your Movie experience

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Prophet, Jun 19, 2012.

1. k-1

k-1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SC
    Thanks for the guide. I was using splash pro ex but your settings are superior.

2. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Thanks. I just blatantly stole everything from Maken1, so almost all the credit goes to him (or her). :)

3. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    Even though FFDSHOW is installed i dont see it in the filter options ....

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Cinemas can show more than 24fps, the RealD 3D system technically is 48fps (24fps for each eye), and then the technology switches between the frames extremely rapidly, so only one eye is projected at a time. The switches occur 144 times a second.

Cinema is at 24fps mainly because of conversion. Actually, pretty much everything, including TV shows, are recorded in 24fps (or directly 23.976).

The 23.976 is due to matching the TV system to the power system, so in northern America with 60Hz (59.94Hz) power, it made for 29.97fps. Remember, with interlaced 2 fields make a frame, so the actual refresh rate is 59.94 (the power system). In 50Hz areas, its 25fps.

To get from 24fps to 23.976 it is simply fractionally slowed down. To get to Pal, it is sped up slightly (its true, look it up! all TV in PAL is sped up from 23.976).

To get to 29.97, the material is telecined, which means blending some frames. This results in lower quality, but allows the conversion to 29.97 without making them sound like 'chipmunks'! This is why when encoding videos it is important to inverse telecine the original. Telecining at 23.976 is actually quite simple, you have 3 good frames, and 2 mixed frames, from a 5 frame original. Divide 23.976 by 4 (original frames) times 5 (telecined), and you get 29.97! Doesn't sound right, but enter it into a calculator ;).

So, movies have still stuck to 24fps simply because of ease of conversion to other formats. If you went to 40fps for instant, you couldn't convert it for television use as it would be too difficult without it looking like crap! (dropping frames etc). The best you could hope for is 48fps, and then drop every second frame for TV and distribution, which obviously isn't desirable.

So, the 24fps etc has NOTHING to do with 'perfecting it' or anything of the like, its simply a result of what best could be done to match technologies. Before this there were several other framerates used, and if you watch these movies today they are usually sped up slowed down as required. 48P, 72P etc have been trialled apparently, but as you can see they're multiples of 24P, so conversion for TV distribution etc is as simple as just using every second or third frame and then converting to the different formats from there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Im sure the info here is accurate. However, you are talking about 3d-cinemas, as I was talking about the 'regular' ones. In this city (Stockholm) I think there are only 3 or 4 movietheaters that are actually capable of doing 3d. Im pretty sure they will be showing 3d, and not 48 fps material. Hence, my statement still stands. You would still have to convert cinemas in order to show more than 24 fps. Thats the reason they are speculating we are still stuck with 24 fps, which basically everhthing is being shot at (except ofc 3d).

6. k-1

k-1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI SC
    I would not of known about it if it was not for your post, so thanks for the information then.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    No way, **** this ****.

Frame interporlation?

No thanks.

Anything more than 30FPS looks too home video like, and breaks the suspension of disbelief.

8. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Hi,

There are some complications using the potplayer and all the settings, there are 2 guides which does the same thing but different settings, the aim for quality and some of the settings on 1st guide are the best while on the other guide there are extra settings to have more quality which aren't set on the 1st guide.

Look what i mean : http://imouto.my/madvr/

it says more good settings but some of them are for he's graphics card or some lower settings mode.

I really don't know what to use.

I have 3 Questions : What does it means when it shown on the movie details on the player P10 or something on just 720p mkv movie ? I had it once when i first installed poty and played with some of the settings to test.

2nd : What is the best to use, it's driving me crazy , NV12 or YV12 ? for everything ? or just 720p1080p Mkv , or there are different settings for 1080i or Xvid and such ?

3rd : On the guides they say use Dithering when avaliable , When do i need dither ?

I'll have to wait for your answers before i can see movies lool.

Please , Thanks :pc1:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  9. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    There is one guide at the start that is provided by svp team. At first I hadn´t included that but I noted that I couldnt play some format without it, so I threw it in at the start. Any high quality settings will replace it.

10. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    Prophet is there any reason why i would not see the FFDSHOW filters after installing those things?
    Don't really feel like uninstalling my current setup incase i don't like this but i would really like to give it a go.

11. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Not that I know.

However svp team recommends you uninstall all other codecs/codecs pack. You wont need them anyway. Nirsoft has some utility to show which codecs are installed. Also ffdshow has a portable package with a bat in it that will allow you to manually install the codec, you could try that and see if you get an error message.

12. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    Uninstalled everything and installed potplayer and SVP and FFDSHOW is installed but it just does not show in the custom filter manager..... :(

13. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html does it show up here?

Did you restart potplayer after installing ffdshow?

Also find ffdshow.ax and install it with (uninstall)"regsvr32.exe /u ffdshow.ax" and then "regsvr32.exe /i ffdshow.ax" to install.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  14. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    It showsup in there yes, and yes i even restarted windows just in case.
    But it just does not showup in the filter manager in potplayer :/

Already tried 3 complete uninstalls and reinstalls.
    Guess it just wont work for me.

15. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Check my edit ^^

16. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Btw you did press 'add registered filter' and add it from ther?

17. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    Thats the thing it does not show when i click that.
    I can see it on the screenshot but when i look they just do not show.

18. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Thanks for this, Prophet.

I've been using PotPlayer for quite a while now, I just love how robust it is. However, I used this guide to configure my settings -

http://wp.me/PrgSo-gQ

That one seems more updated, comparing the screenshots, and offers a lot more configurations. :nerd:

19. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680 Gtx Twin Frozr
    Yea I seen that guys guide before its pretty good. It lacks svp though as far as I can tell by just skimming it. Does this give better quality than the one I posted without svp?

20. Lokius

Lokius Member

GPU:
    Evga gtx 1080
    I endedup following Makans guide with the lite and portable versions and that actually does work.
    The only sad part is in combo with SVP some files just crash, but for the most part things seem to work.