How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Worked fine, installed from DVD (Was an old machine with no USB boot), told it I had no key for the install, hit the desktop and put a Win 7 Pro key in for activation, activated fine with digital entitlement

MS haven't shut it off yet

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Nice~

3. Enmity

Enmity Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FE SLI
    I don't get all of this paranoia around windows 10s data collection options (which can be disabled btw) If you think your beloved win 7 is safe and Microsoft doesn't collect any of your data then you are seriously delusional, everything Microsoft does, collects your data...just like google and facebook and pretty much anything else internet related. And if you are that worried about privacy then you mustn't use facebook, and mustn't use a cellphone either, right? Coz Facebook in particular is the biggest breach of privacy known to man.

Win 10 is no worse than any previous version of windows. It's the better operating system for anyone using ssds and m.2 - and of course any dx12 capable gpu(s).

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Please tell me how you want to have intelligent personal assistants, cross-device apps, autocorrect keyboard, voice recognition, handwriting recognition, virus protection, and many more things, without sharing any kind of data?

Read above. It's obvious that you have literally no clue how any of these things work, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about them as if they are the sneaky data gatherers. They aren't even the real issue anyway as all of them can be disabled. Quite clearly you haven't written a line of code in your life, or maintained an IT system.

Do you know what metadata is? Just by owning the device, the government can know where you've been, where you've taken pictures, when you've done all those things, who you called, who you messaged. They don't even have to know the contents of the messages, pictures or calls, to get meaningful data. Bitching about privacy while owning a smartphone, a pattern starts to form around your comments.

Again, your knowledge seems to be really deep. A backdoor can do ANYTHING, including all the things you said, and many more. That's the point of having it in the first place. Windows 10 is sending telemetry diagnostics. What runs, how it runs, on what hardware it runs, and the software environment it runs on.

Microsoft themselves explain it:

There is no company that is not using telemetry data. It is impossible to improve monolithic complex software without it. Even car companies are using it.

Not knowing what you're talking about, though, doesn't change that the privacy concerns are valid. But it really boils down to this:

1) Use a rolling release Linux distro (Arch, Debian, Gentoo) that sticks to upstream, and be careful with what you install.

2) Use an open source phone. Even then, the metadata from your phone carrier can and will be used by your government.

In the end, the fight should be with the government, not the companies. The companies should be pressured so that they might pressure the government instead. What Microsoft can do is give you better dickbutt recommendations with Cortana, not send a SWAT team in your house. And no, you can't have complex, fast developing, software that is being deployed to billions of devices, with no telemetry data. Sorry. Not possible.

Due to the edgy pictures and the whole "anonymous" vibe you have, I hope you are in your late teens. If not, this forum especially has a lot of us geezers around, so don't judge so fast.

As for the subject, I did a clean install, everything went smooth. I was an idiot with a download from FossHub (which was infected at the time), and despite Smart Screen's warning (the irony :D ), I run it and lost my MBR and the partition table from my main SSD :D. I restored the partition table using TestDisk from my Linux installation, and the UEFI boot loader using instructions from this post.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Just finished re-installing the update.I think with the migration from 7, my user accounts got all screwy, but all good now.Update behaved differently too, as it didn't show up in WU and it didn't ask me to re-create a new user profile.Have full admin rights again, but I'll keep the win.old folder for a few days to be sure everything's good. :thumbup:

Forgot to mention I had the ESD folder backed up on a bootable USB drive, worked like a charm.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  6. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1070's SLI
    I just installed the Windows update. Ran far cry 4 an noticed vsync is broken. I haven't seen that in years.. So I figured I'll uninstall the drivers and re install them. I uninstalled them in control panel, reset my pc and a driver is still present. I've never seen that before. I checked device manager and it says version 358.91 are installed?! Control panel shows no drivers installed? What's the deal? How do I uninstall these drivers that automatically installed without me approving? I want to do a clean install of the new drivers on nvidia website.

7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    Use DDU. It will also disable automatic driver installation through Windows Update.

8. Straykatt

Straykatt Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1070's SLI
    Nice! It worked! I always use that too. Not this time though. Never knew that happens, thank you!

I found vsync no longer works for me forced through nvcp in far cry 4. Haven't tried other games yet. Something in the anniversary update broke it.

9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    OK fine, thanks for your response. I realise I am wasting my time fighting against big business and the corporate governance. They do have all the power in the end.

10. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    You come across as incredibly arrogant, condescending and a know-it-all. What's with all the ad-hominum arguments and statements? Do you have to keep attacking me personally to make yourself feel more important?

What do you mean by "a lot of us geezers around"? Do you mean you are still in your twenties and have grown up in this internet data-gathering age and consider it normal?

I happen to know exactly how all thos technologies you mentioned work and I see straight through their reasons to the real reason "we have to send everything to type/say back to our own supercomputer servers to process because your PC/phone is not powerful enough to process the information" - how convenient that this also allows them or any of the agencies that intercept this dataflow to use it also.

I have a degree in Computer Science from a main university in my country and then after that 17 years working as a software developer including in a well known major U.S. originated I.T. company. I have been programming since the 1980s and have large knowledge of both hardware and software systems and still work as a senior developer developing web based governmental management systems.

Now can you let us all know what your qualifications and IT experience are that give you so much more knowledge and the right to put down and attack other forum members such as myself here?

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I always disable my Network Adapter even tho DDU disables Automatic Driver Installation.

12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 Quadrobake
    This is the internet, and we can all pretend to be whatever we want, I'll keep not believing you since you seem incapable of reading a very clear sentence. I meant that there are a lot of people in here (and I also included myself) who ARE NOT in their twenties. In fact some of us are quite older than that. The "anonymous style" posts from equally clueless people don't help either with dispelling your 1337HAX00RxXx image.
    [​IMG]

No, it's obvious you have no clue. Google recently created an offline voice recognition system. Do you know what made it possible?
    Handwriting is even harder, as the samples are often larger and harder to categorize. This kind of response tells me that you have no clue, seriously. Writing Tax programs or warehouse applications in FORTRAN and Pascal is much different than even writing an auto-correct algorithm that learns. Never mind voice recognition which is a true nightmare as not a single sample is identical to the previous one, unlike keyboard entry. Local devices have neither the amount of samples, processing power to gather meaningful data out of them, nor the power envelope and time to learn. Less than a week ago NVIDIA released the new Titan X as a bargain power/performance card for the deep learning you say is possible from devices like your iPhone.

Congratulations on your degree and e-penis. When you say that you know how voice recognition and other tech works, then you clearly show multiple times that you don't and your answer to that is that "I'm old and experienced", what does that tell us about you? Also I don't say I don't believe you. But a lot of people who begun programming in the '80s have really stayed there. Your supposed experience doesn't tell us jack about how current you are. Even if you were current, your comments about firewalls and self-learning systems are more than enough to disqualify you from conversations about modern systems. Or even old systems. You really don't seem to understand what a firewall white list is dude, or what a separate firewall does. WTF. I won't even mention that you also don't seem to understand that the actual problem is the data privacy laws of your country of residence, and nothing else. It's those laws that determine what both the companies and, more importantly, THE GOVERNMENT, can do with your data. It doesn't help your case either that you disparage 20-year olds who are probably more talented than both of us combined, by calling them idiots.

First of all, I didn't "attack" anyone. I was annoyed by the clueless fear mongering and the stupid huge and meaningless jpgs you posted. I also wasn't bothered by anyone else in this thread.
    Your "years of experienice/amazing programmer" e-penis reminded me of my favorite copy pasta:
    :D

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Anyone with SLI do you get bad textures in BO3 mp? Main menu is fine.

Not drivers, 369.00 pre anniversary no issues, i updated to .09 and still not fixed.

14. Mica

Mica Member

GPU:
    RX470 4G Gaming X
    I keep a VM with Windows 10, just to check how things are going out there. Unfortunately, I still don't see any advantage to give up with Ubuntu Linux, just wishing for Vulkan to succeed.

15. Qwinn

Qwinn Guest

In case anyone's interested re: disabling the non-local aspects of Cortana completely, including stopping the process from hogging resources, and WITHOUT mucking about renaming folders:

Prior to the anniversary update, I'm not sure HOW I did it when I worked the problem many months ago, but I no longer ever saw Cortana in Task Manager. Since I fixed it, I've had my ideal preference which is the search box on the taskbar set to "Search Windows" only, and not hogging any resources.

The Anniversary update brought Cortana back, and she became a bigger resource hog than I even remember her being. I had to rediscover how to do it all over again. Although some folks are saying that with Anniversary you can't get Cortana to be "Search Windows" only anymore, it appears you can still do so. If you want to be in that state and can't do it, let me know and I'll offer what I can, though a simple web search should be able to get you that far.

Once that's done, the much harder part is stopping the Cortana process eating resources in Task Manager. Not only was it still using up 5-7% of my CPU resources over an hour after boot, it was hitting my network traffic quite hard as well. Between privacy and resource concerns, I wasn't dropping this problem till it was solved.

When researching how to kill the Cortana process, most responses will be to rename the folder that SearchUI.exe resides in. This has the drawback that it also kills the local Search functionality, which I personally find useful (sure, you can use a third party app like "Everything", but try typing "Notepad" into Everything, you'll get like 12 results. The localized, non-Cortana "Search Windows" will just pull up the Notepad program. Much more useful in many contexts.).

The solution I've currently found that works great, solves the privacy concern completely, and seems to free up all the resource hogging is to use your Firewall to block Cortana from outbound connections. This was a good walkthrough to setting that up:

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/29/cortana-block-outbound-network-connections-completely/

The main method is only available to Pro users through the Group Policy Editor, but the comments after it offer alternate ways for Home users to accomplish the same thing.

Once I applied this firewall block, Cortana's use of CPU and network traffic went to 0. It's only using 20mb of memory. I'm back to where I was with Cortana, and I'm happy. Hope this helps someone else slaving away at the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016

16. Qwinn

Qwinn Guest

Argh. No. Upon reboot, the local "Search Windows" functionality stopped working too. Damnit.

Well, if you *do* like using apps like Everything, this is probably still a better solution for disabling Cortana completely than renaming the folder. But as it is, still looking for a way to keep the "Search Windows" functionality working without having Cortana being a resource hog. Anyone got another way?

EDIT: Weird. Upon removing the firewall block and upon several more reboots, Cortana appears to be behaving now. No longer communicating over the network (although it could, now) and not using resources. "Search Windows" works again. Guess interrupting whatever rampage it was on previously stopped it altogether. Weird, but not going to complain.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2016
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Just installed it out of accident. Didn't realize the "update" is pretty much a service pack...

So far, so good, I just hope it didn't mess up any programs. It definitely looks better (both visual and extra options). Thankfully Cortana isn't showing up at all, likely due to my country, and I'm glad to be honest. :p