How to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The new shader compiler will be available as a standalone component of Windows SDK, not as a part of the Windows 10 ecosystem itself. The new shader intermediate language will also allow developers to create their own compiler with their own personal implementation, even their own shader language (without backing directly on HLSL).

2. toronto699

toronto699 Member

GPU:
    asus GTX660
    W10 upgrader , W10 update assistant failed to install from W10 version 10240to
    14393 {anniversary update} Update failed @ the 75% mark, Blank Screen , PC did not reboot. Failed 3 times at 75% of install. No Virus protection is installed on my PC. I have an Asus G30AB but installed failed. Any Ideas on how to fix the install?? Here is where u can get the Anniversary Updated , u will not lose anything with the install .
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Installer
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  3. Toss3

Toss3 Member Guru

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    So to sum up:
    1. Black screen upon boot -> safe mode -> DDU (worked under safe mode for some reason) -> reinstall drivers -> SUCCESS
    2. Chrome hardware acceleration is now broken -> had to disable
    3. Games in my steam library won't launch for some reason EDIT: Apparently has something to do with the new Xbox app -> https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/4vwgqy/windows_10_anniversary_update_and_csgo/

"Disable "Game DVR" in the Xbox app / Open Xbox app > go to config > Game DVR > Disable"

Good update /s

4. Asgardi

Asgardi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    Not to mention that most of the whiners have Android in their pocket which is made by a company of which whole business is based on harvesting user data and nothing else. If they make tens of dollars money from each user every year, you can only imagine what they are selling to get such a money. What would you pay for some random guys info? And what kind of info should be there to make it worth it?

5. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    android is free and you can compile it w/o any google software. actually google offers tons of code and great information on developing. whats microsoft webpage some **** desigh that try to get you to buy office 2016. actually i dont want a microsoft account i dont even use xbox. id rather link my google account.

6. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Ok, i was start to think that some have got a bug and the system cleaning was not working anymore for some peoples.

You should even find more files to clean as old drivers package and other thing like that.

Installed perfectly fine, just re disabling cortana .,

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Microsoft is already giving out ISOs with this version on. I'm just off a clean-install. Everything looks more polished and smooth, no problems whatsoever.

For anyone wondering, here's the Microsoft privacy agreement. It's human readable. People who panic over this and yet use Android phones have a severe case of head trauma.

I'm starting to believe that there is such a panic over this because Microsoft DID GIVE a lot of privacy controls, and people believed that it was somehow Windows only that is gathering all that.

There has been an NSA backdoor in Windows since NT4.0 SP5, so staying with an older kernel won't "save" anyone. It will only leave you with older vulnerabilities to other types of malware/infections, and less features.

By the way, here's the list of the privacy controls. They all come with a big on/off switch, and they also offer per-app granularity and are easier to access than anything I've seen on Android.

[​IMG]

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So when its released will we be able to update it via setup installer or?

I would really like to install it as soon as possible. Ive read once it will also affect current dx11 games and speed them up, not as much as native dx12, but still :)

9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Eh, no that won't work. Why? Because you would have to know the IP addresses of all servers that they might try and connect to. And if you need Windows updates, then you need to unblock that IP and they can just use that IP to send stuff. And they can change or add loads of IPs any time they want.

If you try and block by port/service then what are you going to leave open? Just port 80 and SSL port for web? Well they use SSL port to send encryped information back to their cloud so no point blocking every other port number.

10. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Yes but now Microsoft explicitly says what they collect which makes it legally possible for them to use it in court.

"Finally we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:... comply with applicable law... including law enforcement or other government agencies"

11. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Read this:

[​IMG]

-Mod edit- Plz use a spoiler tag with these large images

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  12. Tuukka

Tuukka Active Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX660 OC 2 GB
    One laptop dualcore, waiting 4 hours... Now after restart 35 %...

13. EdInk

EdInk Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 (H20)
    Update successful after several restarts and around 30mins. I still went ahead and reset the PC removing all settings for a 'cleaner' install..configurations files backuped so should be a breeze, restoring.
    Funny how MS 'begging' me to check out Edge before setting Chrome as Default browser....NO!
    Happy days! My Belkin bluetooth dongle works again.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Just by saying this I realized that you really have no idea how modern computers work. There is also the concept of the whitelist, but that's not really necessary. By the way, you still haven't told us what kind of phone you have, or responded to the wiki article showing that Windows always has had a government backdoor since NT4 SP5, making "staying with 7" an even more retarded choice, as you save nothing on actual privacy, but lose all the benefits of improved security patching over time.

When you quote, do a full quote please:
    If you had any idea on how a web service works, you would know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to operate it with 100% encrypted data. Furthermore it is ILLEGAL to withhold information of that kind from law enforcement, otherwise you can't operate in any country. Your issue here is privacy laws and the Congress/Parliament of the country you reside, not that Microsoft might give your Outlook.com mails to the police if they have a court order.
    Please use the spoiler tags when appropriate. I have a few things to say about that picture, and the person making those notes:

a) He underlines parts that specifically mention Cortana. There is NO way that a digital assistant can work as such, without ANY input data. There is no way that handwriting recognition, voice recognition and keyboard prediction can work without data collection. This is a math/programming problem and it's unsolvable unless you collect that data. Any system that incorporates a digital assistant (which is ALL OF THEM), has to give it a similar amount of data, just for it to be able to work.

b) WiFi sense no longer has the ability to share passwords with your contacts. It was kind of cool actually, when it worked. You could ALWAYS turn it off and the passwords were encrypted anyways.

c) Windows Updates SHOULD NOT be turned of for single-user computers. Period. Enterprise/VL versions of Windows give absolute control to the IT people as before. This is a non-issue, and one of the main reasons that malware has been the plague of Windows for so long. Windows 10 is a rolling release.

d) App suggestions on the Start Menu are nothing different than app suggestions in the store. The only required thing as information is what you have already downloaded.

e) Basic telemetry is just that. There is no other way for them to know what is running, which drivers to write, which programs need compatibility fixes etc. If you read the actual agreement, the data is non-identifiable.

In the end, in that jpg, the ONLY thing that the guy COULDN'T switch OFF was the basic telemetry data, which you should have on "on" anyways, if you care about software/hardware compatibility for your system. None of the options of "horror" he underlined were impossible to turn off. In fact, in his idiocy, he showed where all the "OFF" toggles were.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Geogan,

What is with this paranoid agenda. Information on a much more massive scale is collected without any disclosure on anyone who has ever owned a cell or just connected to the internet. Any concept or comprehension about targeted marketing. All this information is collected to "perfect" marketing.

Like I said in an earlier response, if you are that concerned about privacy, what the heck are you even doing being connected to the internet. This agenda has the same relevance as junk mail. If one truly wants a zero footprint in the digital age, they have to start off being born in cave in the middle of nowhere. Zip zero contact with any human outside of one's parents. One would have to have remained hidden from satellite surveillance their whole life on top of scratching out an existence that absolutely no would know about. Get a clue about what you are saying and the platform you are spreading it on. Go become a hermit before it's too late. The Matrix knows who you are.

16. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I've been saying the same thing but I decided to try Windows10. However I did it the smart way. I have Win 7 AND Win 10 as a dual-boot system.

I like a lot of the features with Windows 10, but still prefer Win 7 for gaming as I'm quite the minimalist and don't want heaps of stuff hogging resources in the background.

I'd suggest at least doing the dual-boot option, as I think you'd be crazy to install Win 10 as your primary OS

17. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    [​IMG] (can't see it showing up, here's the link http://imgur.com/a/OeQar )

Don't see this anywhere. Could you direct me to the actual part that has this?

I think you are a troll. That is obviously outdated, because there is indeed an option to turn off windows update, and you can turn the service off anyway (something any savvy gamer has always done in any version of windows), though turning it off in this version does admittedly have its downsides

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    So, do we inhabit a snow globe or is the world a flat disk and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WOLRD'S END got it correct?

19. deusex

deusex Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FTW3 Ultra
    My Windows says: Your device is up to date. Last checked: Today, ***8207;***8206;5:29 PM
    ooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkeyyyyy. So no update for me I guess.

20. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Updated on my tablet and PC. Both went super smooth.
    No driver or hardware issues.
    New Store and Skype Preview app and other apps are better.
    Edge is much more stable, waiting for uBlock Origin before I ditch Chrome.
    Tablet - auto-hide of the taskbar is welcome!
    I had to configure my GeForce drive settings again on my PC
    Asides from that, it really was a perfect update.
    Cheers MS.