1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to force full power on 1080Ti?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Danny_G13, May 26, 2019.

1. ngoni615

ngoni615 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti 11gb
    That is very high for water cooling. You should be 50 and maybe 55 max.

2. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Overclocked.

3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

This doesn't matter if its stock or OC, I have used EVGA Hybrid AIO on few GTX1080Ti and max temperatures I have seen have been in mid 50's to low 60's depending on ambient temperature when GPU have been OC to 2088MHz at 1.093v

Best temperatures I have seen in high 40's in very low ambient temperature although I always replaced stock EVGA TIM for Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    It doesn't. I'm on EVGA hybrid too with a well-ventilated case and when overclocked and under stress the GPU can reach 70C. So either you're telling me I'm 'wrong' or... what. What are you saying here?

5. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Wait, I run EVERYTHING in 4K. Are you running in 4K?

6. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

As I said, these temperatures seems too high like for stock or OC for me but that's me there

I have used EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2 or Black Edition etc with EVGA Hybrid AIO and temperatures as I said I've seen mid 50's to low 60's depending on ambient temperature when GPU have been OC to 2088MHz at 1.093v

At what resolution I have played, Ultrawide or 4k

Now I use for builds RTX 2080Ti only or RTX 2080

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

7. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hard to say why yours temperatures are so high, how long do you have EVGA Hybrid AIO on yours GTX1080Ti?

Have used Hybrid AIO too on my Titan X SC with 1469MHz OC and temperatures have been too very similar like on GTX1080Ti with Hybrid AIO in mid 50's to low 60's, only when my EVGA Hybrid AIO failed I have seen on idle 60°C and on load 85°C to 95°C

Why I'm saying it doesn't matter, because usually by OC rise in temperatures is 2-5°C as max and these 2-5°C doesn't make lots of difference

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

8. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    I've ordered some Noctua (currently using shin etsu) and I'll try reseating both CPU and GPU tomorrow if I have time.

I must admit 77C GPU doesn't seem right.

9. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi there

I use on GPUs mostly Noctua NT-H1 or Kryonaut, with Noctua have most consistent temperatures on my GPUs

77°C on Hybrid AIO GTX1080Ti is way too high, I would expect around mid 50's to low 60's on yours GTX1080Ti with Hybrid AIO

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

10. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Reinstalled the hybrid kit and used your Noctua. All fans are working properly although I've not put a curve on them. And the temperatures are exactly the same.

70C within about 3 minutes of starting a game. V on 100% in MSI afterburner. Overlock +150 +500. Idles at 30C.

Explain what I'm doing wrong here please. Have I set something up wrong?

11. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Ok I may be onto something now.

I've noticed the 120MM rad fan does NOT respond to the fan curve. The blower fan works fine, but when things get hotter, the rad fan is not speeding up along with the blower. It remains at a steady and modest pace. So it is working, but it's not spinning up in conjunction with increased heat. Is it supposed to do that?

I've set it up as pass through on the Hybrid kit, so both fans are connected together and the monitoring software only sees the one fan - but where the blower fan speeds up with heat, the rad fan doesn't.

Does this help?

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    As a reference a watercooled (custom loop, not AIO) 2080Ti does max 50 degrees OCd over 2100MHz, and that's a bigger chip than the 1080Ti.

13. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    Appreciated but not really a reference - custom loops will always perform infinitely better than closed. Higher risk, higher maintence, more complex setup but far greater reward.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    You're actually right about that. When I saw reviews for the MSI 2080Ti SeaHawk X I was very disappointed over the temps (around 70). The Inno3D iChill version however seems to have much lower temps due to using a 240mm rad instead of the 120mm ones on your card and the MSI card.

15. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti FE @ 2GHz
    I've got it locked out at 71C now. Quite honestly that's an improvement and it seems ok. But that said, did you ever have any ideas about my earlier replies re: fan etc?

16. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE

Hi there

Idle temperatures are high, but this can be down to ambient temperature or case airflow or GPU doesn't downclocks to idle speeds etc

Load temperatures are on higher side too, which can be down to as above ambient or case airflow, hard to say, did you tried open side panel if this lowers temperatures or not, if yes then you know you have issue with airflow

I don't think you done something wrong there, unless you are put not enough TIM, I usually use X pattern method on GPUs which works for me

Regarding the why radiator fan doesn't respond to fan control,I do think radiator fan is 3 pin or non PWM and can be down to this and due this you can't control the fan on radiator, I remember I have used on several occasions on EVGA Hybrid AIO different fans in push pull configuration and controlled them through the Speedfan or BIOS

And sorry for late reply

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura