How to find out if a program locked up?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by jeffmorris, Feb 17, 2019.

1. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I was using 3DS MAX to work on a large 3D model and it stopped responding. When I call up Task Manager, the numbers change a little under CPU and memory, and the numbers stay at 0 under disk and network. I waited two hours before terminating 3DS MAX. My computer has Windows 10 Pro, Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC, Intel I5-4670 CPU, GTX 1070 video card, and 16GB of system memory. Any suggestions?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can use Procmon from SysInternals
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon
    to spy after the process. And if you see no signs of file, registry, network, thread activities then most probably app is in deadlock.
    But errors on code can lead not to complete deadlock but to some infinite loop - in such case it is hard to tell whether app is bugged.

3. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

How scene is big, what RAM usage during that scene did you seen and what modifiers did you used, with tessellation and subdivision you will see RAM usage go through the roof and in large scene you will be probably swapping from virtual memory

Check at first what virtual memory size do you have set, I would recommend set this to 16-32GB and if you work with larger scenes then 32GB would be very beneficial for you

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I tried Procmon but it gives me a very long list of processes and I can't find out if a program locked up or not.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You need to know the name of the process in question. Then you can filter the logging namely for that process:
    [​IMG]

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX