How to disable chipset fan?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Samurai, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Samurai

Samurai New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    I need to disable the Chipset fan. I own the Gigabyte x570 Gaming X motherboard. The fan provides almost no cooling and is very loud. I slapped a second much better fan on top and is much better at cooling. But the old PCH fan still sometimes kicks on even through the temp is -20C now. I cannot disable the PCH fan within BIOS, official Gigabyte SIV software, or Speed Fan. Maybe I can stop the voltage to it? I know there are major ricks involved, but I'm willing to take them. How do I shut off the fan?

2. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    SpeedFan hasn't been updated for years. The only thing would be if Gigabyte have their own fan curve utility but it's probably the same as the BIOS.
    MSI let you set your own curve for this, not helpful I know.

3. Samurai

Samurai New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    @theoneofgod Well, Gigabyte does have three curves to choose from in BIOS. However, there is no way to completely shut of the PCH fan. I can shut off all the other fans, but not the chipset fan for whatever reason. There is a "silent" curve, but that is far from silent. I understand they want the fan to be on to keep the system safe, however, my solution is working much better and just want to disable the old fan.

4. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    No what I mean is with my board there's presets but also a manual option. 0% is an option across the board. I can't help with your board sorry. I recently tried SpeedFan too for another reason, no luck with that.

I wonder if under the shroud the fan is plugged in to a header which you can unplug

5. Samurai

Samurai New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    @theoneofgod I'm not sure. I have not taken off the plastic shroud around it. I think there is a heatsink inside that, which I would rather not mess with. I just want to disable the fan. I guess I could break the fan off if I must. That would void my warranty.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The fan has a power header most likely inside that shroud. It must get power from somewhere.

If you can remove the shroud without breaking it just try it, the heatsink should be separate from the shroud and you needn't remove the heatsink.

7. Samurai

Samurai New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    @AsiJu The shroud is on the board pretty good. I would prob break something trying to remove it. Is there a guide or video showing someone removing the it or how to remove it?

8. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2060

at 2:36 they show chipset fan removal for the aorus x570 master
    the only vid i can find atm

Samurai and AsiJu like this.