How to correct EXTREME pop-ins?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ItalianStud, Jan 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ItalianStud

ItalianStud New Member

GPU:
    GTX480 SLI
    Hi... this is my first ATI, a sapphire 5870 Vapor-X... before this one, alway nvidia: 8800 ultra x 2, 6800 ultra, ti 4600, etc...

So... I was very happy with the performance and looks of games like Dirt 2... but there are games where there's an EXTREME pop-in... first one was Crysis Warhead... I don't remember those when playing with my nvidia cards...

Then, Dawn of War II... horrible, not even pop-in near the fow, pop-in like right in your face...

Then, NFS Undercover... the game runs horribly, but pop-in, cars appearing at 20m

So yes, I'm blaming my ATI for this. No game settings, or whatever. And believe me, I'm VERY happy with my new ATI, but I think they sacrifice quality to get speed.

Games that run like a charm: Dirt 2, Modern Warfare 2, Valve games, etc

Anyone knows how to fix these horrible pop-ins? :bang:

Thanks!

2. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    pop-in :confused:

3. Tequila

Tequila Guest

GPU:
    2xRTX3090 (nvLink)
    I'm fairly sure he's attempting to reference the draw-distance of games?

i.e. You're driving along and then suddenly a car 'pops-in' because it has only just been rendered due to the drawing distance.

This is actually quite common, Fallout3 did it for my dad, he had a really old nvidia card that would have further draw-distance (and 10fps) and when he upgraded to an ATI, they lowered the draw-distance ... it's just bad game coding (the GPU isn't recognised so it chooses a safe default draw-distance)

Anyway, hope that helps =)

[Edit]
    To fix it you need to look at the game-specific problem: i.e. if it a quake engine game, its more then likely a line in your config r_drawdistance etc..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  4. ItalianStud

ItalianStud New Member

GPU:
    GTX480 SLI
    OK, thanks :D