how to control electronics from computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by lemonlaw95, Aug 4, 2008.

1. lemonlaw95

lemonlaw95 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB
    How to get your iPod to be able to play Halo 3 **NO JOKE!!!**

hey guys
    sorry if this is in the wrong place, but it's the best i could find for it.
    (and sorry for making the title stupid. i just wanted to get hits for it, since the old title wasn't interesting)
    i use ubuntu linux 8.04 hardy heron.
    i have lots of ideas for stuff that i could make that's either powered by my computer (like this), or stuff that controls my computer, like a button stuck to my desk that sends a premade email.
    in the case of the cat feeder (you clicked the link, didn't you?), i don't have a basic stamp, nor do i want to buy one. how can i control the feeder from my computer directly? all i would need is to be able to control the servo from the pc, but how can i plug it in and have it powered?
    or i could make a button that sends a preset email to someone's email address when you push it! but mainly i'm concerned about the cat feeder, and being able to connect it to the internet as mentioned in the link. how can i do that without buying a usb servo controller? the servo i have is 5v, and draws 150mA under no load, so to be safe we can assume it draws 500mA under load. a usb port puts out 5v, and up to 500mA, but the device has to "negotiate" with the host (the pc) to get it to put out the full 500mA. a servo alone can't do that, but can i somehow force the computer to put out the 500mA? thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. lemonlaw95

lemonlaw95 Member Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800M GTS 1GB
    *bump* anyone?

3. theworldisover

theworldisover Maha Guru

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    you already posted this a couple clicks up.

and u named the title different.....:ban: