How to completely reset a GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nvidiaman, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    This is why if you are buying a laptop that supports Optimus/MSHYBRID, make sure it has a muxer where you can select MSHYBRID or DISCRETE modes. My 1710 has this, and in Discrete mode the iGPU is disabled, and I get full NVIDIA support for GSYNC and higher refresh rates. (100Hz vs 60Hz)

2. nvidiaman

nvidiaman Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 M 4 GB
    Today I deleted all of the partitions with Diskpart,reinstalled the OS ,installed the drivers,but I am still experiencing some issues!

GPU-Zs' sensors don't show any values till I press the Refresh button on the program;

HWMonitor shows me that the both core and memory clocks are stuck at 405 with 405 MHz at idle!

MSI Afterburner shows 405 with 405 MHz too!

Before this issues everytime I opened HWMonitor or MSI Afterburner ,the core clocks were changing from 135 to 405 MHz, and back from 405 to 135 every second !. Now when I open them they always show only 405 MHz !

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Then test other drivers, this one is clearly bugged if it was normal before..

Which one do you use atm?

Also uninstall 3dvision and geforce experience if you don't use it.

4. nvidiaman

nvidiaman Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 M 4 GB
    What do you think about reflashing of the vbios?

Could please guide me how to reflash it?

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Are you not afraid to brick your laptop?
    Most of times both drivers and VBIOS are customized for a particular OEM. So I would not recommend this. In desktop system you can buy new dedicated videocard, but I doubt you will find new one for laptop.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Also reflashing a vBIOS on a laptop part can be more complicated, requiring the use of an IC programmer and app.

7. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    speaking of bios. Did you update your bios since spectre? Possibly settings were reset? I have no clue but, if you have completely wiped and reinstalled...not using some turd like norton that came with your laptop...it comes down to the motherboard bios if its not the GPU sensors.

8. nvidiaman

nvidiaman Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 M 4 GB
    I finally remembered! All of the issues happenned after I updated my Nvidia graphics driver to version 391.35 !

Yesterday I tried some older drivers,and GPU-Z and HWMonitor started to show normal values of 135 with 405 MHz!

Only MSI Afterburner shows 405 with 405 MHz for all of the time and 0 degrees Celsius of the GPU,untill I open HWMonitor or GPU-Z ! When I open them then MSI Afterburner starts to show 135 with 405 MHz,and also starts to show the GPU temp which is around 30 degrees Celsius!

Could someone please help me to fix ths issue of MSI Afterburner? I would like to set it to show the base of 135 MHz with 405 MHz at idle,without opening of app like HWMonitor or GPU-Z!

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Talk to Afterburner`s author. He is here at this forum.

10. nvidiaman

nvidiaman Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 960 M 4 GB
    What is his username?

11. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Unwinder, better be 110% sure it's an Afterburner issue though. Unwinder seems quite fed up (understandably) with people coming to him with their self inflicted "issues" they're causing with Afterburner.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    nvm... I see you have created a topic already in correct sub-forum.

PS Oops... I see your conversation there was short. So have you figured out about settings Unwinder mentioned/suggested?