How to clean up TIM residue on the CPU?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Saeid, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Hey there,
    I just took my computer apart, and i had to remove the heatsink-fan from my cpu, and i was left with the TIM residue on the CPU and the heatsink-fan.

What is the safest way to clean up the residue? I have heard of rubbing alcohal (medical alcohal which is 99%) and Acetone (the nail polish remover).

Thanks.

2. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth. i use a paper towel to get most of it off then 'polish' it a bit with a microfiber cloth.

3. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    If you can get your hands on Isopropyl (alcohol with 50% + ) it gets the job done.

4. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    I you are cleaning metallic parts like the bottom of the heatsink or the heat spreader of the CPU (the metallic top), standard alcohol can be used. For other parts like contacts and plastic components, isopropyl alcohol suits better because it won't damage them.

Btw, nice processor you have ;)

Andrés

5. Alkali

Alkali Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
    I've got some TIM cleaner. Its made by Antec I think (at work so cant check).

I believe its got citric acid in it among other elements, so I guess lemon juice would work if you cant get hold of any chemicals.