1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to boot old drive in new system

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Punkyfish, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    Hi,

This is my first post, I hope it’s in the right section.

I had issues with my old system and after a lot of testing it turns out my PSU had died. At that time the motherboard light still lit up and fans spun. When I tried it again with a new PSU the motherboard didn’t light up so I am assuming it has now also died.

The problem I have is I need to get some files and my emails which have been set up in folders off the drive. I have backup storage and had most things backed up when this happened.

As a result I am building a new system and wondered if there is anyway of booting from the HDD? It’s been a few years since au built that PC and technology has moved on so much I’m a bit stuck! If I can just get what I need off I will then upgrade to Windows 10 Home 64 bit, use an SSD and then reformat the HDD.

I’m looking at the following:

Gigabyte Z390 Auros Pro WiFi
    I7 9700K
    EVGA Supernova G3 750W PSU
    Fractal Design Define R6 case
    CPU cooler - air not decided yet
    Graphics card in the future
    RAM DDR 4 3200 2x8GB sticks

I hope someone can help!

Many thanks

2. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    Why don't you just install 10 on the ssd and use the hard drive as storage drive and pull your stuff off in that way no need to boot from it.

3. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    If I do that will I still see the normal windows desktop screen? I really need to get my emails off. If I can great!

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What client are you using for email? Are they stored on the desktop? You can always navigate to where the email client stores email and pull that off .

5. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    I use Outlook and click on the shortcut. The problem is I store my emails in set folders.
    If I can do what you suggest, how do I do it?

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Outlook as in Office outlook? If it is what version then you can just look up the file path. Then you can grab the folders and insert them in outlook on the new drive. If you give me the version I'll find it out for you and I'm assuming the old drive is windows 7?

Punkyfish likes this.
  7. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    Hi yes Microsoft office professional 2013, I’m windows 7 home, I think 64 bit with SP 1 but I can’t remember. I do have a disk somewhere... thanks so much for your help!

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
  9. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    Hi, apologies as I can’t see it I’m struggling to visualise it. So, I install windows 10 on the new SSD, then connect the HDD. Presumably that then shows up as an additional drive in windows which I then click, what will I see then and how do progress from there?
    Many thanks

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When you open the drive you'll see a file list like Program Files,Users,Windows etc open users look for your user name open that then AppData > Local>Microsoft>Outlook in the last one when you open it look for the .pst files and copy them. Put them somewhere you can find and the follow the instructions for importing in the link I gave you.

11. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    That’s great, thank you so much for your help! As soon as I have got the new parts I will do it. Cheers!

12. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    ---------------------------------------------
    There's a tool to view your outlook files offline: https://www.nucleustechnologies.com/pst-viewer.html
    ---------------------------------------------
    Otherwise-
    Back up this:
    Location of the outlook files (.pst) : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Install office on your new OS and restore [ go to 6:25 of the video {set folders appear}] :

Punkyfish likes this.
  13. Punkyfish

Punkyfish New Member

GPU:
    None yet
    Thank you!

Caesar likes this.