[HOW-TO] ATI+NVIDIA on Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by ShivanSpS, Dec 21, 2008.

1. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    I was not sure where to post this.
    I have read somewhere in internet that is was posible to run a ATI and a Nvidia card at the same time under Vista if we are using XP drivers... since i have Vista x64 y whent to try witch XP x64 drivers...

Using Windows XP x64 drivers for both the ATI and Nvidia does indeed work!!!

(you need to install them manually)

[​IMG]

First i tryied with a second monitor to enable the 8300IGP, them i figured out that was not needed, you need to just select the "grey" monitor in the display settings and select "extend my desktop ontro this monitor" and the secondary card will be enabled. I do the same in Windows 7...

Using the Catalyst 8.12 XP x64 and forceware 178.13 for Xp x64 i was able to enable both cards! (i tryied with 180.84, but it give me a error).

As you can expect, this dont come without problems...

CCC fails to detect the radeon card, as well the nvidia control panel (so no cuda/physx support), i confirmed this with Badaboom...

the games runs well, with not aparent problems or performance loss, the 3D acceleration where working in both cards, i confirmed this.

GPU-Z give a error at launch.

and finally, we also loss DX10...

Ok, most of these problems seens to be driver based and not sure if can be fixed with modded drivers (maybe modders can take a look at this about what can be done?).

Again, but something tells me that this is working because Vista fail to detected both card as CCC and Nvidia control Panel do....

BTW, Vista with SP2 Beta.
    BTW2, Installing the Vista x64 driver for the Radeon disable the nvidia, confirmed.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Sprecker

Sprecker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    What gains do you get from this? It appears to be more gimmicy than practical.

3. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    true, by now at least... one hour ago i was sure that was impossible to mix a ATI and Nvidia card under Vista.

Maybe modders can find a way to fix the drivers, let the word spread and see what happends..

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  4. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    Why does it say your processor and memory are unavailable on your vista screen there?

5. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    I'm already looking into this (I mod drivers as well) But i want it fully automated. I don't have many testers yet to help (only 1) but my vision on this is to let eveyrthing install with the ATi display drivers (including the nVidia part)

But as far as i can read now, you need the nVidia panel to enable PhysX? <- can't the PhysX driver / tool handle this (enable / choose physx card) without the nVidia panel.

I'm willing to post my first driver here later today when i come home from work if some people here are willing to help / beta test with me?

6. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    sure, i'll test :)

7. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    i need to estudy today, but i can give it a try tomorrow...

Personally I NEVER be able to select "Geforce Physx" in the Physx control panel, i cant do it in XPO, either was in Windows 7, i think is maybe a bug in the Physx drivers because is an IGP... their only allow me to select it if the geforce is the primary... BUT in the nvidia control panel allow me to select "PHysx->Hardware" and this come by default, and programs like UT does really using Hardware Physx... there was about 30fps increse from software to hardware...

Any as the Physx copntrol panmel dont allow me to select geforce, i cant run the demos either.

Badaboom is also able to use the secondary igp for CUDA...

All of this was under XP/Windows 7.

In vista using the XP drivers, CUDA programs fail to detect the geforce igp, UT wast using hardware physx either....

BUT i come to a surprised that 3D where working OK in both ATI and nvidia...

Also programs like GPU-Z crash on launch, rivaturner detect something dbut dont tell what files the drivers is using... same for CCC, CCC say that i dont have an ATI card, when i launch it does DETECT it, but it dont show all the info just the name, and not opcions either...

I think VISTA is allowing both cards to work because it does dont figures out that those are actually two video cards of diferent company working at the same time...

8. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    DOWNLOAD
    Release info:
    * trying to get PhysX to work with ATI+nVidia combination
    * Nvidia incorporated into ATi installer
    DNA-ATi Hybrid 0.1 VISTA x64 ONLY FOR NOW

NOTES:
    * It's a big download, if version 0.1 doesn't work don't delete the package as i will be uploading small updates that overwrite certain files so you don't have to re-download 156MB's (final package if we get this working will be smaller)

* If the download doesn't work goto donotargue.com domain and copy paste the link there (HotLink Protection)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  9. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    Thanks KillerSneak,

I've just installed a fresh copy of vista ultimate x64 sp1 for testing and i'm about to image it before plugging in a 320mb 8800gts.

Are there any specific instructions for installing?
    i noticed there are a couple of batch files, am i to start the install using one of those or... ?

[edit] updating windows and defragging first.. *yawn*

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  10. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Yes install the driver with the batch file. This will install the normal 8.12's with CCC and the nVidia drivers (if everything goes alright)

11. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    extracted the 'DNA-ATi-Hybrid_Vista_8.12x64' folder, ran the DNA.bat file and selected 1 to install the drivers.
    had an error saying it couldn't find the physx exe:
    [​IMG]
    but the file was there, so i installed it manually...
    after the setup finished, i installed ready driver plus and rebooted.

after rebooting, i checked the device manager and physx control panel:
    [​IMG]

going to remove the nv card again for now as the fan's really annoying, lol

12. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    Similar happend to me but the nvidia driver was not installed, i try installing it manually and a get an error saying that the driver is not for Vista... haha strange. (this only seen to happen with the 8300).

The ATi drivers seems to be working ok, but still it disables the secondary card... (i used the regular 178.13 xp64 drivers for it as the dn one failed to install)

Only thing is gpu-z keep crashing. not important anyway...

13. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Well this is the first step, good thing is that it does see your nVidia cad and assigns it even when it's installed from within the ATi driver. Ill see if i can get an update posted and come back to you guys asap. Could you show me the Drivers tab as well (if not to much asked) so we can make sure it installed the right drivers?

14. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    the dna drivers are the only drivers available to the system.
    just plugged in the gts card again and took a screenshot of the driver tab:
    [​IMG]

also noticed a couple of related issues in the event log, so figured i'd post those too:
    [​IMG]

15. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    In my case it wast installed, them i ry to do it anually, i get this error.

But i could install it any other driver... but those dont have the "do not argue" manufacturer.

[​IMG]

16. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Thanks for the feedback guys, i think i can work with this. Especially the service not starting part <- i think this is the main issue.

Ill post a update package later today So please save the 156MB package as the update package needs to be extracted ontop of the original package as an update :)

17. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Just a heads up, I'm still working on it. I'm just a bit hung at the services part.

18. OUTSIDE

OUTSIDE New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4870 1GB
    We are waiting!

In my Windows Vista x64... I have the 4870 + 8800GT... but... without CCC and nVidia Control Panel... and without PhysX :(

ByE!

19. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Yes i know you guys are i didn't forget it's just i was/am a bit occupied with the renewed DNA-ATi Vista drivers and I'm yet to begin on the XP versions :( It's a bit hard working on 9 drivers at one time (dna-ati vista's / xp's // dna-nvidia vista's / xp's and the hybrid drivers).. I need more than 24hrs a day.

20. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    I'm definitely interested in assisting with this if possible.

Also, I know some XP drivers work in Vista...would it be possible to use them? I don't know if video drivers work though.