How to achieve smooth 30 FPS on PC ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by drejzo, May 21, 2022.

1. drejzo

drejzo Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1650 3gb
    I want to play some of my games in locked 30 FPS because i have mid range laptop. I lock my games to 30 in Rtss but it still feels laggy and choppy, so can you guys tell me what should i do in order to make 30 fps smooth like its in console ?

2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    If you have an Nvidia GPU the usual strategy is to do the following (see BlurBuster’s low lag Vsync guide for more context):

1) Enable proper Half Refresh Vsync via the Nvidia control panel (you will probably need to download the latest Nvidia profile inspector then go to that game’s profile -> enable half refresh Vsync and apply -> you can verify it’s actually been applied by opening the normal Nvidia control panel and under that game’s profile it will show Vsync as “custom”).

2) Google online “Vsync hz tester” and test your 60 hz panel to find the exact refresh rate. Most 60 hz monitors are actually 59.94 or 60.02 (not exactly 60) in my experience.

3) Use RTSS to cap to your exact/precise monitor hz refresh over 2 (e.g. if refresh is 60.02 you could do 30.01 in RTSS). If you cap too low you’ll get occasional stuttering as the backbuffer won’t be filled in time but if you cap too high you won’t get as much of a latency reduction.

4) Enable ULLM (ultra low lag mode) for the game’s profile in Nvidia control panel as input lag is pretty bad at 30 fps usually. Note in some rare cases going off of reports I’ve seen on other forums this can somewhat reduce overall performance or cause stuttering in CPU bound scenarios but “usually” that’s not a prominent or common issue from what I gather and it does reduce input lag which matters a lot at 30 fps. Personally I’ve not experienced an issue with this setting just something as a disclaimer really.

Note, all of this assumes a few things:
    1) you’re using a 60 hz traditional refresh monitor
    2) you’re not using a laptop with Nvidia Optimus enabled as if you are Nvidia control panel Vsync won’t work

I would recommend before you apply your RTSS framerate cap enable the half refresh Vsync first then launch the game — using an overlay tool like RTSS’s verify the game is indeed half refresh Vsynced. Then proceed with the rest — it’s good to make sure the Vsync is actually applying itself.

If you have an Optimus laptop then the control panel Vsync methods won’t work so the best you can really do is just enable in-game Vsync then cap to precisely monitor true refresh / 2 with RTSS. At 30 fps I personally find camera motion blur can help mask the visible frame judder/gaps between frames.

If you’re really really lazy and don’t want to use Nvidia profile inspector you could also enable half refresh adaptive Vsync which is an option in the standard control panel then enabled cap to 30.5 or 31. The reason for a 31 ish fps cap with adaptive is in my experience adaptive Vsync tears all the time unless you cap above 30 (you could test this manually with RTSS though to find what the minimum value you could cap to is without seeing tearing).

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  3. drejzo

drejzo Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1650 3gb
    I have acer nitro 5 60hz and gtx 1650. My v sync in nvidia control panel is not working and i was wondering for months why ? Can i somehow fix this because i wanted to try that 1/2 vsyc in inspector for so long...

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Wouldn't it be better to disable all sync and use an fps limiter set to 30fps while having as high a refresh rate on the monitor as possible?
    No tearing and no sync lag.

5. P_G19

P_G19 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 / 6GB
    If it's an offline game that doesn't use anti-cheat you can try Special-K Latent Sync

6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Is the Acer 5 a laptop?

Most gaming laptops force Nvidia optimus so control panel/driver level v-sync won't work. I'm not sure if that particular laptop has the option to switch off optimus, many laptops do not.

If you want the game to look "smooth" at 30 fps, assuming the laptop is a traditional 60 hz panel (no g-sync/no freesync), the best you can do to my knowledge is to use in-game V-Sync ON then use a very accurate framerate limiter (RTSS is really the best option for this) to cap to "true refresh"/2. So, for example if your monitor's true refresh rate is 59.94 (you'll need to check this with an online refresh rate hz tester) you would cap to 50.94/2. My original comment on this thread goes into more nitty gritty details for that.

Then turn on ULLM to further bring down latency and, in my own opinion, motion blur can help smoothen out the frame presentation further (though some people don't like how it looks). I am actually not entirely sure whether or not ULLM works with Nvidia Optimus either as I don't know what features are restricted when it's on, but I'd personally try it if gaming at 30 fps since the input delay with v-sync (even when framerate capping) can be noticeable.

Other options are things like RTSS scanline sync, but in my experience I couldn't really get it to work in a "stable" fashion unless the game's GPU utilization was really very low. But it might work in some cases. There's a separate thread on Guru3d about scanline sync from a long way back.

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    What is this? I've not heard of it before. Does it function like Nvidia control panel v-sync? Or is it like scanline sync? Or a type of fast sync? Very curious as I've not come across this option before. Thanks,

8. xvt

xvt Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Suprim X
    Either use RTSS' Standard Scaline-Sync/2, Hybrid Scanline-Sync or SpecialK's Latent-Sync at half refresh rate.
    For better results in Hybrid Scanline-Sync, you need to be able to specify your monitor's refresh rate to a tee.
    I find SpecialK a bit cumbersome to use, but nonetheless, it's Latent-Sync works great identifying your monitor's refresh rate, so I'd run SpecialK first, enable Latent-Sync, take note of the refresh rate value it detected, divide it by two and use that result for RTSS. Then it's all a matter of moving the tear line out of the way to the bottom of the screen.

Oversimplifying, Latent-Sync is the equivalent of Hybrid Scanline-Sync, so VSync should be off for optimal results.

Last edited: May 21, 2022
  9. drejzo

drejzo Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1650 3gb
    Yes it is acer nitro 5 515-54. My screen is 60.030 hz so i go 60.030/2 and put number in rtss ? What about oc laptop screen to lets say 70hz and cap fps to 35 ? Or 75hz and cap fps to 37.5 ? Anyway about this optimus i googled something and actually I plugged in my monitor with HDMi cable with laptop and now v sync 1/2 does work. But i cant always bring my monitor with to play games lol

10. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
    Buy hdmi dummy plug to emulate connected monitor

11. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Some games seem to just be smooth even if you just use the built in frame limiter, while others will struggle with frame pacing even if you force half refresh vsync on them. What I can say is that stuff like low latency and reflex seems to make the problem worse for me, not improve it. For these games just unlocking the FPS is the smoothest you will get them. Using borderless window mode you can get unlocked fps with vsync through a roundabout way. This seems to be much smoother than "fast sync" with the same result of an unlocked framerate too. But some newer games seem to use a more recent API to disable vsync on just their window which is a bother for this method. Using vsync in the game or even forcing it in the driver sometimes makes the frame pacing issues come back.

What is even more odd is that it can happen on the same engine from game to game. For example, Titanfall 2 is one of those "just smooth" games, hardly matters what you do with the settings, frame pacing is just perfect. Apex meanwhile can't get to be perfectly smooth almost no matter what you try. Battlefield 1 is "just smooth", BFV, frame pacing issues all day. I wish I knew what the difference was.

Don't know if that helps, but those alternative sync options like scanline sync may be something to try at least.