How overclocking affects windows

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SentinelAeon, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SentinelAeon

SentinelAeon Guest

GPU:
    7950 HD
    Hello,

I have my trusted i5 2500K on 4Ghz, plan on OCing to 4.5Ghz soon. What i do not know is whether to overclock ram and tighten timings. What i need is some benchmarks on how OCing cpu, ram and timings affects windows environment (obviously i dont need game benchmarks because there is plenty of that).
    What i am most interested in is how OCing ram and timings affect things like winrar, moving files, using chrome with lots of tabs, etc. Since i am not playing any demanding game atm, i am wondering how overclocking will affect my everyday work in terms of making it more snappy.

Thank you in advance

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Sure it makes difference in daily work, WinRAR has a built in benchmark under tools tab just for instance. Couple seconds on WinRaR doesn't really matter but it will speed up encoding, video stuff ect. But how much you test and run bench programs that test that stuff not gaming bench.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Generally speaking, in typical desktop usage, you will not notice at all. Sure if you have specific programs that benefit from more processor or GPU horsepower, you'd see some benefits. If, you're talking about gaming benefits, I gain, ~20% overall increase in FPS with the combined CPU and GPU overclock. As I don't have C-states disabled I get the same power savings as running at stock clocks on the desktop. So it depends upon your usage, how much you benefit.

Dragondale13 likes this.
  4. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Overclocking ram only benefits gaming benchmarks really, won't notice the difference in gaming.Overclocking the CPU alone is enough.
    Core speed will always trump fsb.

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I use my 2500K at stock clocks for normal use. IMO, OCing is not needed for non-gaming tasks. At least I don't feel any need for it. Everything I do feels perfectly fine.

I OC to 4.2GHz when running a game where the CPU is the bottleneck.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Windows becomes Linux?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    You are asking this because of?

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Everything you cache into ram can fail if the pc crashes, its not ideal. As for ssd im happy with sata3 ssd, games load up fast as well as pc. I dont think difference would be that huge with nvme for most people.

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    This is the very reason I've bought a 1TB SATA SSD just for running my computer fully on Linux. When NVMe drives will drop in price, I might consider getting another one. The only difference in overall speed so to say I've noticed is when exporting/rendering Kdenlive on NVMe drive.

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It was a joke suggestion to the title of the thread.

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Duh, now I see...
    [​IMG]

mbk1969 likes this.
  12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well you will certainly notice a faster boot time. 99% of the time you won't notice a thing on the desktop. I guess if your work load consists of constant reboots, NVMe might be the most bang for the buck. Personally I'd decide this per system, per user and per their usage case.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can add that RAM bottlenecks CPU. Because of that we have increasing amounts of cache memory sitting between CPU and RAM.