How much system memory do I need and how do I set the memory clock speed??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by pmt411, Mar 7, 2013.

1. pmt411

pmt411 Active Member

GPU:
    Twin SC Evga Titans
    I see lots of systems of Guru board members with 16-32 gigs of ram. I only have 6 gigs and wonder what advantage if any, all the extra memory brings to the perfromance table. Additionally, I was wondering how to actually set the speed of the memory, it probably is done in the bios with the timming settings but I really dont know how to ensure that my memory is running as fast as it is supposed to or is capable of. Also, can you mix additional ram that has faster speeds with ram that you already have without a conflict. My 6 gigs of ram is rated at 16000 but newer stuff in the 20000 is available and with reasonable prices unlike when I bought the 6 gigs 4 years ago and paid $480 for 6 gigs. I would appreciate some guidance in this matter, thanks!

2. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    You only need as much ram as you will use, it's as simple as that. Caching stuff on ram is nice mainly if you don't have an SSD. If you don't fill up 6gb ram then your really fine with that still but it's pretty cheap atm so if you think you would ever fill it then stepping up to 12gb may be a good idea.

As for speed it doesn't have much effect on system performance so you'll see almost no gain from ram over 1600MHz.