1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you guys alter windows default configurations?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by F1refly, Jun 4, 2010.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Curiosity. How much customizing do you guys do to your Windows OS from default settings from a new install?

like do you spend a lot of time changing whats in your startmenu, hiding/unhiding folders, changing views, fonts, power settings, remove optional components, make desktop shortcuts to all you need and change nothing or just use a 3rd party app to tweak its options and forget them. Do you search for files or do you manually browse them?

i asked cause i noticed my g/f's laptop, all shortcuts are on desktop and absolutly nothing is changed from default install and half the shortcuts were junk she doesnt even use or know what it is like the Java installer which was installed months ago.
    while i on the other hand have to have every function set just perfect, i change the settings on every folder, add shortuts to specific files on folders, change viewtype for each folder, clear clutter and organize startmenu icons, hide certain folders i dont use, unhide the appdata, change folder icons cause i hate yellow and i wont even go into how often i change my desktop background, docks..etc........:bang:

and now i'm thinking, why do i do that? i think i file browse too much instead of creating some shortcuts, i tweak and alter most every setting that has no effect on me browsing web or playing games and i never use search. though windows 7 search sucks, i need a good search app that has search box on my taskbar or something. I change settings so much i sometimes screw up the system where something doesnt work right or icons wont show..etc. or i'm just having an enthusiast breakdown. :grab:
    Can't get Just Cause 2 to run so now i'm thinking to do yet another reformat even though i do it too often as it is, i think i abuse the OS. :pc1:

2. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I hate icons on my desktop, I use the taskbar in win 7 for games and stuff I use all the time. In the start menu on word or excel or adobe win 7 has a sort of dropdown menu of frequently used items. I only have 2 shortcuts on my desktop, 1 for my college folder and 1 for the recycle bin.

I only have 11 "buttons" on the taskbar.

3. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Well, I've been using these http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html for years (among some other tweaks) and have always had great success with them. Basically, I leave very few settings in Windows at default.

4. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 GAMING OC
    Yea I tend to tighten every perceivable nut and bolt in my os, but I never mod it with theme packs or junk like that. (I tend to think most third party tools mess stuff up, besides most people don't fully utilize what tools are included in the os) But most of my settings are seldom ms defaults...

One thing in particular I like is custom toolbars to avoid numerous icons everywhere. Like for my copy of cs5

Yea an you'll probobly do that again unless you figure out what specifically caused JC2 not to work.......

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    One thing i hate (in before OCD) is those shortcut arrows, thankfully they can be easily removed

but i normally tend on a fresh install is to install everything i need then go through services/msconfig and remove things that arent needed or i want need

6. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I do the basic SSD stuff, plus putting my documents on my TB hard drive. Change the pictures folder to a downloads folder...But that's about it really, not big for tweaking. The gain is nill to negative.

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, considering my Windows installation is a Server OS, the base configuration is completely useless (even as a Server, you will have to add Roles so the Server OS is actually useful) unless you configure it to your liking lol. The base configuration only gives you a basic desktop with a Server Manager, Internet Explorer and base system tools. Then you have to install the rest. If you want it to work like a full fledge desktop, I have to install Desktop Experience and turn off Server-only functions like Shutdown logger and etc.

Much to tweak but at the end it's worth it as the Server OS is a lot more responsive than Windows 7 itself. With more tweaking I get every feature on Windows 7 and more (except Media Center, haven't figured that one out yet).

EDIT: For those who are interested in the specific version of Windows I'm running. My system is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition (64-bit only OS btw). License courtesy of the Microsoft DreamSpark program. All post-secondary institutions are eligible and only for computer science or information technology students though.

deltatux

8. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I'll go pretty far as tweaking stuff is pretty much mandatory to my pleasure of usage. Stock configs tend to make feel like being treated like a noob by the OS. So I'll go in manually and adjust everything that I view as necessary to be tweaked to enhance my user pleasure. I used to use 3rd party stuff back in the day like TweakUI. But having learned the how's, what's, where's, and stuff I love to take the time and do the equivalent manually. I do like to have a few things on the desktop because to me that's why it's there but nothing excessive. Mainly the stuff I use the most and a few other things to make life a little easier in my eyes are what occupies the desktop.

9. FannBlade

FannBlade Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 + GTX 260
    That sounds like me....one little glitch and I'm grabbing the OS disk. I spend more time on the phone with MS for activation than I do talking to my wife.
    I was hoping there were others (overformatters) out there.

10. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    i spend 2-3hrs on server 2003/2008 depending what I am setting it up for and my optimizations and tweaks of course some tweaks are others ideas first

The only thing I cant convince is Creative and Asus Audio cards to work on a 32bit OS with 8gb-16gb with enterprise. I have got all other CMI, Realtek, VIA, and etc working with it hunky dory. I have found it in a limitation in the drivers but what I can no figure out is the same chipset in the Asus card on an onboard works perfect but cant figure out how to properlly implement the new .sys file into the Asus Driver properlly.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Services
    Page file
    File/Folder permissions
    TCPIP settings
    Boot Loader settings
    HDD cluster size
    Environment Variables
    Misc. registry hacks
    Uninstall Windows programs

Usually takes a couple of hours..

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    ANN Classic Shell (sourceforge.net)
    Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager

Windows 7's built-in customization features to do the rest. Done in less than 15 minutes. ;)

13. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? It usually takes me an hour to set up a fresh Server OS to become a workstation OS that's basically Windows 7 but better.

deltatux

14. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I used to waste hours tweaking and customizing everything. Now I just make a few changes to the start menu, customize the right click options, clean up the desktop, and shut off stupid crap like System Restore and Auto updates. Takes about 5 or 10 minutes. I just stopped caring. If I had a slow PC I would do more but I figure it's easier to waste a miniscule amount of system resources than it is to do all that crap that I used to do.

15. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    If you've got Vista or Seven, try Ultimate Windows Tweaker:

http://www.winvistaclub.com/uwtf.html

Even though it's just one of those apps which are about as good as the God Folder, it does have two nifty features. You can remove shortcut arrows, and you can edit the login wallpaper. :D

16. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    <--------------------------->

About that much.

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    820M/2GB
    These two features are present in Yamicsoft Windows 7 manager too. Amoung other very useful stuff, that is. Such as making Windows 7 not only look better. But making it faster and less daunting, too. Anyway.

18. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Over the years, I've grown quite lazy. Whenever I do a tweak I know "this should be applied to all installs" I dump things in a .reg or .cmd and add the script/registry-import to my "freshinstall.cmd" file stored on my server. After fresh install (both for my laptop and my workstation) from WDS, the login script (I run ActiveDirectory) checks if the freshinstall script has been run or not, and executes the script if not. The script checks the mac adress of the primary network connection against a file stored on the server, and runs driver-installs (or fires up ThinInstaller for the laptops), then installs applications based on what user the machine is allocated for (office, creative suite, DxO Optics, vmware vsphere client, lightroom, spyder, etc). OK, so that script doesn't have a cute, fancy gui with glossy overlays and hexagonal buttons, but it gets the job done. ;) And ... there are quite a few tweaks in those scripts. Including stuff like setting up the memoryusage via fsutil. ;)

//Svein

19. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I spend some time in registry tweaking so takes a tad bit longer then usual

20. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Is it going to revert the settings after the 15 day trial? :nerd:

I reckon it will, otherwise, they wouldn't sell a single copy ;)