How much can u bench?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Heh, one thing at a time :D

Moderating carbs on a 4 day cycle is the best way to do that though. For instance, 250 day 1, 200 day 2, 150 day 3, day 4 100...then start day 1 with 250. You can also do 150 for 3 straight days, and jump to 200-250 on the fourth day.

That can be quite tough though, so concentrate on that once you reach your strength max.

In the meantime, take you time doing bench with 3-5 minute rest periods between sets, then take no more than 90 seconds in between sets on all other excercises. That will help keep your heart rate elevated to burn calories. You must take your time on bench's though.....and do them first thing......the first day of the week.

2. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Hmm... so limiting cals is the way to get cut? So its a myth about the "lots of reps to get cut" situation?

3. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    How many times can you bench 185?

Your rep pattern should be something like 135 for 10, 165 for 10 (even though you can do more), 185 for 6 and 205 for 3-4 (use a spotter of course)

Chest:

BB Bench 5 sets 4-10 reps
    Incline DB Press 3 sets 6-12 reps
    DB Fly 3 sets of 12
    Parallel Dip 1 set with bodyweight to absolute failure - this will hurt really bad, but work damn good

That is a total of 12 sets which is a gracious plenty to fatigue your pecs.

Eat a bare minimum 1 gram per pound of bodyweight as well. Without adequate protein, all of your work will go down the drain.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  4. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    No. It is not a myth. High reps work very well in conjuction with a moderated carb diet - especially supersets. High reps help develop "striations" in the muscles fibre if done properly with slow negatives.

High reps alone are not enough though.

5. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Whats the parallel dip? Oh, and I dont know how many times I can do 185... never worked out with that weight before. As u can see, my schools weight "program" or the way they do things is pretty sucky. [2A High school] They sometimes get us on a Circuit and I consider that time wasted. I just go in and lift by myself later. But I'll find a spotter. ;)

6. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Supersets? I know that slow negatives is like "going down slowly" on the bench...

7. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Here is what a parallel bar dip looks like
    [​IMG]
    The weights are optional ;) That is not me btw :p

If you can do 225 1 time, you should be able to mange 185 for about 6 reps, and 205 for about 3 reps.

You can also talk to the school strength coach. He should be able to help as well :)

8. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Doing two excercises without pausing - DB Bench then go straight to DB Fly's.

Or, if you want to punish yourself...leg extensions followed with squats...or squats followed with lunges.

Of course, any two excercises back to back is a superset. This type of training works very good for arms....bicep/tricep. You can get a good pump that way.

9. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    BEAST! :D Well we do have a parallel bar... just never made the connection. haha. And we dont really have a strength coach. We just have a head coach who kinda controlls everything.... Ya I do that for arm workouts but never knew what it was called. :p

10. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    K, well I'll try some of this stuff tommorrow and see what happenes. Im a vegetarian so I take protein up the butt... :D [NOT literally, but I take a lot] :D I'll talk 2 ya soon on how it goes... BTW I have a game sometime this week that will qualify us for the 2A State High School Basketball Tournament... we'd better get IN!!! Wish us luck. We're the "Chargers" btw. ;)

11. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Dang... Im just askin lots of quesions today... :D Well u know the muscles right above the shoulder, the ones next to the neck; well I wanna get those worked out just for looks. Is shrugs the only thing I can do? I wanna look even more beastly. :D ROAR!! haha

12. dzlx

dzlx Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GF6800 Ultra

Yes i know how Arnolds training looked like cause i too have seen pumping iron. Ive been in sports all my life swiming, road cycling where i was winning country championship medals and last 7 years in the gym. For the last 3 years i have been training 5 - 6 times a week 2 - 3 hours a day and my progress was great and still is, i now have my friend train with me following my training patterns and eating programs and hes allso making great progres so clearly im doing something right, ive talked to a lot of profesional bodybuilders, thai boxers (including Mirko CRO COP Filipovic whome i know from my gym) and they all agreed that 70 percent is food and 30 everything else, Of course everything will go much faster if you suplement with anabolics but thats a different storie !
    AJ,06 for bench you moastly do heavy triceps, deltoid and latisimus exercises but before that doo bench press with about 50 - 60 percent of your 1 rep max but you need to explode the bar off the chest and do about 10 sets of 3 - 5 reps with no more than 45 seconds between sets. Ah yes and another thing you will have a harder time gaining muscle since you dont eat meat and meat should be n1 protein source in BB menue, (i used to eat 0.5 KG of meat a day (horse, chiken, etc)
    Damn i wrote too mutch, cya :rolleyes:

13. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080
    sveeet.

14. Brendruis

Brendruis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Reference GTX 680 SLI
    Hmm there are some remarkable claims here. I'm 22 years old, 5'8 , 227 lbs and I can bench 290 8 reps, and max out at 315 2 or 3 reps on a good day. Might be able to do better if I camped out at the gym every single day. peace :cool:

P.S.: I can also vertical leg press 900 pounds.

15. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Haha... some ppl just tend to do that... O well. :shrug:

16. nyy22k4ws

nyy22k4ws Banned

GPU:
    2 8800GT 512mb SLI
    I got a kid at my schol who is 17, 6'2, 245 can bench 500 and squat 700. Thank god hes my friend lol

17. KornHoLio

KornHoLio Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS Excalibur 9800 Pro 128
    hahahha lucky punk!

18. nyy22k4ws

nyy22k4ws Banned

GPU:
    2 8800GT 512mb SLI
    yea thats right, im 6'0 160, bench about 180, and i get him to be my body guard lol

19. Daimerous

Daimerous Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS on 2 SyncMaster 205BWS
    When I was in highschool, that's when I worked out for football, I weighed 185 lbs at 5'7" and could bench 265 lbs 4 times. I could deadlift 500 lbsmax 1 time, and my alltime best lift was the inclined leg press, and I did 1010 lbs. People are probably going to say "no, you're lying", but I promise I wasn't. Oh, I can't run for my life. Best mile was about 12min+. I was a lineman in football as you can see.
    I had a great coach that was massive. He used to train with the guys that do that "Worlds Strongest Man " contests.
    Just to help show you I am not lying, I now weigh about 255. I can barely bench 125 anymore and I probably couldn't finish a mile if I tried. I got horribly out of shape after depression hit me.
    So there. That was me then. I wish I could be like that again one day.

20. Sota

Sota Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Excercise is great for helping alleviate depression. Your muscles have all of your past stored in "muscle memory". In a years time you'll be back to normal - you are only 22. Go hit it dude :D