1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by DerSchniffles, Jan 23, 2012.

?

How many languages do you fluently speak?

1. 1

40 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. 2 (including your native language)

28 vote(s)
    31.1%
  3. 3

14 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. 4

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. More than 5

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Gracias!!

ummmm.....let me think haha. i know ill mess this up....

Quiero aprendar rapido (or is it rapidamente?)

its hard to learn at school because all they do is make you learn all the verbs and their forms instead of the damn language themselves. my only saving grace is the fact that my girlfriend is hispanic (she is from morelia) and can help me with the fluency part.

*side note, anticupidon, you have a pm ;)

2. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I speak 3 languages at native proficiency level: Serbian, Hungarian and English.

I'm bilingual in Serbian and Hungarian and in the UK, I'm often mistaken for a native.

3. S3rgin

S3rgin Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080Ti FE
    3 languages for me:

brazilian portuguese: native language
    french
    english

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    English fluently (native language).
    German (to GCSE)
    French (to GCSE)
    Bits of Japanese.

5. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    English (native)
    Redneck (second)

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 580
    Spanish (native language)
    English
    Italian
    and some German that i learned while i was in the US Army Stationed in Germany.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 380 4gb
    Wihtout programming languages (C#, C/C++, Java, VB, HTML, PHP...) it would be 3.

Savo
    Finnish
    English

Some Swedish too, but not much.

8. kopekbaligi

kopekbaligi Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5870 1GB
    I am stutter. Because of the fact that has just been referred to, I am not fluent at any language, even at my native.

While considered the statement I have issued above, I'll dare to contradict you by saying languages which I know.

Turkish as native
    English, forever learner
    German, ein bisschen

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  9. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    I speak 2 . English and bad English :kermit:

Living in texas i know a little spanish

Used to chat to this Girl in Bulgaria , so i know a few words from that . Obicham te Gurua3d :p

Was really sad she went to college for 4 or 6 years , she new 12 languages and was only making like $150 US a month in Sofia . Lost track of her a few years back , Hope she is doing well

10. PistolGripPump

PistolGripPump Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 260 896MB
    English(native)
    Spanish
    Portuguese

Yo también tengo una novia de México y ya fui a México unas cuantas veces. Me encanta México y me encanta la comida, especialmente los tacos jajaja

11. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Master Guru

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    english
    japanese

few word in german and fench

12. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think nowadays you are almost required to learn a second language to get by as educated or just plain get by.

13. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    English as my native language and I've had a year and a bit of Russian, though I've stopped that to focus on my business and Japanese classes. Speaking of Japanese I'm 'technically' in my third year of study, but because I switched programs I'm in the second level (I took first year twice because the two programs were very different in focus and content. One was speaking oriented and the other writing). I'm not very good at Spanish but I would be quick to pick it up because I had a good base for it. I want to learn German and Norwegian as well, once I finish Japanese and Russian.

14. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    I speak 4 languages.

Dutch
    English
    German
    Surinamese

I'd Like to learn spanish and japanese.

15. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    thats a big reason why im learning spanish. there are so many immigrants here in the US (not just hispanic) and the number is growing fast. If you want to get anywhere in the buisness world in 10-20 years (anywhere in the world really), you better speak more than just english. Having a wonderful hispanic girlfriend is just another reason to speak spanish ;).

Part of the reason why I started this poll is because I just think its crazy on how many other countries have people that speak 2, 3, 4 or even more languages and America has very few people that speak more thhan just english. Its wierd lol.

16. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 980TI Classified
    Well in most countries, people have their native tongue and english is probably the most universal language in the world, so people are 'forced' to learn it if they wanna get by in another country which makes 2.

Also If a person moves to another country that doesn't have english as it main language, they are most likely to learn, the native language of that country + english on top of their own language already making 3.

And some people just like to learn new languages:p

17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    Indonesian and English
    some native Indonesian languages like Sundanese and Javanese

Have been wanting to learn German and Italian for so long but don't have the time and extra money to spend on the course. I want to learn those two because I took vocal lesson and most repertoires are on those languages

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Currently Gibberish If I am angry or drinking lets just say its not english....

19. DerSchniffles

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    well i guess thats kinda the point. english is "kinda" the universal language. but most americans dont just get up and move to another country. it seems like a much more common thing in other smaller countries to move a few hundred miles and be in a different country or in the same country but that part of the country speaks 2 different languages so your forced to learn that other language.....its kinda crazy haha. seeing how worldly everything is getting and social media paving the way for a "united world" so to speak is getting more and more common place. just look at this forum for example. this thread is a perfect example of a place dedicated to tech hardware and there are TONS of people who speak more than one language. if this was an american site, the amount of people who speak more than english would be much smaller. thats changing as well. its just crazy to see and im really glad im learning another language. hopefully when i start getting proficient in spanish i can move on to german. but one step at a time ;)

20. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Finnish
    English
    Swedish
    German
    could get along with any of those but the last two could benefit of some intensive language immersion as the usage of them is pretty minimal.
    I'm going to learn Estonian next.