How many here make their living in IT?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SweenJM, Nov 28, 2019.

1. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Just out of curiosity. I have always found it good to know all the techs i can (in any field, really). I work for myself as a network admin/slave and I do PC stuff of all flavors. I am blessed with colleagues that have different specialties than my own (which is definitely networks) as it allows several boneyards to pick from and other workshops to use if needed. Anyways, I want to here from the Guru3d crowd who is out there getting their computer hustle on? I am sure it has been asked before, but hey, it makes for interesting conversation.

SerotoNiN and 386SX like this.
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    I work as a software dev.

SweenJM likes this.
  3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Here Mate. Its all I ever did.

SweenJM likes this.
  4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I punch keyboard whole day.

SweenJM likes this.

5. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I got out. I'm happier now.

6. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    <== BOFH ... I need your user ID. :D

SweenJM likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega/Navi
    I am on the verge to get certified and dig deeper in IT or start a bussines somehow related to IT.
    I am at the crossroads, and still undecided. All guys I know in IT they earn big bucks, but live miserable lives.(no offense)
    I think that money matters, but quality of life and stay away from stress matters more.
    Now, I fix computer and troubleshoot systems.

SerotoNiN and SweenJM like this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    Software Development Studio.

SweenJM likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Programmer since 1992.
    1) Mainframe assembler, Fortran, PL/1.
    2) Pascal (TurboPascal from Borland), C (QuickC from Microsoft), Basic (QuickBasic from Microsoft), x86 assembler (TASM from Borland, MASM from Microsoft), Clipper (first contact with databases).
    3) C++ (VisualStudio 6,2010 from Microsoft), VisualBasic for Applications (you know from who), various SQL (sporadically).
    4) C# (VisualStudio 2012, 2015, 2017 from Microsoft), PowerShell, PostgreSql.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  10. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2080 Ti
    Consultant, mostly enterprise.

SweenJM likes this.

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I do software dev. Almost had a sick job at Amazon but couldn't land the final round interview a few weeks ago :(

SweenJM likes this.
  12. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Used to be Application Developer (C++ / Java / SAP Abap), now it's more along the lines of solution expert. Basically did everything that needs to be done from concepts, data analysis, programming, testing, support.

SweenJM likes this.
  13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Web dev (full-stack) here.

SweenJM likes this.
  14. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Typical IT guy here aka Active Directory password reset dude.

It's a thankless job. You only hear from people when things are down and they're angry or in a rush. The 24/7 nature of it is the worst part. Count me in with being miserable at times.

SpajdrEX, Dragam1337, SweenJM and 2 others like this.
  15. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 2080 Super
    c++, Java and lots of meetings

SweenJM likes this.

16. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I partially disagree. As a BOFH I can tell you nothing gets you more respect than doing backups of their critical files. "OH! Nice project files you have here. Would be a shame if something happens to it while I do the backup, right? How long did you work on this? MONTHS you say ... hmmm must be important I guess. But out of PURE curiosity ... How long would you need to get to this point if something ... *dramatic pause* ... happened to those files?"

You will get your coffee very morning. From HR. Straight to your desk. Waiting for you 2 minutes before your shift starts. :D

mbk1969 and SweenJM like this.
  17. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    The thing that really got to me is having the same customers make the same mistakes forever, no matter how you tried to teach them otherwise. I did sales/repair/service for a number of years. Somehow, some people just can't pick up on cues when it comes to computers. If you're doing service work it's great having repeat business, but it wears on the soul quite a bit, as you will never feel like you've accomplished anything. The other side for me was field work, which again paid well but I had to go to ridiculous lengths sometimes just to get to the location (one time I got paid for 3 hours' work plus travel for flipping a switch, simply because it took so long to get clearance into the equipment room). Also the hours were horrible.

I don't know what my career will be in the future, but I'm currently delivering pizza in a nice neighborhood, which pays surprisingly well for unskilled labor, and I'm a happy guy now. Everyone is happy to see me when I show up. Dogs and kids just lose their minds.

18. ManofGod

ManofGod Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I do and have done so for 20 years, at least. However, I now do it as a consultant or contractor and I have no longer been in retail (ack) for at least a year now.

SweenJM likes this.
  19. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    I went to college for management of information systems. Got about 2 months of that and then drugs and alcohol happened and I dropped out.

Now I work in the agriculture industry, but I often wonder what my life would have been like if I had stayed in college.

PS: I love my current job and am drug and alcohol free now so it didn't turn out too bad.

airbud7, mbk1969 and SweenJM like this.
  20. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Gaming X SLI
    I heavily suspect that i'd be happier aswell if i got out...

SweenJM likes this.