How loud to you play your games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by DerSchniffles, Jan 23, 2019.

?

How loud do you play your games

1. Turn it up to 11!

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Loud - I love immersion!

16 vote(s)
    32.7%
  3. Medium - Enough to hear well

33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  4. Quiet- Sound is not that important to me

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Who plays games with sound?!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Does it matter? I set it and forget it

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Indeed! I use a Fiio E10k and AKG 553 Pro headphones, I can't turn up the amp very much without the volume getting crazy loud. About a quarter of the way up is all I can handle without becoming uncomfortable. What kind of serious hardware do you have?! You must reveal yourself! ;)

Mufflore likes this.
  2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol ok.

I built my front+surround speakers, the fronts are 10" transmission line bass, quite sensitive at 91dB spl @1W/1m.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/new-speakers-omg.329128/ (images are dead now)
    They will take 1KW RMS and are good to 22Hz. They are hooked to an Emotiva XPA-2 @ 300W/ch RMS <- proper watts!
    The surrounds and satellites are powered by a Denon X4400H @ 200W/ch fake AVR watts, still good enough though.
    And a BK monolith sub for great extension to 15Hz @ 300W.

The power LEDs on the Emotiva amp rarely register more than 3/10 under storming bass that wont make friends with the neighbors in a detached house.
    Under normal use the LEDs dont light.
    The sub is hardly turned up either, its fantastic.
    I've accidentally had the front amp run with max input a few times, I go into some kind of shock each time!

My headphones are similarly mental, Meze Empyrean on a Bottlehead Mainline tube amp (built this too https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/bottlehead-mainline-high-end-headphone-amp-build.423969/ ).
    The headphones give 100dB @1mW with a max over 130dB.
    The amp can supply 600mW, good for over 127dB!

One of my DACs volume is controlled from my PC and feeds directly into the XPA-2 and headphone amp.
    Unfortunately my mouse has a spinny mouse wheel.
    Not fun when I accidentally sweep it while hovering over the volume.
    Sounds great though, or at least for as long as my hearing holds out :D

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Damn! Some impressive stuff! My 5.2.2 cries in shame haha! Nah its excellent but nothing near high end. You even went into the crazy DIY stuff, thats awesome. And the price of those headphones, jeez man! Does it sound like gold is dripping on your head? Does your heart flutter when using them? Ive never listened to anything like that, I bet its unreal. Ive been slowly climbing into the audio world, its incredible how much good audio hardware can make a difference. Thanks for sharing!

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Never mentioned amps. Not a high end audiophile like you at all. In my experience with regular minijack audio headphones they have been more or less sound the same. Last 3-4 of them anyway. Its good really, means ive not had to sell any kidneys for an audio setup. A Win for my pockets

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Lol, you're not far off the mark, these headphones are something else.
    My hifi sounds fantastic, these are a level above I didnt think could exist. But they dont properly shine unless on a really good DAC+amp.
    The only issue has been strength of bass until they are fully run in.
    I'll do a review some time soon, just waiting for the 400hr run in to finish.

6. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    I put on my headphones and have my games louder & louder until i actually feel an effect when in combat - whether that's hitting sounds in melee or gunshots & explosions. I love to be shocked by loud sounds in the middle of stealth gameplay, like in SplinterCell or AC titles.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Medium. Have 12" 200w (400w peak) sub that rattles the house if any louder.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    On the windows sound bar slider I have it set to 10 and the headphones used are Sennheiser HD280 Pro which have amazing sound quality despite their age.

9. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Medium, I use studio headphones that cut out most of the outside volume already.

I'm using a Soundblaster AE-5 and AKG 270 Pro and usually only use soundvolume 4.

Computer is completely silent apart from WD Red 8TB which has read and write which are audible unlike past 4TB Green series, much to my disappointment. Not even Scythe quiet drives silence the reads and writes.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The volume nob on my speaker controller lights up sections as you turn it up. The are seven sections.
    And the nob clicks three times with each of those sections.

I normally keep the volume on the third sections, second click.
    They are pretty decent Logitech speakers, so they don't have to be turned up too loud.

11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Play exclusively in 5.1. My PC is not built for silence, loud pump Noctua Industrials going at 2000rpm so I run my Z906s at 50% and Windows volume at 50%