How long without a reboot?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SniperDaws, Aug 23, 2006.

1. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    Whats the longest you have had winXP running for without having to format and reinstall it?

ive had mine going now for 8months and its starting to f*ckup!!!!!!!!

2. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I had my probably last ever XP install last about 6 months before the video card stopped working.

Vista has been fine since the release of beta 2, whenever that was.

3. Pitman

Pitman Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 260
    Ive been using the same installation of XP since i build my pc 1 yeart and 8 months ago. Its been close to death on a few occations lol but thanx to registry backups and a few OS repairs its just about survived. A few things are messed up tho, like certain progs that use windows intaller wont install, in my main account anyway, ive got a secondary one that pretty much everything works on.

4. stealthmaker

stealthmaker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI 5770 1GB
    3 years on a laptop... granted, i dont use it much and not many programs are installed on it.
    as for my main pc, the longest ive had it was about 9 months.

5. vikrant_leo

vikrant_leo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATi X800 & Nvidia 7800GTOC
    about 4 mnths for me now and i think i need a re install already

6. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    6 months at home due to a new rig, 3 years at work (which has many more programs installed) and flies smooth like a baby. Reformat is the very last resource, knowing the registry is everything...

7. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    since last april..now how long was that?...

8. shodai

shodai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7950gt 550/1400 w/vf900
    I've never had to reinstall, I only do it when i get a new (main)HDD/Mobo/CPU. So uh, once every year or two I guess.

9. Sieras

Sieras Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    It's about 7 months now, and it is still working great and fast :p

10. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i say its good to remaster every 6month who's with me

11. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2060 Ventus OC
    How long without a "reboot" which is the topic's question?? This machine stays on 24/7 unless an update requires a reboot.

New install? Only for major hardware upgrades....none of our computers will see any more of those.

12. Tokintegra

Tokintegra Master Guru

GPU:
    3x BFG 8800GTX OC2 on h20
    Lol,,, every 6 months for me, like clockwork. Even with my stock hp i got in 2001. Course, i also enjoy setting everything back and starting over again. I tend to accumulate junk like crazy.

13. Andrés

Andrés Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950 2Gb
    Sure, it´s good, nobody can deny that. But it has a cost: time. So it depends on whether people want to spend time on it or not. Some people seem to enjoy it, some don´t care, and others like me think is a waste of time to reformat or remaster when you can fix it by much less invasive means.

Andrés

14. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    XP: 6 months.
    98: 6 years (my first rig... I was a n00b back then)

I can install XP and have everything ready in record time: 1:30. Tweaking XP with nLite (applying the tweaks you do after an install, and disabling some internal settings like SFC) makes the windows installation itself take no longer than half an hour on my rig. The annoying thing is installing every fvcking program again... So, everytime I feel it's running slow, or it gets fvcked up thanks to some virii, I like formatting and reinstalling.

15. DlocPuWons

DlocPuWons Master Guru

GPU:
    2x SLI eVGA Gefore 7800GT 460/1200
    I have never NEEDED to reformat, but I do everynow and then. If you have good maintenance habits, you never need to.

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    2 months

17. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Win i got my new video card. Hmm win was canada again.

18. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080

Same here, ive never NEEDED to reformat I just do it every so often outa habit to keep things all nice and running well

19. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    It's good to see how many people are running XP with some of the updates that require reboots.

Desktop wise, I don't keep it on unless I don't need it, so usually a week or so at the most.

Any servers I can keep running for as long as I want, providing I don't get Power issues hen UPS issues :) then again, it's Linux, my Windows servers don't fair quite so well.

20. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    I think most are talking about reinstall not reboot. The title of the thread don't seem to match the rest of the thread. :D

I reboot on offline defrags and when i feel it's time. Personally i think it's wise to reboot the system, maybe more often then others might think it is. On a workstation there is no penalty for reboot only gain, on servers well time is money and down time is not good.

Reinstalling i only do when i have to, i can't even remember how long it's been so i would guess a year or more. But it very much depend on both personal preference and just how bad you treat your system. But maybe more important how well prepared you are for the install.

Some like to do repair installs and refresh the system files. Some just keep a image and work from there. Others use custom made CD every time and inclued new drivers/hotfixes etc. The msfn board has a lot of info on this stuff http://www.msfn.org (down for maintenance at time of writing)