How long is it safe for an "average" PC to keep running?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HamsterCrispy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    During holidays when I spent most of my time at home I always worry if the computer turned on too long. Now I know I don't need to worry. Thanks HamsterCrispy for starting this thread, and for all the guys for the replies :D

2. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    This thread makes me tempted to silence/delightify (new word :eek:) my computer and leave it on 24/7 instead of my server. It's gone in and out of sleep all day since i haven't been using it much with people over, can't be good for it going from 20c to 28-30c then back to 20c etc!

3. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    This post got me thinking ~ hard!

Since I use my PC everyday when I come home after work. So its turned off the whole day and turned on the whole night up until early morning.

Lol, this is so true. When new technology comes out (like every 6 months) you guys always upgrade :D

4. XL_ence

XL_ence Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 670 DC2T
    I think keeping all those electronics in a heated environment is more damaging. All electronics have their life expectancy go down with heat and applied voltage.

But these systems were designed to be able to be on 24/7, so you should expect a good, long life either way.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

5. Lethal Abz

Lethal Abz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 470
    Bit of a waste if its sitting there doing nothing.