How long do you guys think ATI 5xxx series can still perform well?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gamer1291, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    I'm thinking about skipping over to 7970 from my 5850s. I wonder what the performance boost would be?

2. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 G1 Gaming
    I'm thinking the same thing, but now considering lots of console ports games I think 5850 CF can still perform for at least another year for 1920x1080 with reasonable AA & AF quality.

Until new console launched, I don't think the Bar on graphic quality will be raised for all developer. Diablo III and DotA 2 for examples, games that I have waited for years seems to be friendly to mainstream PCs....
    Mass effect, AC Revelation, Skyrim, pretty much all games can run butter smooth (if CF is supported) on my config.

The benefit of upgrading to 7970/50 is no more CF driver issue and higher res/higher AA due to huge memory they have. Of which monitor beyond 1080p is not mainstream yet....

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    give us better optimized games for our hardware.
    the point is that lesser and lesser game devs are coding old school way...just a bunch of code mixed/patched/poorly optimized and bam! we need more hardware power !!

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Thanks for the input.

You are right that few games today pose a real problem for 5850CF. Those I can think of right now (that I play) would be BF3 Ultra (not enough VRAM & processing power), TERA online (no profile), Crysis 2 with HD-pack (poor tesselation performerance & lack of VRAM).

The bigger benefit would be dealing with one card = less heat, less noise and no future problems with CFX profiles (remember Skyrim, Rage, Witcher 2 which were not playable for weeks). Also I have a custom problem which is that the fan on my ref card sometimes emits coil whine simply due to the fact that it's quite old.

The downside is that you have to cough up a huge sum of money but on the other hand you'll then have the fastest card on the planet (at least now) which will serve you well for 1½ year until it's time to get another one and run CFX again :) If I get a 7970 I'll most likely skip 8xxx and 9xxx series.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I think 5870 are enough yet for still get a good experience at 1920x1080... maybe with less AA, and ofc less FPS in future title, and by reducing some hot settings ( HBAO etc ) ... hard to tell for future games ofc.

i have buy a 7970 for the fun, and i need say it replace really well my 2x 5870 ... sadly, i cant speak for 1x 5870 1024mb..... Well, lets not forget the 5850-5870 are allready 2 generations behind.

2x 5870 in CFX was really solid, if there's not the need for more of 1024mb of Vram.. specially with a good CPU OC ( 2600K @ 5ghz+ )...

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    So what you are saying is that you do not regret replacing your 5870CF for a 7970?

7. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Absolutely no regret ( and i still have the 2x 5870 here watercooled ) the performance are really close.
    Some games are a little bit slower ( few fps ), but for other games it is equal fps or better, specially on new titles, the adjunction of 3gb let me push way harder on some AA. textures mod
    ( Skyrim i push 2gb+ easy with some mods ( 1.7+ only with the official HQ patch ) and this is not the only game )..

AF quality have really increased ( not only by fixing the bug 5870 had in some old games ( trackmania for example, the visual quality look a bit better in general )..

AA quality is too better ...

this is at 1920x1080, i think the 7970 will be even a lot better at 2560x1600.

Ofc i speak about stock 7970, Overclocked it is then really faster of the 2x 5870..

Now, something is sure, its not a question of get rid of the "known microstutter" , i can say, i really dont see any difference on smoothness.
    ( i dont say microstutter was non exist in frametime report on my 2x 5870 system, i was not see it when playing, but now i use a single 7970, i can not see a difference with 2 or single cards about this. )

Does it make a big difference vs my 2x 5870 ? not a big difference, ... performance are close, better in some cases, ( due to the 3gb or the architecture )... At same time, i was plan to buy directly 2, and finally i will wait a little bit for the second.
    ( i wait special model as the Asus DirectCU are released, EK waterblock are available, or even maybe to see what Kepler can offer ).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I'm, not in Lane's head but, he/she has all the reasons for not regretting: same or better performance with high AA and Tessalation; 3GB of RAM; power saving features and all in a single-GPU.
    What I say (and I think most people who posted here says) is that money wise, replacing 5870 CF or 5970 for the 7970 is not worthy, even if the firsts are 2 generations behind. Performance is pretty much the same @ 1080p or 1200. If you own an Eyefinity setup, 3GB are definitely an help but, that's about it.

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Something is sure, if one day, one of your gpu die on your 5870CFX setup or 5970, no worry to have, you will not get any regret to replace it by a single 7970...

Now if your setup is fine, 2x 5870 is still extremely solid for any games..

Ofc, if like me you deal with CFX or SLI since the start ( i have start use SLI with the Nvidia 6600GT's and CFX with the X1900 series )... for replace an SLI or CFX setup, in general it can only be done with a new SLI or CFX setup.

10. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Agree 100%

11. billaa

billaa Active Member

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 670 OC
    I come within 300 points of that when I ran 3DMark 11 yesterday.
    I'd rather have my 5870.

Second time I ever ran it.

12. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    You have a good 5870 as all the ones I've compared my 5770's to
    were alot further behind than that.
    Two against one isn't fair tho:evilgrin:

But, Would rather have a strong single card as to less hassles.
    Going to pull the trigger (As Soon) as see what Kepler does.

Later:)

13. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    Not exactly what you asked for but I ran a test with my setup which generated 6871 pts.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/2812731

I bet a 7970 can generate at least 8200pts at stock and most likely 8500 OCed. Or even more?

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    ^most 7970's generate between 10 and 11k in 3dmark11 when overclocked using standard air cooling (around 1.2 to 1.3GHz on core) and a recent processor.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080Ti
    In gaming FPS I suppose it would be about 10fps boost.

16. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 G1 Gaming
    one of my 5850 died..... time to consider GTX680 or AMD7970 i guess....

17. ankinferno

ankinferno Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 840M
    hhhh Technology is taking its step much faster. .

I think. . 3 Yrs max. . that the 5XXX series will be able to handle the heat. . Then. . not anymore. . Because the Increasing Demand Of resources of the up coming games are very high. .

we have to go for a change. .

18. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    My two 5870's are stil kicking and i'm not thinking of upgrading still yet. One of the cards is showing signs of beating now, but think i'll stick with them until they blow up or something :)

19. maddy2012

maddy2012 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    i've just given in and bought a 7970, loved the 5850 but it's starting to struggle now.

20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    you still got a great card at thoses speeds, and not only that, you can play any game with X4 supersampling turned on and it will look better then nvidia's 16Xaa supersampling, I know cause I owned 5970,5870,5850,old ati and nvidia to current cards.

ati has significant better image quality when it comes to supersampling, oh yes.

So in return less gpu and vram hit, as oppose to on my card, I have to jack the settings WAY WAY up just to look good as an ati X4 AASS and the vram hit is incredible, way over 1gb vram and major gpu hit.

you still got a nice card. I would keep it as a backup if need be.

Nvidia iq is excellent if its cranked up to like 32xS [Combined: 2x2 SS + 8x MS] + 8X SparseGrid aa but it takes absolutely tremendous gpu hit and vram BIG TIME, at theses insane settings, it does look better then X16 Supersampling Bias.

Do not run theses settings with today games unless vram is at least 2gb and multi gpu setup, even with that it will run any cards to its royal good for nothing Knees.

Older games, no problem, todays games, forget it.

I tried tera online, and I back down to 8xSQ [Combined: 2x2 SS + 2x MS] +2/4 SparseGrid aa and the game doesnt even comes close to 30 fps and both gpus are @ 100%. Looks incredible at higher aa settings but fps moves to 1 fps, lol, not enough vram and gpu power.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012