1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long do you guys think ATI 5xxx series can still perform well?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gamer1291, Feb 1, 2012.

1. gamer1291

gamer1291 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX-GTX-1070-O8G
    Hey guys i wanted to upgrade my 5850 toxic 1 gb but considering the performance its still giving with latest drivers i think i am still able to play many games at max settings(ok maybe a little less AA) at 1920x1080 resolution.

So what do you guys think on the upcoming games can the 5xxx series still be enough to play new games this year?.

But yea i think 5xxx series will perform a bit worse in DX 11 and Tessellation but still i think it can still give 30 fps or more in upcoming games.

2. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Upgrade when you feel you can't play something at desired settings/fps. Keep the card as long as you can, things get cheaper as time goes on. There is hardly anything worth upgrading to from a 5850 for now anyway.

3. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    As long as you are happy with the performance and settings inthe games you are playing right now then you are good to go. One day you will boot up a new game and go "uh oh...". For me that game was BF3, and oh, what a difference the upgrade did make.

Also, having a game go from performing poorly or unplayable to running great after a big upgrade really makes me feel like the money was well spent.

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti/Radeon VII
    The 5850 will do just fine for a while yet. Most games are just console ports and the 5850 has no trouble with them. I upgraded from my 5850 but to be honest it wasn't really worth it just to play one or two games at faster frame rates.

5. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    my 2 5850's do great even today. My gpu's are 2 and a half years old and still rockin.

6. pmurgs

pmurgs Member

GPU:
    Two 5850's + 5570
    Adding a second 5850 a couple months ago sorted BF3 nicely for me. The 5850's were selling nice and cheap when everyone thought the 7970 was going to be $450 or less.

5850 is still a very good card.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    My 5850s still rock the boat, no doubt of that.
    I got another 5850 a year ago and they handle BF3 really well at high/ultra mixed settings. The only drawback is that they don't have 2GB VRAM.

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    My 2 5870 still kick ballz and this in eyefintiy mode (5760x1080). BF auf high (some details auf ultra, some light AA) under constant 45...60 fps without issue. You card should last another 2 years or so.:3eyes:

9. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    BF3 in multiplayer? What settings are you using? I can get 45fps at 6080x1200 but not with shadows on any higher settings.
    For AA I assume you mean Post Process AA?

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    i don t game that much,and for my needs my 5850 is more than i could ask for.thinking that i spent a bit over 100 eu ,brand new,makes me smile
    i could add another one,and call a day
    the only thing is that 5xxx series will be left a bit in the dust as the times pases.

11. Imperious

Imperious Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward Phoenix GTX1070
    Yeah, my 5850 still going great with newer games.

I'll wait another Year for the 8950 I reckon.

Years ago a video card was good for 2 years max before an upgrade was a must, now about 3 years, but all depends on personal preference of course.

12. Portuogral

Portuogral Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I have a HD5970 clocked @ 850/1200 and I can play every single game available today in highest settings except for the Tessalation and MSAA features.
    Anyways, I don't note any difference between 2xMSAA and 4xMSAA while gaming (the differences are there but, I note them only when I stop the game action to contemplate the graphics).

As you already know for sure, is that a single Radeon 5800 isn't enough for playing most demanding games on High settings and this thread proves it: everyone who posted good 5800 series performance in recent games is on a Crossfire(X) config. In fact, those setups even beat the HD 7970 in most benchmarks.
    However, you may want to consider that getting similar performance to an HD 7970 in games like Crysis 2 and BF3 or benchmarks like Heaven Unigine you'll have to low down in game MSAA and Tessalation to x16 in CCC.

Non-DX11 games are just "eaten" to the bone by a 5800 series Crossfire setup. ;)

Johnny

13. ceesay

ceesay Master Guru

GPU:
    2-X Titan X (Pascal) -SLI
    i my tri fire still kicks ass with new games... as well with bf3 i play @ 1920x1200...:) all my games no need to get new cards yet .....

14. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980TI Gaming
    I own the card and able to play all games on very high settings with good FPS(some cpu limited games can give me trouble but that cause of CPU), the 5850 impressed me from day 1 performance was awesome, but more then this the overclocking was AWESOME, the only card that amazed me more is the 7970 7950, OC gems

15. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I do not play multiplayer, hate it so cannot answer. Only multiplayer that I did was HAWX 2 and Crysis 2 (but a little bit). I just get killed very fast :puke2: yeah I know I suck at that.

At 6080 you got bezzel correction right? Just make shore that crossfire kick in as a hammer (double ALT+TAB) and check again.

Got a question, I got uneven load in BF3, like 1 GPU (monitor connections) get max 85% and secong GPU is always 99.8% hammered. No microstuttering no issues but only this. Do you have the same??

16. dk_lightning

dk_lightning Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 4GB
    5850 is about the same speed as my 6870 and my card is still going well. Id think it keep up for a good while

17. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Ah right, its a bit slower in MP. 6080x is indeed 5760 bezel corrected. I use Afterburner to show GPU usage on the Logitech keyboard LCD. Good you mentioned the loading though, I was wondering too. My GPU1 sits at 89/90% never higher, while GPU2 goes to 99% as expected. No stuttering.
    I did consider it odd too!

18. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I don't think there are any games coming soon that will seriously tax the 5850 if you just keep your AA reasonable. I can still play games on my rig at near max or even max settings @1680x1050 (my monitors res)
    My CPU is the greatest bottleneck @3ghz, and it's still doing nicely. The only game that would seriously tax my pc is Battlefield 3 multiplayer, which I don't play :p

It's really odd, my pc is now 4 years old and the 5850 2 years. Still playing most games @max detail. This never happened before.

19. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I'll reinstall windows again this weekend. I had a similar jeez when I changed from 17" to 24" monitor, native resolution changed too. Do not ask me why but after windows reinstall solved the problem, install/reinstall/clean-up.....of alot of drivers did not helped. If will be the case this time too I'll post here my findings:3eyes:.

btw. what are the clocks in idle? I got mine @400/1200 and sometimes 400/900. Don't know why the memory freq. is so high.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  20. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I have to admit that moving from running a pair of 5850's at 1920x1200 was an eye opener for me when I jumped to a single 7970 @ 2560x1440.

For instance, I was playing Hard Reset last night with everything turned up to Ultra. Full AA etc and these 7970's just eat these titles.

5850's are fine at standard resolutions (1920x1080) but If you want the Ultra settings with full AA etc they are beginning to show their age.

Hard Reset, blew me away at Ultra last night. My old 5850's would have struggled I think.