How long can you use a power supply?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sir Galahad, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I've recently treated myself to a new power supply, and finally retired my old Corsair HX750W.
    Yes, the old 'W' version!

[​IMG]

As this one has been so trouble free, I have bought its modern equivalent, the HX750i

When I looked at the old one, everything seems absolutely fine, no bulging caps or funny smells.
    Considering its had about 12 years of constant hard use, I was very impressed.

I tested the power usage using a socket meter comparing the new to the old.
    With my PC at idle, I was consuming about 118 watts with the old HX750W.
    With the new HX750i, I am consuming about 113.5 watts.
    So not a massive difference considering the new PSU is Platinum rated and the old is Silver.

This power supply has always had a fairly hard life.
    On the CPU side, it started life powering a heavily overclocked Q9650 on a X48 platform, then a heavily overclocked X5675 on the X58 platform and now a overclocked but under-volted E5-1650V2 on the X79 platform.
    On the GPU side it has powered a GTX280, later a GTX480, GTX770 and now a GTX980ti.
    So all fairly high power stuff.

The only reason I changed it out was that it was the oldest part of my system and I wanted some peace of mind.
    It does beg the question however, how long is it safe to use an old power supply like this and is anyone else still using one this old?

I'd love to run some tests on my old PSU and see how the voltage regulation had held up and see if it can still deliver its rated 750 watts.

Keitosha, toyo and anticupidon like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I thought my hx620 was failing until i pulled the atx24 connector and replugged it, bringing mainboard voltages up from 11.7 to 12.1, that system was still unstable for other reasons but was an interesting thing to experience.

i still wouldn't use a psu that old with a modern system though.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Had the same PSU. As yours, ran flawlessly, it was the most reliable PSU I had until that point.
    It works even now in one of my previous computers which I sold to one of my friends.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I think the modern hx750i is but the same age than my 7yo superflower
    i think rmx is corsair's standout line atm,it's both very good and affordable.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Still using my superflower single rail 750W for like 6-7 years too. One of the best i used.

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    rmx750 2021 is the recommended one atm
    but seeing how low the 2018 version dropped and remembering how good and quiet it was imo the rmx 2018 would be my choice
    you can almost buy two for the hx750i

7. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc

Yeah, the HX750i isn't great value. I got it for cheep though; new old stock form where a friend of mine works.
    Another bonus is it's blue and it fits in with my current ascetic.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    it's prolly a rock solid psu
    just not the latest,but who cares tbh if it's good build quality and high efficiency.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    I don't even know if PSUs can go bad. My current one is an HX650 from 2013.

Truder likes this.
  10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021

11. PPC

PPC Master Guru

GPU:
    Using SS Strider plus for 11 years now, the fan is starting to go out tho cuz its on 24/7 lol.

12. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Just from my perspective it seems like power supplies went through a period of rapid advancement from around 2005 until 2015 and since then haven't really changed very much.

Capacitors can go bad over time.

13. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    my friend has had caps burst on cheap psu's.

so start buying cheap ones and you will see them die more often o_O

Passus and Truder like this.
  14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    I had a Corsair PSU that didn´t go bad but developed a very nasty coil whine.

Fortunatly it was still on warranty so i returned the PSU and they replaced it with a much better one and modular one on top of it!

Keitosha likes this.
  15. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    I'm using a 9 year old Corsair ax1200i - it has a 10 year warranty, so 1 year left. When the warranty runs out, i'm gonna replace it. Not gonna take any chances in regards to PSU.

Passus likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    got a 7yo one,from superflower.wasn't really gonna replace it,though the warranty ran out 2 years ago.
    im seeing the 2018 rmx models drop price tho,rm750x selling at 97eur would be a good buy.Thinking about it.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Had the Corsair HX650W... you can pretty much use them until they don't work anymore xD

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    They can, the primary stage cap is still one big electrolytic type that can boil out with heat/age, the high current mosfets degrade with time like all silicon.

my Seasonic X-850KM3 spontaneously failed with almost 4 years uptime not too long ago (apparently not unheard of)

19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    I'm not comfortable using one beyond 8-10 years. It's usually getting a bit obsolete by then anyways. Requiring adapters, a bit underpowered, lacking newer features (modular, fan settings, etc). By that point, it can go into one of the spare rigs I often just give away. I do a complete, new PC build about every 3-5 years so an old PSU is never really an issue.

I also try not to buy junk PSUs (which seem to have higher/catastrophic failure rates). We used to have in-depth JonnyGuru PSU reviews, but, no more. Now, I've gotten lazy, I buy SeaSonic (or the many rebranded SeaSonics). It's not the only brand I trust, but again, just getting too lazy to research.

Keitosha likes this.
  20. Freeman

Freeman Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 Aorus
    Start with post above yours. :rolleyes: