How long can I expect my 770 to last?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by eclipsezero, Jan 5, 2014.

1. eclipsezero

eclipsezero Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS DirectCUII GTX7702GB
    I just finished building my first system, and I have a ASUS Direct CUII 770 2GB installed.
    I am planning to only game at 1080p, and am ok with turning down settings as the years go by(I never use AA or DoF for example), however, I just read that certain games can already push past the 2GB VRAM(Crysis 3), even on 1080p.

This worries me, because I was hoping to have this card last me at least 4 years, and I can't get a new card due to my location(bought this while in the US).
    Wasn't able to get a 3GB 280X at the time, so I ended up getting this :( Will the VRAM become an issue in a couple of years?

2. ancientGHz

ancientGHz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    I don't think 2GB cards will last very long... Maybe a year.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    It might be but don't caught on that, the 770 is better than 7970GE/280X u did a good choice. 2GB might limit u in the future, but it won't make the card better at any way.

If so just lower abit the texture quality, i know that BF4 FHD maxed out takes 2GB, when i had the 680 i played at UHD max setting and it took around 2.5GB. no hitches of any sort :D

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    2GB will be enough @ 1080p - *hint: texture stream-ing

I would say ~ 2years for sure. Some games will put gpu usage to the max ie Crysis3 (40-50fps almost max settings), but that's how it is..

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    What new GPU u got TJ btw?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Temporary 580GTX stock for now, should be here tomorrow. Thanks to one fellow guru3d member :)

Well I had "enough power" with my Oc'ed 570, but now it said fuu and damaged vram.. Ok except BF4 (but still very playable avg 55-70fps cap).. Nvm crysis3, if maxed shaders, no aa - avg 35fps :grin:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  7. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Well if you dont mind turning down settings in demanding future titles especially AA then you should be good for quite some time @ 1080 i'd say.

8. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    You'll be fine. Not enough bandwidth and the usual cpu/gpu bottleneck matter are generally just panic from the unwary and clueless.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    My previous 560 Ti 1GB which I only recently replaced is actually *still* coping very well in 1080p. Hell, even the way older Radeon HD4870 512MB I had in the past is still useful, at least in 720p. I don't believe the "in one year it's over" doomsayers. They were never right back then, there's no reason they're right today :p

According to my past experiences with graphics cards (which were, in chronological order, 3DFX Voodoo 2, Radeon 7500, Radeon 9800 Pro, Radeon X1950 XT, Radeon HD4870, GTX 560 Ti, and now GTX 780), I'd say the GTX 770 will last you about four years (and at least three if I'm to be conservative.)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  10. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    how flexible are you with your game settings ?
    my 8800GT is as glorious and even cooler than 5 years ago thanks to the watercooling. I think that the watercooling even saved it from frying itself, as the fan was starting to make noise and it was getting quite hot.

If you're willing to compromise and you don't think you'll go past 1920*1080 for 5 years, I don't see why you would need to change that card, unless it dies.

11. Baronofdecency

Baronofdecency Member

GPU:
    This
    100% agree.He just need to be flexible with the settings.I bought my card in 2009 and till now iv played all of my favorite games(except crysis 3 wich supports only DX 11.To hell with crytec).Started with 1280x1024 and high/maximum settings and now im palying Assassins Creed with these settings.But who cares?] I still can enjoy story and the gameplay of course with the reduced quality.But still its great as hell!So either spare some money for getting a new card every 2 years or try to be flexible with the settings so u gonna be ok. :)
    Hint:Im not clam or anything but right now my income is very low.

12. eclipsezero

eclipsezero Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS DirectCUII GTX7702GB
    Thanks people, my fear is put to rest now :3

As for flexibility, I am ok even with absolute minimum settings in games like Jedi Academy so I think I will be fine. In fact, Jedi Academy was the last game I could properly play before I got a proper-ish laptop in 2011, so thankfully I don't have huge demands when it comes to graphics at all, lol.

13. Laci

Laci Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti AUROS
    Lucky you! :)

I think you made a great choice with that card. I hope you'll enjoy it! :)

14. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    2GB should be fine for a while... you might see a few games that push close to 2Gb especially once next-gen ports start hitting the PC.

You could likely turn down the texture detail settings to save some memory usage though.

The XB1 and PS4 don't have the entire 8GB to actually use the OS reserves quite a bit of it. Both systems only have 5GB available for developers to use. I'd guess most will either do 50/50 split or maybe 3GB system / 2GB video. So I'd think you'd be fine for the most part for 1080p.

You might see a handful of games that really push things and actually use 3 - 3.5Gb for texture memory.

15. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    You'll probably get at least 3 years out of it with high settings.