How high do you need to OC before there's no GPU bottleneck? Post your results!

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by LinkDrive, Jul 23, 2009.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    For the sake of keeping the post tidy, I'll post some generic graphs and provide a link to a .zip of each benchmark result.

Test Setup

Stock
    Q9450 @ 2.66GHz ( 333x8 )1.25v
    Two HD4870 512Mb 825/1100 Catalyst 9.6
    4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 1800MHz 8-8-8-21 @ 1333MHz 5-5-5-14
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Overclocked
    Q9450 @ 3.7GHz ( 463x8 ) 1.2875v
    Two HD4870 512Mb 825/1100 Catalyst 9.6
    4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 1800MHz 8-8-8-21 @ 1543MHz 6-6-6-16
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

The results

FarCry2 - All settings maxed at 1920x1080. I was unable to do a test with 8xAA due to my cards' 512Mb buffer.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there's little difference between 2.66GHz and 3.7GHz with CrossFire disabled, which leads to imply that FarCry 2 isn't overly CPU bound.

Left4Dead - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, film grain off.
    [​IMG]
    Another example of a GPU bound game. The only test that yielded any significant gain with overclocking was with CrossFire enabled.

Resident Evil 5 - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, HDR at 32-bit
    [​IMG]
    Much like Left4Dead, the only result yielding a significant gain while overclocked was with CrossFire enabled.

F.E.A.R. - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, soft shadows enabled
    GTA4 - All settings on high at 1920x1080, View Distance 32, Detail Distance 70, Vehicle Density 51, Shadow Density 10
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, F.E.A.R. received little gain between both CrossFire and the overclocked speeds.
    GTA4 on the other hand, is known to be highly CPU bound, hence the reason for such a small difference between CrossFire being disabled and enabled.

Track Mania Nations United - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, motion blur enabled.
    [​IMG]
    Another CPU bound game, but with the age of the graphic engine, it's not too surprising. The performance difference between 4xAA and 8xAA is so little, it's almost laughable.

The .zip containing each screen cap
    http://g.imagehost.org/download/0661/Benchmarks
    The HTML files for FC2
    http://g.imagehost.org/download/0075/Results

:eek:c:

2. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    FC2 3Ghz

[​IMG]

FC2 4Ghz

[​IMG]

Fear 1920X1080 in game options maxed out with forced 16XAA

3GHZ

[​IMG]

4GHZ

[​IMG]

RE5 Benchmark 1920X1080 DX10 Maxed out ingame settings with 4XAA 16XAF

3GHZ

[​IMG]

4GHZ

[​IMG]

More to come later.

3. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Like I said in the other thread, I will be posting results showing the effects of overclocking using two different video cards and two different resolutions. The clocks speeds being tested for my i7 will be 2.66GHz(stock), 3.8GHz, 4.0GHz and maybe even 4.2GHz. I might consider also adding results with stock GPU vs overclocked GPU.

Hopefully this will be all be done by tomorrow and I'll post my results up as soon as possible.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    3.6 there still a bottleneck cause most games don't use quads if i can use a fast (4.2+) dualcore on the other hand.

5. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Lost Planet DX10 1920X1080 4XAA 16XAF all in game options maxed out.

3ghz.

[​IMG]

4ghz.

[​IMG]

6. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Yes but there are some that get a healthy boost from Quad core and with 45nm Quads clocking as high as they do there is little need to own a dual core cpu anymore.

DiRT
    Mass Effect
    Bioshock
    UE3
    Lostplanet
    Ghostbusters
    RE5
    FlightsimX
    Grid
    FC2
    Assasins Creed
    GTA4

And there are others not listed here, plus the list is growing.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yes the list is growing :D

8. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Looks like I need to delay my testing til further notice gentlemen. I ran into some problems with the 285 and I'm currently working on fixing them.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    That's not good >.<
    I hope you get the issue resolved soon!

10. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Thanks Lavans. I don't know what went wrong with it.

I usually keep the card at stock OCX clocks for gaming and all the other stuff I do and I only clock it to the speeds listed while doing benchmarks. So I started my benchmark session and had gotten through RE5, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, FEAR and SF4. I decided I'd also throw in Devil May Cry 4 as I enjoyed that game and it has a nice benchmark. So about halfway through the benchmark my temperatures just kept climbing and climbing. This is the first time I had ever seen my card reach 80 degrees Celsius. Running all the other benchmarks prior to the DMC4 one my card had never really gone past 65 degrees Celsius. Now the temperature wouldn't have bothered me much but as soon as it started climbing higher than that my computer had just turned off. So I restarted my computer and wasn't thinking much of it but now the temperatures on the card are just much higher than they were before. The fan is still working as I can hear it so I'm just waiting on my local store to get more AS5 in stock so I can change the paste on the card.

Once all that's done I'll be finishing up the benchmarks hopefully. I haven't tested anything since then so I hope nothing was damaged on my card. All I know is even if I play simple games the card burns up to 80 degrees and higher.

11. Hardware Killer

Hardware Killer Member Guru

GPU:
    7970 Lightning Quadfire
    I'd try and blow the card out with compressed air and recheck temps before dismantling

12. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    im still cpu limited at 4.3ghz :/ lol but less so at 4.5ghz so i think about 4.6 -.7 will be where im not limited

13. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    Funny thing is I had done all that just before doing all my testing. :)

Anyways, I picked myself up some Arctic Cooling MX-2 today. As soon as I got home I opened the case up and changed the paste on the GPU. However while taking off the heatsink and looking at the paste that was already there I noticed that the central area of the chip and heatsink looked like there was no paste on it. Perhaps the paste had already gone over it's use period and burned up? That's just speculation though.

Works like a charm now though. Temperatures are actually much lower than what they used to be with the stock paste. I'm going to be checking to see if my overclock is still stable or if anything got fubared in the process. I'll report back soon.

Edit:

It seems that the core speed overclock I had on the card has become unstable. Both the shader and memory speeds are still fine where they are but the core clock can no longer be set to 756 without causing lockups. I guess I'll set it to around 740 and redo all the tests I had done.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    That's not too surprising since you're running a dual-core CPU with two relatively powerful GPUs. ^_^;

15. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    ^^ yeh i know but still i get higer oc and fps than the same priced quad core cpu so its all win as i only game and web brows on my pc

16. sgtheadhole

sgtheadhole Active Member

GPU:
    XFX ATi Radeon 5770
    uberfail thread name and subject, it should be named CPU bottleneck not GPU, seriously UBER FAIL NAME AND SUBJECT IS FAILING LIKE UBER FAIL

17. barwell1992

barwell1992 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    ^^^ wtf shut up .... if you dont have any thing usefull to say the dont say any thing at all

18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Just wanted to thank Lavans for the information as well as all the others who contributed!
    Thank you!:thumbup: