How good is SLI?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 007.SirBond, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    do you consider xfire a money making scheme as well?

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What do you think? Do you really think he thinks SLI is a money making scheme and crossfire isn't? How big of a fanboy would he have to be to think that? Do you really think people are that stupid?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    dunno but I was not asking you though, let the man speak for himself

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't think he'll love one and call the other a money making scheme. That would be foolish, right?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    He knows better than to call me a fanboy....lol He's seen me flip-flop between AMD and NVidia a couple times. Since I joined this forum I've had a pair of 8600GT's in SLI, 9600GT, HD4850, GTS250, GTX275, GTX460, GTX560Ti, HD7870, GTX660 and HD7950. If I could have found another GTX660 at a reasonable price, I'd be running SLI right now. I still have my GTX660 sitting on the shelf for later...just in case.

It could be, if AMD could push out xfire profiles faster. It's all about execution...which AMD has struggled with. Being a "money making scheme" isn't necessarily a bad thing.....unless your execution sucks.

I wasn't insulting SLI. Fact of the matter is, if it didn't make money for NVidia, they wouldn't do it. Regardless of the performance benefits.

Buying cards at the right time, SLI represents a very strong value for consumers. Unless you just simply have to have the "latest and greatest", in most cases you're better off with 2 of last gen's cards than 1 of the current. Plus, if you buy at the right time, you pay less for better overall performance. NVidia, however, is hoping people jump on SLI with new cards at the launch of each generation.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  6. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    ^ I would venture to say that the vast majority of PC gamers, cannot afford to run out and buy 2x of the highest end, current gen cards available. That being, said, most SLI and X-fire users are using two low to mid-range cards in tandem to achieve better performance. Performance that can be achieved with one powerhouse card; while using far less power and heat.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Some of us can't even afford to buy 1 of the current-gen flagship models.....so we buy mid-range and SLI/Xfire when prices drop.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sykozis didnt you have 2 8600gt in sli too?
    I wasnt calling you a fanboy and I got a detailed response. A true fanboy would of ranted based on my question

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Yep, they were included in that list.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Missed it on my phone.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I, like most people on here, have never had any real issues with sli that couldnt be solved by a more wiser guru or just a bit of playing around myself.

But tbh, my next gpu upgrade most likely wont be a multi gpu setup, why?
    Because each year we get maybe one or two games that are genuinely resource hungry and not because of lazy programming or other shoddy tacked on features and the rest of the games that come out are normally just poor ports or half arsed pc first titles that require numorous patches and messing about with sli bit just to see the same level of playability you'd get on the consoles.

Sure, you dont have to settle for a min of 60fps and max settings, though as time goes by and ive had my dream pc up and running for sometime now, after all the years in college(2000-2004) reading the AUS PC PowerPlay mag (when it was still good) and looking at games that had just come out (Quake 3, FEAR, Doom 3, FarCry 1, Prey, Quake 4, Swat 4, etc) and wishing i had a pc that great, (I had a IBM 667mhz celeron with 64mb of ram - Quake 3@ 640x480 ftw) ive come to the conclusion that raw power is nice and all (when looking at numbers on a chart) but then you real world performance and see a top end rig struggeling with a console port, i cant help but think that its all on big joke....

And im ok with that, because i have a twisted sense of humour, much like AMD/Nvidia with there rebranding tactics and mediocre releases of late.

But still, theres the othere end of it to, Max Payne 3, imo was one of last years better games (cut scenes aside) and Metro LL alonside it, both being a prime example of what can happen, visually, graphically, feature and gameplay wise when a developer puts some effort into a game.

so, yes, sli works great, but thnk about what it is you want to be playing, before you spend $1000+ on gpus, just to play a $40-$80 video game toy thing

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    My 480 was my spare, also I was able to re coup the vast majority of what I spent on the cards and will buy the fastest next single GPU so that I get more from the game I play currently, that cant use SLI.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    HAHA yeah, reminds me of this one time (at band camp), a guy signed up here and was asking about game related issues he had.

I can't tell you the nature if his problem or his username or pretty much anything else...all I remember is his GPU setup....

He was using 7970Ghz Ed......in QUADFIRE :D

My reaction was pretty much this; lol

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    Was that an American pie reference?
    And we all got onto his ass about quad fire is terrible and he wouldn't hear it. lol

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Four times the cards four times the fun/headache.

His E-peen was so big no game wanted to play with it. ROFL