How far will push ups get me? (building chest)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by dirthurts, Nov 7, 2010.

1. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    I've started doing push ups trying to sculpt my chest a little bit. How far can I go with push ups? I'm having trouble doing more than 14-16 in a set right now...

2. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Push ups are an excellent way to build upper body mass. It has been the driving force of the US Military for ages. There are several different arm positions that build different areas.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    So long as you are doing them with your arms out at 90 degrees to your body, you will be doing about as good as you can if sticking to push ups. Don't expect much bicep work though unless you keep your elbows against your body.

I would really suggest some free weights and a bench. There are some excellent chest building moves.

4. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    You don't use biceps at all during push ups. Did you mean triceps?

To the OP, push ups are ok to start on and I recommend being able to push out 30 a set before you start any heavy benching. After a while though push ups won't do much for you. You'll be able to push out 50 and it won't build further bulk, if that is what you want. You sessions will take longer and longer and give you less and less. It is demotivating. Benching is a natural progression from push ups. You can aim to do 20 reps per set and just increase the weight slightly every time you get more than 20. Takes less time and actually builds muscle faster as you are constantly pushing your limit. If you want less functional strength and just want your nipples to scout ahead of you up the weight and drop the reps to around 8. :p

5. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Thanks for the tips guys.
    I do standard push ups, and then elevated (with my feet on my bed).
    I also have a curl bar for curls. My curls are progressing much faster than my push ups for some reason.
    I'm not looking to really get big. I don't think my genetics will allow me to get very big. So I'm hoping to just shape and tone. : )
    Thanks again.

6. chris

chris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX460
    for faster gains try out some wightlifting,benchpress,heavy waits low reps for maximum gains

7. Marduk-

Marduk- Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT @ 680/1800
    Yeah for better gains try picking up some freeweights and a bench.

8. pooley

pooley Member Guru

GPU:
    xfx r9 fury
    +1 this is the only way to go imo.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    All i do for my chest is Bench press with the Barbell,Incline,flat and decline.
    I also do some flyes Incline,flat and decline after i have finished using the barbell.

Aim for ten reps on all exercises first to strengthen up your joints and tendons and to increase stamina and more importantly to develop good form or you risk and injury,you would be suprised how many bad habits you will have when you start, like twisting your body and incorrect form etc.

Only then would i go heavy with 6 reps and heavy weight once you have mastered the basic lift correctly.

Here is me and my chest,only picture i have.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  10. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I'll look into that.
    How much do you bench?

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    100kg=10 good reps
    105kg-6 reps
    110-3 or 4 reps
    for me 100kg is great any more is a bonus,its winter know so i dont train as hard as i do in spring/summer,i just maintain what ive got down the gym through the winter months...get in, get done, and get out.

At the moment i probably couldnt do 100kg=10 reps
    Last week i tried i did 6 reps at 100Kg

12. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Looks like I have some work to do. I can push about 170lbs (about 70 kilograms)on a good day. About 8 reps.
    I'm going to keep it up. I figure if I can make it to your weight I'll be doing good..
    Any special eating habits?

13. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Eat .75-1gm of protein per lb. of lean body weight for fast gains. Also plenty of fats and moderate amount of carbs before and after workouts. Thats about it.

14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Bench press. For push ups, do it with your fists rather than hands.

15. vipk

vipk Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4890 1 Gb
    To the OP:

You can always use weights with pushups! You will be surprised how much more difficult they become if you add only a few kilograms on your back. I use an old backpack and some iron - it's as simple and cheap as you can go but trust me... it is very efficient.

Not saying anything against the bench though;)

PS: Don't add any weight untill you can do atleast 30 pushup with ease.

16. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

Nice advice.
    I did 20 push ups today pretty easily. Going up!
    So when I hit 30 I think I'll try the backpack thing. Sounds interesting.
    I have access to a way to do benchpress but it's not free weights. Cables and weights. They just don't feel like they work as well.

17. Phragmeister

Phragmeister Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB
    Most amount of push-ups done?

I've managed 85+, can't ever reach 90, no matter how energetic I feel or what technique I use, maybe it's mind over matter, not sure.

Apparently, and I quote - "The record for the most non stop push-ups was set in October 1980 by Minoru Yoshida of Japan, Minoru Yoshida managed to do 10,507 push-ups before finally stopping."

Damnn. :eek:

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    ^^ wow. i just do 10 at a time till i get to 100.

but how far will push ups take you?
    not far. infact you wont move and inch further from where you started. unless u start walking with your hands

19. Ji1986

Ji1986 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX670 OC SLI
    Its really simple with building muscle mass,

Heavy weights with low reps will give yuo bulk.
    Light weights with high reps will strengthen and tone.

which is why only doing pushups wont get you bulk. however it will help with defenition.

When I use to train at the gym. I only ever did weights heavy enough to allow me to do 8-10 reps over 3 sets. I think i got to about 80kg and pushing 10 reps. I prefer the strength training, which is why i quit the gym and started martial arts.

20. PR-0927

PR-0927 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Almost correct - the above part isn't - toning/defining doesn't give you almost any strength. It has to do with muscle hypertrophy.

I suspect that might be a mis-type, as the rest of your post agrees with me in that bulking is for strength/mass.

- PR-0927