How far into the future will 8xAGP cards still be made?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Khardynyl[FBI], Dec 19, 2005.

1. Khardynyl[FBI]

Khardynyl[FBI] Member

GPU:
    GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb
    Will 8xAGP be supported for a few years yet or is it ont he way out fast? If I bought a motherboard (Athlong 64 939 socket) now with 8xAGP, would I be making a massive mistake, a medium mistake or no real mistake at all? It's easy to say, 'why not just get a PCI-E motherboard and be done with it?' Well, because I don't plan on buying a PCI-E Gfx card at the same time I buy the new board. I would like to carry on using my current (admittedly old and tired GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb) card with the new set up until I can afford to buy a new card.

The options are:

Buy the 8xAGP motherboard, use current GeForce 4ti etc, buy a GeForce 6600GT AGP later on. -OR-

Stop being an impatient greedy git and wait until I can afford to buy the 6600GT PCI-E and a PCI-E motherboard all at the same time. -OR- (which I just thought of)

Find a motherboard with both a 8xAGP and a PCI-E port. If they exist.

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    Well dual options exist ASROCK comes to mind,but replacing the Mobo is relatively inexpensive compared to say CPU or GFX card so your okay anyway you decide, but high end AGP cards are becoming scarce so something else to keep in mind

3. SupaSiLa

SupaSiLa Banned

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 256mb @ 430/1150 (Zm
    i also would recommend the Asrock dual mobo, i soon will be getting this

4. Khardynyl[FBI]

Khardynyl[FBI] Member

GPU:
    GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb
    Good point. I could save myself trouble and get the 8x and simply get the pci-e later.

5. Khardynyl[FBI]

Khardynyl[FBI] Member

GPU:
    GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb
    If cost was no issue, would there be some techincal reason for not getting a dual board?

6. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    I am using the asrock dual sata. As long as you use the ULI (Integrated 210) and not the included asrock drivers this board is fantastic. It also supports Sata2 and has an AM2 upgrade bus (a bit naff really, cpu on riser board!?!?). Only real limitation of this chipset is lack of gigabit lan.

If you are interested in oc'ing this board does not have alot of Vcore voltage headroom, but can be easily volt-modded to fix this (see ocworkbench forums for the official asrock discussions). I haven't modded mine yet which is the reason my Opty 170 is only at 2.4. I'll probably do this when I upgrade gpu sometime in the new year. Anyway in conclusion this board roXXors and is a fantastic upgrade path.

7. Khardynyl[FBI]

Khardynyl[FBI] Member

GPU:
    GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb
    I just found this article about a dual PCI-E/8x AGP: http://www.dreamwarecomputers.com/reviews/biostar_nf4ul-a9/index3.htm

On that page it says there is a performance loss using the AGP slot in the region of 30-50%(!!). They call it **P and it runs through the PCI bus. Something to do with the chipset on a motherboard being either PCI-E or AGP, but not both. I have not read the full article and I have no idea if that problem is specific to that particular board or how all dual boards work. I would be careful about buying a dual board.

8. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    The asrock has native AGP and PCI-E, thus has no performance penalty whatsoever. It is currently the only board of its kind. Please research it and remember it is not a pseudo AGP board (hacked pci-slot basically).

Edit: I wouldn't be silly enough to bandwidth limit a 6800GT agp now would I.........

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  9. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    That board uses a different chipet than the Asrock. NForce4 against ULi. I think for AGP solutions, the ULi is better.

10. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
    i personally think agp will be outdated by 2007. i say 2007 cuz theyre supposed to be making new agp cards for 2006. my name speaks for itself. I'd say wait for the PCI-E

11. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

only coz your a chav who gets onboard stupid hypes....

12. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    I went to over 10 different retailers until I found my current 6600 GT, it was nearly impossible. They all had the PCI-E or a FX 5200 AGP at most. I found the last one online on some site over here. There are more, of course, but not for too long I guess. If you like gaming with all the eye candy, wait for the PCI-E. Getting a 6600 GT now is not a waste of money, but if you have to wait a few months it may be, as games get more demanding by the minute. Maybe buying a 6600 GT in 6 months would be like buying a 5500 now, just my opinion, who knows.....

13. Khardynyl[FBI]

Khardynyl[FBI] Member

GPU:
    GeForce 4 ti4200 64Mb
    I think I should just forget upgrading at all for 6 months, or more. It's all too apparent the only solution is to get a new mobo, cpu, and gfx card at the same time. I don't NEED to upgrade, this PC works fine for practically everything. I guess I will just have to put up with running Quake 3 at 488298973fps instead of 356345763734634fps.

14. MrJones

MrJones Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS
    Well said, it's pointless to upgrade every 4-6 months if they'll come up with new sockets anyway in another 4-6 months. When you can afford a PCI-E mobo+cpu+gpu go for it.

15. wildkat

wildkat Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 480
    When I upgraded last year i was decided between agp or pci-e. I went the agp route thinking it had another year or 2 left. I wish I would have went pci-e it would have saved me some money for my next upgrade. I can't find any highend current gen graphics card for agp(ati 1800 or 7800gtx or gt).