how does ti-4600 compares to 6200,6600?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by okipouros, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Excellent O/C - assuming there's an AGP bridging chip, is it cooled at all? That ought to come into your upgraded cooling solution as well, don't want a melt down!

2. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

:D idiot

First of all, I have a Geforce 4. Second I know what I'm talking about, and finally the only persons ego that needs flushed is yours.

The only difference between Direct X 8.0 and 8.1 is the instruction length a programmer can use to write a shader program. Direct X 8 cards like the Geforce Ti 4 support pixel shader 1.0 - 1.3 . These supported shader programs to be up to 12 instructions in length. However Direct X 8.1 supports 22 instructions per shader program, and this requires pixel shader 1.4 support to be built onto the card (like the Radeon 8500 and above).

:rolleyes:

*removed half life 2 comment as others seem to get 8.1 path working on GF 4's*

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2005
  3. EnemyOmen

EnemyOmen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX AMD HD6870
    When i ran my 4200 on Hl2 it ran in Dx8.1 :-/

4. Nigh

Nigh Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7900GT 256Mb
    I forced mine to run DX 8.1 path and it ran with no error messages and no problems at all.

5. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Bloody hell, didn't work AT ALL on my Ti4800SE. That said, it wasn't a le... anyway officially to abide by the DX 8.1 spec Pixel Shader 1.4 has the be supported which at least the GF4 hardware doesn't support.

6. Nigh

Nigh Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7900GT 256Mb
    Well, on my box in which I got my GF4 Ti it writes: "Full DirectX 8.x (not DX 8.0) support"...I'm looking at it now, just to be sure.

7. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    8.x can be 8.0 too. :D

8. xK Ares

xK Ares Guest

Jagman my cards Pci express x16 :)

9. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    The TI series are still excellent cards to have. Will wipe the floor with the 5200-5500 series for half the cost. Will play newer games but you have to sacrifice the eye candy. I'm putting a TI4200 in a PC i'm building for a guy and hes going to be blown away considering he's using a GF2 MX400. However I went from a TI4400 to a FX5900u and I was pretty damn blown away. Why wouldn't the TI be a directx 8.1 card? It was their last series prior to the directx 9 FX series. Would that mean that Nvidia never made a directx 8.1 card?

10. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    maybe...
    it looks like nvidia never made a dx8.1 compliant card, then the fx came.... dx9, the gf4ti was dx8.0 only... so YES.

but if it doesnt support dx 8.1, why do games run the dx 8.1 path with no problems?? maybe it just uses dx 8 while showing it´s using dx8.1

11. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Because everything that can be done with DX 8.1 can be done with DX 8.0, it just allows more efficiency on cards that support PS 1.4 and higher performance.

12. Must Kill Ati

Must Kill Ati Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800le
    Just "upgraded" from a geforce ti4600 to a 6600.

In games, with drivers set to max performance, I didn't notice much differences (other than the 6600 was a little faster). The real, and very noticeable difference was when I set it to high quality. I don't know how to explain this, but the same games run better on the 6600 with the high quality, than they did on the 4600 (or the 6600) in max performance!

For the reasonably small amount I paid ($120us), it was well worth the money.

13. Snowski

Snowski Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 8800GT 660/1650/1900
    I still got my GF 3 Ti/500

It was clocked @ 250/570 (stock = 240/500)

Amazing card but

Try installing Joint Operations, crank it all up, with 2xQ AA and Anisotropic on (not high aniso)

It was almost a slide show with my GF 3 but with my 6600 GT it runs smooth

Joint Ops is a very good game to test gaming performance

My friend has a Ti 4600 and barely beats my old GF 3 Ti/500 in recent games

Laters

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    the GF4TI does only support DX8, the radeon 8500 supports 8.1 , just cuz nvidia drivers says it support dx8.1 do not mean the card does.

that like saying the mx support dx8 cuz the driver says so when it doesnt.

THe GF4TI only support dx8, if it did support dx8.1 then it would had have pixel shader 1.4 which req 8.1

15. madmanjock

madmanjock Guest

Thank you, someone else that understands why a Geforce 4 isn't 8.1

16. hitman475

hitman475 Guest

the 6600 GT is nvidia's best card, no matter what other people say.
    the only bottleneck is 128 bit ram
    the card is worth way more than the $259 CAN I have paid for it
    it was actually made with 256bit GDDR3, but using only half the physical connections, the new core is the smallest and fastest, consuming little power at upwards of 600MHz clocks. The ram it shipped with was rated 1.2 gigaherts, depending on the "ms" of the individual modules
    It has more hardware support for DVD encoding, and hi definition playback,
    freeing up the cpu for other "stuff"
    the dual LCD outputs come with converters, so you can have any virtually possible combo of dual displays

now i know it has half the pipes ands vertex processors that the 6800s, but for the gamer satified with high resolution and detailed textures without the namby-pamby 16x AA and AF, this is the king of the hill
    games were meant to play on the regular filtering settings, anything higher is idiotic suicide, only for the masses with the money and brains to waste out on it.

17. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    The 6600GT is a great card. I almost bought one. However clock speeds don't mean crap if you don't have enough pipelines to send it through. Thats why a stock 6800GT will romp on an overclocked 6600GT. Its a great card but not Nvidias best by far.

18. oc-nighthawk

oc-nighthawk Active Member

GPU:
    GF6800GT/SoftQuadro FX 4000
    Hitman,

Pipes are like a processors execution logic. By its very nature the pipes are how much the card can do at once. Think of a pipe as a pair of hands. If one gpu has x amount and another has 2x even if the second was only 1.5 the clock speed it would still kick the crap out of the other.

19. hitman475

hitman475 Guest

rgr, i really knew that
    a friend has one
    nonetheless the top of the geforce 6 series is a froce to be reconed with
    ATi cant even have hardware SM3 and 32 bit
    they have some performance inducing 24bit drugs

20. Hitec004

Hitec004 Banned

GPU:
    **XFX nVidia GF 7800GT 256 GDDR3**
    it is impossibe that any older generation is like the 6 series of nVidia Graphics Cards...Why..I tried ATi tell 9800Pro(not mine its for a friend)& Its is very impossible to compare anything to this Generation the antialasing is diffrent than ATi once and much better on FARCry at 1024*768 the picture is fantastic
    even when i used the 9800pro with 1280+1024 4x/8x it wasn't the same nvidia
    is a way better...