1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does my 6600k compared to newer cpus?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by sneipen, Jun 12, 2018.

1. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Bought a 6600k when it was the cpu to get if you didnt want 6700. I oced it to 4.5ghz atm. Im wondering how my oced cpu is compared to 7-8series and amd cpu. Is it still holding up against these when running oc. Or will new titles demmand better cpu? Tnx for your time. :)

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You won't need a new CPU for quite some time I'd say.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    I you dont have any performance issues related to the CPU then it holds up very well.
    Same can be said for any CPU.

4. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    Core for core it's perfectly fine. There might be some games that would take advantage of more threads but if you don't play those games or don't see your threads being maxed out, you're fine.

5. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    When I play Unreal Tournament Alpha my CPU usage is avg 7 percent LOL. So ya hes fine if hes a gamer.

6. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    When I play Unreal Tournament Alpha my CPU usage is avg 7 percent LOL. So ya hes fine if hes a gamer. My GPU usage doesn't even go to 100 percent and I get constant and never dipping 60fps no matter what or where or how many players on server and what not.

7. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    There is an edit button Daw40 lol

8. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Ait, tnx for the replies. There is a few games that is hard on my cpu now days, so i was just wondering. Most games i play use 60-80% with oc. Few games like bf, escape from tarkov (beta\alpha) to name a few. Tho tarkov is still beta, so things can improve in the future. But it looks like more threads\cores will get more important in the future. About time if you ask me. Hehe.

9. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I realize this is an old thread but I just upgraded from a 6600k which I had clocked at 4.6ghz to a 9600k. Not seeing too much of a difference in performance. I am noticing that frame times are more consistant and gta 5 feels super smooth despite running at the same fps (I had it at 60fps capped with vsync). I have my 9600k at 4.9ghz now and games that played poorly on the 6600k like [insert poor cpu optimized ubisoft title here] plays flawless on this cpu also city performance improved on shadow of the tomb raider. If you're only shooting for 60fps and don't care to play anything ubisoft like assassins creed. then no real reason to rush out and upgrade but there would be a slight improvement in frametimes from my experience.

10. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    6600k here also. What's the absolute best CPU for the z170 series that I can possibly upgrade to? 6700k? Will that do me any favors in Arma 3? When I bought the 6600k it didn't seem to be a significant difference between the two for gaming, according to most reviews.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019

11. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    6600K here also.
    Watched closely the Ryzen family launch and its implications for day to day computing. As i game so little lately, nor do I plan to game in the long future, Ryzen 2 seems the CPU to get.
    Virtualization at so many cores and at a very convenient price is so appealing.

12. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    You can put up to a 7700k on a z170 motherboard if you have the latest bios. It would be a dead end upgrade.

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I would definitely recommend higher core/thread count CPU for newer games.

4c/4t is not enough this days. Most games will peg 100% CPU usage and you'll notice stuttering and fps drops.

14. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    If I don't use this computer for at least 5 years I'll feel like I've wasted money. Maybe in a couple o' years I will get a 7700k for $30 off ebay or something. But it sounds like I'll just replace the whole thing in like 2022 or 3. Some relative will get this one then.

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    In games that can use more cores/threads there is a big difference.

7600k got smashed by 7700k in AC games for instance.

[​IMG]nearest barclays bank near me

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Really? Which games are those?
    Is this for people running high Hz displays?

Edit
    My bad, I read that as 4C + 4HT.
    I agree a 4 core 4 thread stutters a lot more and gives lower framerate in many games.

17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I don't know why people keep saying this. My 6600k at 4.6ghz was keeping a solid 60fps on most games. Pretty much everything aside from assasins creed and watchdogs. I upgraded to a 9600k and have it running at 4.9ghz and the difference in games isn't really much at all. Maybe smoother frame times and the ability to run assassins creed at 60 but that's about it.

18. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Because its true....depending on the game of course. You may not notice it much @ 60hz/fps, but if you are trying to run high refresh rate with high frame rate, it absolutely makes a difference. Games like Assassins Creed and Battle Field also murder processors, higher core/thread count there matters quite a bit. Ashes of the Singularity also care. More and more games are able to use more threads.

19. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I wasn't talking about refresh rates over 60.

20. XXXTENTACION

XXXTENTACION New Member

GPU:
    1060 / 3gb
    Intel has been lazy for almost 10 years so you just chill out and your 6600k is descent and you don't need upgrades for next 2 years!

Size_Mick likes this.