How Do I Remove and Reinstall Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by garryj, Mar 2, 2010.

1. garryj

garryj Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Asus 690 GTX
    I know that this may sound the most stupid question ever asked on this forum but can someone advise me how to remove my ATI 5970 driver?

I used to have Nvidia and that was straightforward but for ATI the web page has no instructions that I could find.

I open up my control panel and I can see ATI Catalyst Insall Manager - do I remove this and then reinstall it via the AMD webpage? There is nothing else in the control panel that refers to my graphic card at all

I do not want to start mucking up my PC, as I want to do it properly.

Can any one offer a suggestion?

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Theres no need to remove the drivers, as ATi's are designed for installing straight over the top, so you can just download the new driver and run it to install straight away.

If you want to remove the previous drivers though, then you can go Windows Control Panel, Programs and Features, and then double click the ATi Catalyst Install Manager to uninstall them (by selecting to Remove All), then after the restart you can install the new drivers. :)

3. kortik

kortik Active Member

are you sure is that easy.
    cause I am also used to have Nvidia cards before?

4. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    It's exactly as easy as Rich Guy said. I've been doing that every month for a year now and I've never had problems.

5. zmanster

zmanster Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 SLI (water)
    deleted

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    Those of you who are not removing the previous driver first are doing it wrong.

From AMD/ATi themselves: 20870: Guide on how to install an ATI graphics card and / or its drivers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  7. DarthElvis

DarthElvis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx980 g1
    Someone should sticky this. This would prevent every driver release thread from degenerating into a flame-war about how to install drivers.

8. Yadda

Yadda Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 780 @ 1200/6400
    Following on, here's the article GPU-57 (referred to above) detailing AMD/Ati's actual driver removal process.

How to uninstall pre-existing graphics card drivers from a Microsoft Windows based system

It's best to refer directly to the article as additional links and screenshots are provided within it and it will be kept up to date and relevant over time, whereas my posts will not.

Here is a summary of the instructions (minus screenshots and supporting info) detailing the AMD/Ati display driver removal process for Windows 7, Vista and XP/2k.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010