How do I install my PCe x1 card

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by snapjaw, Feb 16, 2012.

1. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    I got a wireless adapter for my desktop computer thats PCIe x1. My computer was ordered barebones online so the case and motherboard are not the same make. I think the back slot on the back of my case does not line up well with my PCIe x1 connector on the motherboard.

[​IMG]

When I put the card in the bracket does not line up with the screw holes.
    If I push card bracket to fit in the holes it looks like it might bend it.
    How should I get it to fit?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Bend it.

I bend the metal backplate all the time.

3. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    Its not the metal backplate that bends, its bends where the card connects to the motherboard. Not much but still.

4. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    In my experience, some cheapish cards don't align properly with the case screw holes.

5. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    Well I connected it and was able to screw it in without it bending much. But now I cant get it to work. I turned on my computer and ran the CD that came with the adapter but the computer shut down unexpectedly at the end of the installation,

6. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    what brand/model sound card is it?

7. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    It is a D-Link Xtreme N Desktop PCI Ecpress Adapter. It came with an instalation CD that installs the drivers and an application (D-Link Wireless Connection Manager). I dont even get to the end of the installation before the computer shuts down and I am not able to open the Wireless Connection manager. Windows 7 troubleshooting restarts my adapter and eventually refers me to Windows Help and Support which is just a list of information about wireless networking.

8. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    Im running sfc /scannow right now. What is that supposed to do to the network? And do you think I would have to completly uninstall my old ethernet adapter before I can install this wireless one?

9. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    I can't get through the installation without a crash even in safe mode. Could I have damaged the card when I touched it. I unscrewed the frame to put on a smaller frame and the card kinda opened up. I put the first frame back on and installed it in my free PCIe x1 slot.

I got the first shut down before I even tried installing from the CD. I replaced my ethernet adapter with my wireless card and got the shutdown on the first login screen of Windows 7.

10. Shadowjump

Shadowjump Member

GPU:
    7970 XFire Watercooled
    Why dont you try a different PCI-E slot? Maybe something is bugging the motherboard. And no, dont worry, computer hardware generally doesnt get damaged when you touch it :p

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    My ethernet card doesn't align with the case screw holes either... I just left it in there without screwing it in.

12. Lukc

Lukc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    if you don't "touch" it too hard ;)
    also some parts could be damaged by electrostatic
    (but i didn't had any problems like this, and i was used to have my old pc in parts all the time as kid :p actually, at end, it died.. but both, cpu and gpu was damaged from OCing before, and i used to use PSU as power supply for car radio, and so on :D)

13. snapjaw

snapjaw Member

GPU:
    Windows Chipset I think
    Well,
    Although I havn't gotten through a complete installation I was able to pick up 3 bars of internet so though it isn't very fast I have internet. I called the tech support for the adapter and they said since device manager recognizes it and I get some signal, the adapter is correctly installed and I might want to pick a wireless adapter thats the same brand as my router for better connection.

Problem is my router recently broke I think. I can get to internet direct through modem but not wireless router. I didn't change any settings on my router and it does not broadcast a network at all anymore.

I ordered another router so I have to wait a few days to get my network up.
    I also bought a strong wireless USP adapter the same brand as the router.
    I can return the card if I need to.

14. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    How far are you from your router? Any reason you can't just run a cable - I ran a cable all the way downstairs after I got fed up with wireless.