How do i fully optimize a 2 cores 4 threads processor for games?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Patrick6, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Patrick6

Patrick6 New Member

GPU:
    Asus gtx 750 1gb
    Ok so I have an intel pentium g4560 which has 2 physical cores with hyperthreading making it 4 with the virtual cores. I heard that games wont always use the logical cores and sometimes they will only use the virtual cores and thats why HT is bad etc but im thinking of another way:
    Im gonna use process lasso to change the cpu affinities making all the processes besides my game to only use the virtual cores and my game to use the real cores
    Am I doing it properly and is there any better way?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Usually when that happens you will see core 0 mostly at 100% and other cores doing nothing. Need for Speed hot pursuit has that problem.
    If you would disable core 0 , the other 3 cores would take over what core 0 was doing. so 3 cores would be working instead of just 1.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    P-states, C-states, and less processes (services, drivers) on the background.

PS There is no such thing as "virtual core" in Windows. All CPUs are called "logical", and OS kernel just knows what physical core is behind each of them - full independent core or HT one.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    You dont have enough cores so any try to disable HT will result in lower performance.