How do I find out my win XP activation CD KEY in the registry?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Orpheo, May 6, 2005.

1. Orpheo

Orpheo Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB
    Hello there all,

I'm getting rid of my old computer and Im moving to another PC. so I need my CD-Key before the 30days period expires of Windows XP Home Edition. The only thing I have about windows XP and reinstalling was my
    Restore CD * the one that format and reinstall everything . So I don't have a CD-Key .. the restore CD does everything for me.

How do I find that out? I know is in the register but exatlly where?

thanks a lot!

2. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
  3. Billabong

Billabong Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 9800GTX
  4. Iceblade

Iceblade Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI FX5900(flashed FX5950U)
    didn't know it could be done

5. GeoTube

GeoTube Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600
    I think I may have found it! =D

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]
    ProductID

? =]
    Manually searching the registry is better than searching =]

6. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    The PID (aka 55274-640-xxxxxxx-xxxxx) is not the same as the product key (aka FCKGW) which is used to install XP.

WinKey Finder 1.6 also works really well....and, I believe the product key is encrypted in the registry, so you can't just view it with RegEdit.

7. GeoTube

GeoTube Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6600
    Thanks for that info Morpheous...
    I'm gonna have another search... =]

It's probably sitting in a file in the wnidows directory =[

8. Orpheo

Orpheo Master Guru

GPU:
    Hello there all!

Thanks a lot for all your posts! I do have my CD-Key now.

Winkey finder is great! and PC Wizard is a GREAT SOFTWARE! I really recommend it.. I already have it. thanks Billabong! thanks everyone!

One more thing:

Now I have my CD-Key and by the time i'm activating Windows.. the thing says " INCORRECT PRODUCT KEY "

How come "INCORRECT" ? if that is MY CD KEY ?? below says that the cd key could have been mistyped and I tried more than 5 times with no luck.

What can I do? I just have 29 days left..

thanks !:mad:

9. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    There are four kinds of product keys:

OEM (PID example 55274-OEM)
    Retail (PID example 55273-335)
    Upgrade (PID example 55034-000)
    Corporate (PID example 55274-640)

They can only be used within their own respective installations. Winkey can change your installation key for you...and if it tells you the key is incorrect...it's incorrect. The product key changer in XP can be fussy....but for the most part it works.

Right click My Computer, and go to Properties. Take a look at your PID in the middle of the General tab. Post back the first 8 numbers in the PID like the examples I used here.

Take a quick look at these:

Screenshots

10. Orpheo

Orpheo Master Guru

GPU:
    Hello there Morpheous416:

I did what you said. and the first 8 numbers are:

"55277-OEM"

Also thanks for the LINK. I didn't know there were 4 different types of Product key.

I appreciate your your help!

11. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    You'll need an OEM key to install the software. In this case, it should work from the sticker on the side of your case/laptop. Those are OEM keys.

12. Orpheo

Orpheo Master Guru

GPU:
    Oh I saw the sticker you mentioned. there's the activation key! GREAT!! I have seen it so many times. I forgot about it.

But It did not work.

I'm gonna explain what I tried:

I have two computers one of them is a :
    1.emachines T1120 *this is the one that has the sticker in the case with the Activation Key* Also the one that has the "Restore CD so when I wanted to reinstall XP I used it.

So now I have another computer and it had Win 98SE. So I borrowed a friend his " Windows XP Home Edition CD" and I installed it already, and with the purpose of installing the OS and using my "Activation-Key" due to my Lack of the retail WIn XP CD" because I only have the "RESTORE CD".

So the only thing I have is my " Restore CD" and the sad thing is that the front of the Restore CD says." It will only work with Emachines computers"

What can I do in this case?.. I need WIN XP on my new computer its a whole new MOBO and everything works better than in my recent PC. now I'm able to use DDR and up to 1gb.. and more PCI's and stuff like that. So I need it so badly.

I'd appreciate any suggestion. thanks a lot for all the help you have provide me so far. thanks!

13. Morpheous416

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    The key on the sticker is an OEM key....and will not work on a Retail full, or Retail upgrade version CD.

Even though all it takes is to change three digits in one file to create a full version OEM, Retail, Upgrade or Corporate installation CD.....I am not sure describing it here would be appropriate.

I do need to warn you though, that key is registered to that eMachine. A new motherboard constitutes a new machine (no other single new part does)...thus rendering that key (even though it may still be activated) useless as far as support goes with Microsoft.

Activation is needed when too many hardware changes are made...or, a new motherboard.

Last edited: May 8, 2005