How Crytek doomed Crysis 2's PC version

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 24, 2011.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I agree too.

I am a PC because I demand more from SOME of my games (I still play retro stuff loads) but some people are never happy.

2. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

what exactly makes that game top notch? its a very generic shooter. nothing outstanding that would make it top notch

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It's top notch compared to anything else recently, and arguably compared to the orignal.

Most will have to admit that when it comes to SP, FPS's have been anything but top notch for the last few years.

I got into FPS's with Doom when i was a teenager, and it peaked with the Half Life games later on, but since then, if MP isn't your thing, then you have the short end of the straw.

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf

5. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well I am enjoying the game so far. I have played 1 hour of sp.
    Although it was an average effort with graphics. I was expecting more and thought I would need an excuse to up date my pc. But I dont. Hopefully the DirectX 11 patch brings something good to the table. Maybe test my machine a little more.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    im picking up the game tomorrow. as for crysis 2 being doomed, nahhh. this game will still sell like mad and make ea and crytek lots of cash

7. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    Eh, Whot?

While I do agree that in some cases a smaller environment CAN increase the tension and action, it doesn't mean that the whole game should be as such. The main reason for the scaling down I believe, is the absolutely sad amount of total RAM it has (10MiB of RAM for the GPU). This limitation makes it impossible to fit HUGE maps on the level that C1 had (BFBC actually cuts off access to the previous portions of the map and lowers resolution/detail/quality of that which is inaccessible.) I mean, the 360 performs on the level of an x1950 Radeon card, and in 2011 that's just pitiful by any standards.

8. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    i believe eveyone critisizing this game is idiot...and should see an eye doctor...

this game is superior in graphics than any game until today...

i used Crysis2AdvancedGraphicsOptions 1.6version, i've chosen extreme preset(4 not 3 in game settings i mean), i disabled msaa(which includes *****y mlaa), and the textures are epic...crysis 1 is fail in comparison with it...crysis 2 is owning...the best game ever and the most realistic..no dx10, or dx11 can touch this...every dx11 title is failed when it comes in the screen when i see now with these new tweaks i made on cryengine 3...

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33008

enjoy the most epic game ever...nothing can beat it...only crysis 2 dx11 can...

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The levels in Crysis 2 are streamed on the consoles to get around their memory limitations and as such the levels are much bigger than what their 512 MB of RAM could hold anyway. On the PC each level is loaded in its entirety which is why there's little to no LOD or pop up issues compared with the 360 and PS3 versions.

I've been playing both the 360 and PC versions and while the former is undoubtedly a stunning technical achievement, the smoother framerate and more polished visuals of the PC iteration make it the definitive version IMO. I'm even playing the game with the wired Xbox 360 controller and it just feels more precise and accurate because the framerate is 50-60 fps not 20-30 fps.

The only disappointment really with the game are the mirrored door signs (tut!), the sometimes low-res textures elsewhere and the lack of advanced graphical options in the game. That said, the game looks excellent and runs silky-smooth on Extreme settings at 1920x1200 so I can't complain really.

10. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    the most epic fail in some FPS games..is the not mirroring, and crysis 2 has the problem...
    you stare at windows, mirrors, water, and you cannot see the reflection of the player...

you think i dont exist, i am invisible not just stealth cloaked...FAIL...lol

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I noticed the fake reflections in windows but that's par for the course in a console orientated game. It's possible that the forthcoming DX11 might introduce real-time reflections, not that most will notice but one of the things that impressed me with the first Crysis and to a lesser extent with the sequel is Crytek's attention to detail. It's the little touches like items you can pick up, feet and legs you can see when you look down plus your own character's shadow that adds realism to the game and makes you feel like you're there. They don't enhance the gameplay in any way, just the atmosphere and help the game stand out from Call of Duty and its ilk with their pre-baked lighting and fixed objects.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    can you name a fps that does have mirroring in the windows ?

i did notice the shadow still there in crysis2 when you cloak yourself though. shoudlnt that be cloaked too ? the AI didnt respond to my shadows ofcourse :p

13. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Uh, nearly ALL games use cubemaps to face reflections on windows. Realtime reflections just take too much time to render.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, I noticed that too when I used the stealth ability for the first time. I think it's a bug myself as enemies would have to be either blind or stupid not to notice it.

15. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    A very poor console port.

16. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    If Crysis2 would have realtime reflections guess what happens when you walk inbetween 2 windowed skycrapers? Each would show you and the skycraper behind you, and your back, and the other reflection, and you again (your 2nd reflection) and another skycraper and another and.... BSOD lol :D

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i hope by the time of DX15 we will have it though. more realism please! :D

18. Fluxeor

Fluxeor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-270X Toxic
    I love all the "it's a ****ty port" comments... If Crysis 2 is a ****ty port then I can't wait to see Crytek pump out an "awesome title"!

19. perosmct

perosmct Banned

GPU:
    unknown
    it's not finally a console port...it's a pc port that compressed for consoles...cryengine 3 is great...

settings at level 4, with MSAA off, are beyond anything like ever before on a pc game...(only without msaa they work)...

20. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    You are either an ignoramus, a blatant liar, or just a troll.

:stewpid: