How come we can't use Ram as permanent HDD? Sleep mode only, no more turning off PC?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by SapphireLynx, Sep 26, 2013.

1. SapphireLynx

SapphireLynx Active Member

GPU:
    Msi GTX 760 SLI 1200/1700
    how come we can't use ram as a HDD permanently? like why does ram have to wipe when u turn off PC? why not a permanent sleep mode? not even an option to turn off pc permanently?

Windows 8 for instance does sleep mode quite intuitively now.

ram is what 100x faster than a HDD or SSD? we can now build PC's with 64gb of ram pretty easily, thats enough for win 8 and one or two games.

edit: i think ivy bridge e systems support 128gb ram actuallly... thats plenty of storage...

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3070
    1. RAM is the most expensive form of storage.
    2. Sleep mode does use power - a slight power outage and you would have to reinstall win 8 and your 2 games.
    3. You can use a RAM Disk (AMD is promoting this idea with Radeon RAMDisk, but it's not new - we used to do this to avoid slow floppy access).

SSD's are the closest compromise we have right now. I think that eventually we will have memory that does what you are describing, not just yet though.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    There are two types of memory.

"Volatile Memory" and "None-Volatile Memory".

Think of how your brain, you have a long term memory and short term memory.

RAM/VRAM = Volatile Memory, which means once the electrical current is stopped the memory is wiped.

HDD/SSD = None Volatile, meaning it will hold the memory even when the power is cut.

So for instance in sleep mode, data is still stored in RAM as there is still an electrical current passing through the system.

Unless manufacturers of RAM change the way its made then its purpose will always be the same for a computer's short term memory.

4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Banned

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Because the sdram suffer from heilzeimer . the better question is when will industry switch our ram module to sram . I could live with 8 GB of ddr4 sram

5. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    There's a few RAM disks out there but most of them are pretty spendy. Hyperdrive is the only one I can think of right now. It supposedly has a battery backup as well so one should be safe in the event of a power outage or whatnot. I don't know much more about it because it's way out of my budget. Sorry. Somebody else here can surely provide a better answer than I. :)

6. Captain Oats

Captain Oats Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte gtx760 2gb