How can this be art? Seriously.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Damnit, Mar 2, 2006.

1. schnopsnosn

schnopsnosn Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870 @ 900/1200
    i'll start selling the pics i made as a 3yo kid...

2. Gnarg!

Gnarg! Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2 (HIS)
    Fine, art does indeed resolve around what it actually stands for, and what it defines. But such values are of no... Well, value, as no effort seems to have been put into them. Hence they are empty, and so this particular piece of art is rendered useless.

No effort, no point, and ultimately no actual value.
    Now, some of you are most likely going to post something along the lines of
    "Ogm d00d j00 r 1i3k t3h b5in6 k3k33k3k!11 4r7 i5 41w4y5 0f 73h v41u3 k3k3k3k3!11"
    The answer is no, it is not of any value if no effort has been put into its creation. I could of course waste alot of blue dye by simply spilling it upon a paper, and telling you "That it's the sea! Hell YEAH!". You'd frown on it as it contains absolutely nothing. Same goes for this displayed piece of "Art".

One could say that it is "dead", as it lacks any emotions or thought.

Blarrrgh!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  3. .:sTreeT:.

.:sTreeT:. Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GT CO 256MB 470/1100
    Ok so this is another bad urban myth as i like to call it. It's almost as bad as the myth saying women have better spatial memory than men. I don't know about everyone else but i can easily differentiate between differents shades of colours. I think this little myth may even be as bad as some women thinking the clitoris is more ennervated than the penis. A little hint...try taking some pschology and anatomy/physiology courses :) Theres only two disorders that i can think of that even relate to gender specificity as far as shades of colour go. 1 in 100 men can encounter protanomaly where they cant detect all shades, saturations etc. of red and 5 out of 100 men encounter deuteranomaly which is the same as the above except with the colour green. In both situations they go through life without even knowing they have this issue with colours. So you can hardly make the case general by saying women detect more shades of colour than men. And yes discerning between shades of colours is still classified as colour blindness, so yes you did confuse the two because they are the same thing :)

4. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    Art can be anything really. If the artist is good, you are supposed to feel exactly what they felt at the time they created the piece.

With that being said, in all honesty, the most expensive pieces are not always the best. Who knows if what we see is what the artist was trying to convey. In the end, enjoy the art you enjoy, and don't get pulled onto the bandwagon. Just like con artists we see taking advantage of people everyday, I'm sure that there are con artists as well who know how to take advantage of the art community.

I for one don't know jack about art. I apparently get the "idea" all wrong. Oh well. Not all of us can be visually "gifted" :p.

5. chazly413

chazly413 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 970 4GB
  6. Newbie Coal

Newbie Coal Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX-8800GTS's 1280Mb @600/1011
    Ive seen better works of art painted by chimps *have you seen those chimp artworks some are actuly good :) *

7. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFI R9 390
    If someone likes it then good for them. I however think it's simple and meaningless. To me it has no context, no substance, nothing just colors. OF course I would think it dumb because most of my work is/was done in graphite. I put more importance on contrast and shadows then I would color.

Im sure technically it is art, but I just cant see it that way.

8. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    Modern Art: Made by people with imagination but no skill.

9. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    I don't understand what street artsists and people who can draw good have anything to do with what I wrote (I stated that in Fine Art school you are thought rules of traditional painting). As for Picasso, he went to school of Fine Art for years and studied classical art (his early work was not Cubism). He invented Cubism and that's why he is considered such a great artist. Cubism is when the subject matter is anlyzed than broken apart and painted in abstract form. Picasso knew exactly what he was doing in his paintings, he broke the rules deliberatly to create something new. Dali used academic techniques for just about all his paintings, what he painted has nothing to do with it (I think most people will agree that his stuff is great, meaning and representation wise).

My point is that if you are going to create very abstact art (like the one that was bubble gummed) it will be allmost immposible for you to be taken seriously by art community unless you went to Fine Art school for years and can explain why you painted the way you did (what you painted doesn't matter). I wasn't familiar with Helen Frankenthaler at all, but just did a search on her and turns out that she too spent from 1945-49 studying art and was exceptional.

10. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Two things:
    - If I make something and call it art; then by definition it IS art.
    - Anything is 'worth' the exact value that some one will pay for it at that given moment.

11. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    Easiest 1.5million that artest ever made

whatever you can get away with right?

12. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Uhm the art market doesn't work that way. Very few artists get big proces for thier art when they sell em.
    She prolly sold it for ~$5000

13. Recrofne

Recrofne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Hey, 5k for that is still pretty dang good. Especially in 1965.

As for the women being able to see more colors, there is actually some truth in that. I've read that several women have a 4th photopigment which has a slight effect on what colors they can perceive. However, any difference in an actual ability to see more colors is minimal. The largest factor here would have to be caring about the color difference and knowing all the names, seriously. To a man, all those shades of red he sees are still just red, but women will name each shade. Which I believe Icebird mentioned :).

14. darknight909

darknight909 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    easiest 5grand she ever made

15. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Wow, you just don't get it do you.
    Its not about how long it would take to copy it, but how long it would take to make. These things can take months to amke, even being so "simple." Its about heart and soul, not pretty pictures.
    I swear we need more art appeciation courses in our schools.

16. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    .:sTreeT:.

You can call anything you don't like a bad urban myth, but this has actually been researched. As early as in the 80s, scientists found PHYSICAL proof of this.. You, Mr. Smartypants, should probably already know that most people are born with 3 photopigments.. To detect colours you know? Some men are born with only 2, and is thereby color"blind" (but can still detect a fair amount of colours). Now.. what they found was that some women are born with 4 photopigments. Now, what difference would that make, you say? The whole freaking shbang! Of course they had some problems recruiting, the process generally involves removing the eye itself, so they didn't actually have that many to work with.. But later on they developed a method to check it genetically. Almost 50% of the women they checked, was 90% likely to have this 4th mysterious photopigment.. So though you "can't think of" any disorders related to colours and sex...

Yes, I will admit that I exaggerated when I said "it's a fact that girls..", but it is quite researched and concluded with that close to 50% of the women have a 90% chance of seeing colours in an entirely different way than men, and is scoring higher on colourtests than men.

And yes, Recrofne mentioned something as well. Yes, we know of the names of the colours, maybe I am just stupid, but who would you trust your nation's flag. The person who can point and say "there's a state.. and there's another one..", or the person who says "There's Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi.."

So.. Maybe you should stop calling it an urban myth.. We all know the clitoris area and the vagina is less ennervated than the penis. Would we survive a child's birth if we were? No.

17. MrBen

MrBen Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce4 ti 4200 128MB
    This is true. People do not understand the whole concept of art. It is a shame. Moreso, people don't understand that art is a HUGE part of everyones lives.

My favorite is, "You're a graphic artist? Is there even a market for that? That job will lead you nowhere!" My response, " Let's see. See that CD label? Magazine ad? Poster? Sign? Logo on your keyboard? Packaging? Book? Emblem on your shirt? It was all done by a graphic designer."

18. the_cleric

the_cleric Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I'd just like to quote Gunnery Sargeant Hartman:

There is a lot of art I really appreciate and that always manages to impress me over and over again. But that is not modern art...

19. PicoTTo2005

PicoTTo2005 Member Guru

Took the words right outa my mouth.!

Upper class snobs are the kind of people who find this intresting.

20. SimzI

SimzI Member

GPU:
    nVidia 6800GTo @ 406/1.1ghz
    Well even if it is somebody elses feelings in the painting, what is it going to mean to you and why would the person sell it if it means something to them?