How can modern smokers still be so defensive about their habit?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mkilbride, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turdhat

Turdhat Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 X
    Where I live you can not smoke inside of any building other than a private home. No bars, business no where but home or in your car and outside plus you must be 25 feet from an entrance to a building. I love this and I smoke. At 1st I complained but as a result, I smoke less, stopped smoking inside of our home two years ago and painted so you never knew. I smoke outside only and it has cut down my smoking by a large margin.

I do no like the governments telling us what we can and cant do when it has zero effect on others. However, as this addiction is so powerful I am glad this has happened. Few people really enjoy smoking. We do it because we are addicts. Simple as that. As a smoker if anyone says any different they are tossing you off. Smokers smoke and think it is enjoyable. Well, of course avoiding nicotine withdraw is enjoyable. For some people (me) it is like trying to kick heroin I imagine. Sweats, shakes, anxiety attacks, heart palpitations, no sleep. All of these things are what I deal with using patch, gum only prolongs the agony.

I have felt its withdraw many times from trying to quit over the years and can say it is different for everyone. Some people (like my wife) just put it down, feel grumpy for a few days and move on. For me it is pure hell..

No riddle me this ? Why is it that I can get inpatient treatment for all the illegal stuff but not for nicotine. Cig smoking kills more each year that all other legal and illegal drugs combined. I can go to treatment for pot (haha its not even addictive so sayeth science) but not cigs.

I would check in tomorrow. Where is the logic ? I ask my self why I started and the answer makes me feel the biggest fool of all.

To look "cool" and fit in with others. I always hung out with people a few years up on me. Always get along with them better. Started at 15, quit at 16, started again at 17 and quit one year 93-94 and have smoked everyday since. Long time. I think I have been a bit lucky though.

I mountain bike (always have) and I have played drums for 27 years. All cardio by luck. I can ride 10-30 miles up hills and down, trails and have no smoking friends that cant keep up. 6 '1 and 173. Was 205 last year. Wonder when it will catch up. I feel fine and maybe the drumming and bike riding have warded off some of the effects. Only a matter of time though if I dont quit. I wont deny that.

Here is my band (shameles plug). We are a large touring (soon) pink floyd tribute band. Check it out....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6T4yzf2es

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  2. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    smoking cant be bad to u, as its supported by many good reputation companys and goverments and ofc actors

u should quit 2nd hand smoking and start it ur self! cmon lit it, its actually health product

3. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    iolite vaporizer for mobile use and digital volcano for home :) problem is I cant grow it or buy it without being illegal, to completely stop my consumption of tobacco I would need quite a lot more than I could afford, thats why I mix unfortunately. I dont want this decending into a drugs debate so will leave it at that just wanted to answer your question.

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Actually the catalytic converter must be fully heated up and functioning correctly before it reduces the polution. The problem is the vast majority of the time folks drive such a short distance that the catalytic converter doesn't have time to fully heat up - plus of course regardless of the driving time/distance, the first several minutes or miles is still very poluted.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ah alright. well i can tell you first hand i smoke ALLOT less since i stopped smoking tobacco with it. its much more potent that way. thats why i asked. :)
    thanks for answering, and get rid of vaporizers btw, they suck hehe :)

6. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Cancers a difficult thing and it strikes people who just don't deserve it.....

Take my mates family for instance. The mother and her 3 sons all smoke and drink heavily, whilst the father who doesn't has been diagnosed with aggressive stomach cancer and been given months to live.

I think if you are genetically prone to cancer avoiding all of lifes bad habits just prolongs the inevitable, whereas others who aren't prone to it seem to be able to do what they want....

7. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I'm a smoker for 11 years now, and I'm everything else but proud or happy with it..
    I smoke ~1 package a day (20 ciggs), with an cost of 2.85€ atm. So with the fact that they've been cheaper the last 11 years (I remember back then when I started, 1 package of Marlboro lights costed me ~1.2€), so let's say I smoked an avarage of 1.9€/day for the last 11 years. So that should be roughly 7600€ gone into the sky for a bad habbit..

I would love to stop, just dunno how. If I'm trying to quit, it goes for maybe 12 hours, then I get nervous like hell, and my head (arround the eyes) feels like it's swollen..
    Oh hell if there would be a pill that would let you stop smoking instantly.. I'd give anything for it..

8. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I know the feeling, took me half a dozen attempts to stop. I did it by denying myself a smoke for 24 hours, then a week later I stopped completely, knowing how it was going to feel.

1 week later the urges slow down.

2 weeks later the urges stop. I still thought about smoking, but the actual physical distress had gone and after then it gets much easier.

Being free of the cravings is the best feeling in the world though, I'll tell you that.

9. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Everytime I see this Mkilbride guy post I just want to punch a hole in my monitor.

Let me get this straight.. you're saying if I'm having a cig and there's a person close by, they're getting 11x more damage from the dissipated smoke in the air than I am directly huffing it into my body?

+1 vaporisers are awful :( Next time I try and quit (soon) will be bad.. I need tobacco to smoke green how I like it and I need to smoke that everyday just like cigs.. having a cig after a bong is going to be a very very hard habit to stamp on. I also use a tiny bit of tobacco in each bong to act as a gauze. Not looking forward to it :3eyes:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  10. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    But driving allows people to get places faster and therefore has numerous advantages for society. Does your fag transport you places in a fraction of the time it takes to walk there?

11. davetheshrew

davetheshrew Guest

GPU:
    some green some red
    whoa really digging all the green smokers coming out the woodwork haha Doug id never have guessed :)

12. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i smoke and if people dont like it they can leave

theres people who never smoked and still get cancer and theres people who smoke and never get cancer

"Im more worried about people driving and texting"...

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    :banana:

14. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    lol, win

/thread

15. IndianScout

IndianScout Banned

GPU:
    GTX580 SLI
    living on an Indian reservation, we don't have the same restrictive smoking laws that most states observe, but we do sell brands that are 100% natural

IE, no added chemicals or additives...

I smoke a brand called Native, completely 100% natural..

now I'm not trying to blow smoke up anyone's ass, smoking is bad for you and the people around you.

but I'd rather smoke a clean natural cigarette than one filled with all the crap that the name brands like to include..

I've heard it for years from pot smokers how they tout pot as being from the earth, no additives and other crap blah blah blah, that it is better than tobacco.

well we have the same thing, only in tobacco form..

while it's not the same as quitting, I'd rather smoke these than a Marlboro that has formaldehyde and crap in it..

here's what's on the native brands box..

[​IMG]

everyone has their own choice in life to smoke drink or whatever, I personally rather smoke something that is 100% additive free then what they are selling to the main stream public..

16. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    thats the same brand i smoke i get it cheap at my local tobacco farm

17. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    CRAP!

I'm just glad I don't smoke. Life is so much easier without being addicted to something.

18. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Guest

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    i work for a cigarette company and I do smoke. But I also agree that we should consider people around us when lighting a cigarette. Here in swiss its not allowed to smoke in closed public area. Even in our office we need to go to designated smoking lounge to have a smoke.

Second hand smoker is 11X more dangerous? then just light a cigarette whenever youre surrounded by smoker. Its significantly reduce your chance of cancer if you believe it that way lol.

I can say as long as it pays my bill then I'm fine with it.

To smoke or not to smoke is your choice to make at the end of the day.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I find it hard to believe that all those ingredients are in a cigarette. Grape Juice and Beet Juice concentrate?

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    second hand smoke is nothing more than a myth, it's complete bull****.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.