How can I make sure my Q6600 is performing up to snuff?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by DarKGuru, Jan 23, 2011.

1. DarKGuru

DarKGuru Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 560 TI DCUII
    Hey guys :nerd:
    I have my Q6600 clocked to 3.0ghz (333x9) with 2x RAM div. Didn't think it was worth bumping volts and risk stability just to get 3.2 (best I could get stable).

My performance is good in GPU limited games (99% usage) and really bad in CPU limited games (<35% usage) eg Starcraft 2 and Men of War - which is making me think it's the CPU.

Generic CPU benchmarks are kind of lame...I need a better way to know if my CPU+GPU combo is doing as well as it should.

2. ivan.winata

ivan.winata Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080Ti Zotak
    You got it backward
    GPU limited games --> CPU usage would be <50%
    CPU limited games --> CPU usage >90% all the time.

Just use task manager and rivatuner to log both your CPU/GPU usage. Then make a graph in excel which will show you the result

3. DarKGuru

DarKGuru Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 560 TI DCUII
    Really? So a game that's using 30% of my GPU and only giving me <40fps (laaaag) is GPU limited? Where as a game giving me 150FPS @ 99% GPU usage is CPU limited? I'd love to have 99% usage in every game if it means good FPS.

I use'd GPU-Z to measure GPU usage and moved in to using EVGA Precision overlay, and Everest displays all 4 CPUs usage on my G15 LCD. Most of the games use 20-75% cores each depending on the game (single core games like MoW spread over cores but don't use more than 150% of a possible 400%).

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    ugh....this is already getting confusing.

CPU bound games will give the highest CPU usage....GPU bound games will give the highest GPU usage. In cases of CPU bottleneck, GPU usage will be reduced.....btw, limited = bottleneck, which should not be occuring with your currently config.

5. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V
    I had a q6700 extreme and i threw it out for a i7 2600k for that very reason. In many games only 20 to 30 % of my 480 was being used which was lame. I dont have that problem anymore :)

6. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    It depend at watt resolution you play a game ! Look at my specs but i play at 1024x768 so no problem for me but if you go higher you will see the difference !
    (don't ask about my res. i like it this way , call me old fashion :p)