How Are They Going To Do it?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by cartdog, Dec 16, 2009.

1. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    This past week "world leaders" are hoping to resolve an issue which has been long standing....climate change and combating it. It appears that we need to shift...rapidly into greener energy.

The U.N. is seeking to establish a legally binding treaty within early next year. This will be the rule of law amoungst all nations to abide by there emission cuts and lower there carbon footprint.

One questions that sticks in my mind is how are they going to achieve this?
    Conservative estimates state that there are over 600,000,000 vehicles on the roads....thats a coservative guess, Im guessing its about the 800,000,000 - 1,000,000,000 mark.

Now this is not counting trucks, ships, planes and trains. They are all HUGE! uses of fossil fuels. And to my knowledge there isnt really any effort underway to make fossil fuel free variations of these modes of transportation.

If they pass these new laws which are set to be very stringent, how do they expect any of it to work? Even if you attempted to fase out cars etc etc and replace them with fully functioning hybrids...alot of people just dont have the money to go out and buy a new hybrid, and the time period to do that would take several years..or much more.

Then you have the issue of where do you put the cars? Its simple, we have created a life reliant of fuels...and no treaty is ever going to slow or deminish that. Every single aspect of life has a large carbon print. From making plastic bags, to tyres, even to making clean water....they all require fuel of one source or another. I hardly think you can over hall the entire system in what? 25-50years? no way.

I think we'll see restrictions on travel, possibly some other server measures. I hate to think whats down the near future.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    In before lock.

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    what the hell is wrong with people are you stupid?
    can't you just resist the urge to start a flame thread?

4. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    OP, I guess you gotta start somewhere.

5. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Maybe the sage advice of the first few posters will set the tone for the thread.

This is not "Right and Wrong Arena".

An intelligent discussion does not include remarks like "you are stupid" "omfg" and so forth.

6. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    excuse me sash, but no-one forced you to post on this thread. So shut that hole in your face and run along. This isnt a flaming thread, its a legitimate discussion, if you dont have a view on IT then get lost.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    No its just

I think sash getting at.

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Well said...

9. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Kylzer, I see what your getting at dude. They "may" be closed if people cant stick to the topic and have a civil discussion. For once in these forums Id like to see people refrain from enjoying or getting pleasure in stirring up peoples emotions....eventually getting a thread they dont approve of closed, due to arguments etc etc.

Its simple, what can they do. Place your ideas and comments. Thats all its about. Its not about dissing the other person or saying he's wrong blah blah blah. Place your comment, read and leave it at that....its really the very simplist of human interaction, appears though its not simple enough for some.

10. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    It is just a simple fact that we have too much people on this earth.

11. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    They impose restrictions on manufacturers. Much like safety standards. If your car wasn't equipped with seatbelts, airbags and crumple zones, you didn't have to get rid of your car, nor did you have to modify it to get it up to standard.

12. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Thank you. Vinnie brought an interesting topic about population. Many claim that in order to save the earth we need to adopt a law like the Chinese government has had for decades, but adopt it on a global scale...I find that very scary indeed.

There others which are laughable..like de-populating the earth, but I wouldnt put anything past any Government.

So Ink, you think that it will more um..more of a regulation in the manufactoring side of things? So taxes etc on companys that dont comply. Thats a good theory man. I just wonder though, if those regulations where imposed...it would only affect newer vehicles...not the ones currently on the roads worldwide. Maybe I misread your post, please correct me if I did.

13. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Yep. You don't see any vintage cars with airbags, do you?

It wouldn't be a tax on manufacturers. It would simply be if they couldn't provide a model with appropriate emission specifications, they wouldn't be able to import vehicles. So, essentially, it would be a waste of resources designing cars which don't cut it.

14. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    The Spartans had the right idea about population control ........it made them STRONG!
    Minamized retards & trolls!
    Ea. Country is crying about its rights as a growing nation to be able to burn fossil fuels & trees etc..so since the USA is so wasteful they desire that right also. Until we change dont expect the Planet as a whole to follow suit. You dont see all Americans driving compact cars do ya? We are spoiled & our pollution levels show it.
    Its a simple case of people who live in glass houses shouldnt throw rocks. America is far from green.....................There is well over one hundred yrs. of fossil fuels yet to burn up imagine the World in 100yrs................................Wish I would be here to to see it outta be interesting with the population tripled by then....Wonder if Soylent green really tastes like chicken or more like cat food?

15. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Ok, so i got you. Hmmm thats interesting because that affects all the car markets, whereit be racing, sports or leisure. We may see a reduction in the V12 - V10 monsters comming out of europe and even here in australia...cos we all know they drink ALOT!

16. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Thats a good point heli..i never thought of what you are saying about developing nations...because yes..in esence they are saying " you did it to grow, why cant we ". I guess it reflects not only there stupidity but also there overall inablity of co-operate with eachother.

I read somewhere about 2 years ago that there is acttually 1 or 2 acres per person of land mass for everyone....some food for thought there.

And in 100years...If things keep going as they are so rapidly..then you might not have to wait 100years to see its effects. Not to mention the issue of coal...which china along burns something like 20,000tonnes a day..I cant remember the exact weights.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  17. Wraythe

Wraythe Member

GPU:
    ATI 5670X2 Crossfire
    The real problem is that the world is grossly overpopulated and equally reliant on the fuels that it is a virtual impossibility to impose any real restrictions without causing a global uproar about it. We are turning in the right direction with the new hybrid cars, bio-diesel engines, even here in the states I recently found out that you can have a windmill installed in your yard to cut energy costs and the state actually has to buy the excess energy created to distribute to the rest of the city. So essentially you can have a $0 electric bill and even get paid to have the wind mill. So I believe that we are moving in a good direction but it will not fully happen in my lifetime. Maybe my 18 month old son might see some real benefit from it.

18. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Yeah they have the same sceme here in australia..but using solar. It costs about $10,000 to set up..but yeah as you stated you esentually have a $0 electrical bill...which is good for you and the environment. Imagine if you had a whole city adopting this? It could work very well.

I hope your son see's it too mate.

19. Wraythe

Wraythe Member

GPU:
    ATI 5670X2 Crossfire
    Well to be honest the windmills and solar panels are the only way to truely go green due to the hybrid cars still requiring electricity so you have to plug them in essentially burning more coal to fuel them so unless you have the system set up with the windmills and solar panels a hybrid right now is actually doing nothing to help the enviornment. It may still cause less pollution to charge them up. I would have to put more research into it but I am pretty sure it is still causing more coal to burn due to most places are still doing that. In all fact in the US the average household pays about 2000 USD a year in electricity. So if you take that into account after 5 years these systems have paid for themselves and on top of that like I said the state has to buy back the excess energy you ccreate so after 5 years you are actually making a profit. The only problem is that most people dont have the money for the initial start.

20. Joey

Joey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    The bank bail out money the UK pissed away was more than enough to build the 100+ nuclear power stations we would need to be completely power autonomous.... there would also be more than enough left to give every person who has car.. a new electric car.. and give everyone in the country a fibre internet connection. Of course the side effects of all that public works is the creation of millions of jobs, a massive economic boost, an incredible reduction in our foreign expenditure, reduce our "carbon emissions" by more than half and make us one of the best countries in the world.

Ah well! :bang: