How are the 8 series doing under Vista?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LukeMan UK, Jul 7, 2007.

1. LukeMan UK

LukeMan UK Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
    Howdy.

Just upgrading from a 7900GTX to a 8800GTX and 4GB ram on tuesday.

Just wondering how the drivers are for the 8 series, my 7 card was doing great in Vista though I hear the 8 series are not doing so good with the drivers?

Can install XP again if it's that bad or is the performance doing alright?

Cheers.

2. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    There are some games which have problems (Colin McRae Dirt), but most applications run just fine. Stalker, WoW, F.E.A.R., Half LifeĀ² are all working perfect for me.

3. LukeMan UK

LukeMan UK Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
    Ah nice one, just to clarify I'll be putting on 64-Bit Vista, but most of the 32-Bit drivers have 64-Bit versions too I guess.

4. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    If your CPU can handle it there is no reason to not use Vista 64bit, driver support is as good as for 32bit.

5. Ryan Williams

Ryan Williams Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
    There aren't really any significant issues, although I'd recommend using the 158.45 drivers. Most of the issues you're likely to have heard of come from using the other hit-and-miss drivers that've been released (162.15, 165.01, etc).

I went directly from using my 8800 GTX in XP to Vista (both 32-bit, same hardware) and the performance drop was negligible at most, and in certain games like Command & Conquer 3 I noticed my performance actually improve due to those games being more taxing on CPU/RAM and Vista having better CPU/RAM management.

That said, there is a slight GPU performance drop with Vista; however, with an 8800 GTX this really isn't an issue at all. Slightly more concerning is that there's also an image quality drop (textures are basically not quite as sharp/defined as on XP), but unless you've been using an 8800 GTX on XP and then moved it to Vista you're unlikely to notice as the 8800 GTX itself has a marked quality improvement from the previous generations which should balance it out.

When the Vista drivers finally catch up with XP's quality (which 162.15 come extremely close to doing but have some issues with not rendering effects properly in certain games, and were withdrawn) it'll be sweet. :)

6. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

anyone use the 64bit edition? im thinking of trying the 64bit vista basic

any better than 32bit? any faster? i know FarCry had some special 64bit graphic addons that looked nice. Just wondering if any other game has it and if it suits DX10 any better.

checking google. I havent done much research on this yet.

http://64-bit-computers.com/windows-vista-32-bit-vs-64-bit-benchmark.html

i dunno if that link can be trusted to well but i hope the dual core performance is that good. But wow mixed results......

this is VERY old but i still cant belive the diffs. i hope more games add even more under 64bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411&p=3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2007
  7. LukeMan UK

LukeMan UK Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8800GTX 768MB
    Cheers for the replies, was hoping it would be alright gaming wise as I need Vista-64 to make use of all my ram anyway. :)

8. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

^^ just make sure all the software u like dont use 16bit installers.(its rare from what i understand)
    and that they are all compatible.

but other than that, it looks like ill try 64bit vista sometime next year. :p