How are people hooking up VR devices and what is going on with vega?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by potatochobit, Dec 31, 2017.

1. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    so I want to hook up a VR headset to my computer
    the headest is HDMI and my monitor is HDMI so I need two HDMI slots

but all the new amd cards are STILL only 1 hdmi output, what is going on with this?

right now I have the monitor using a dvi to hdmi
    but now the refresh rate is stuck at 60Hz max and the monitor can go higher
    from what I hear, DP to hdmi will also be stuck at 60Hz

so how are people hooking up their occulus rift or PSVR to the PC if the monitor does not have display port?
    I guess the cheapest thing to do would be to buy a new montior

also, when can I get a vega 56, really sick of waiting for them to be in stock
    stupid card still has only 1 hdmi port though

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 3070
    I don't have personal experience in this area, but I know people in the similar situations have reported success using Vive connected with DVI to HDMI adapter. Many of these adapters are only single link even if they have the extra pins, so that might be an issue depending on the resolution you're trying to drive. DP to HDMI seems like it would be an option also, as there are converters claiming to support up to 4K/60Hz. The HDMI cable used might cause problems.

Maybe somebody with actual experience in this area can help. It might be useful to state the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor, and the versions of each interface, on each device.

Some non-reference Vega 56 do have 2 HDMI ports. Good luck finding one :eek:

3. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    thanks
    so i did some more shopping around
    usually I buy XFX cards and most amd cards only have 1 hdmi output but apparently ASUS brand cards have 2 hdmi outputs
    so I guess if I ever actually see one in stock, Ill have to get an asus next
    I tried to create a custom resoltuion but it say it is not compatible even though I know the monitor can do 75hz

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Radical concept: Use a Displayport to HDMI adapter

5. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    that is a radical concept
    but I dont know if you read my first post; a Displayport to HDMI adapter is limited to 60Hz
    and I want to run my display at 75Hz so it will not be useful
    now I did see chinese knock off adapters that "spoof" fake monitor IDs to run at whatever Hz you want, but I dont want to use any of that probably

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    And why would it be limited to 60Hz? It depends on the version of DP and HDMI supported, aka bandwidth capacity. I have used them on a 1080p monitor for 75Hz and higher.

On your first post you said this, but the info you have read is seriously wrong.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Radical Thinking of mine...
    Why would I buy VR headset for which I do not have direct connection?

You can always get new monitor with Freesync and DP. That will free your HDMI. Me, personally with 3x DP +1x HDMI on card... I would not think about getting HDMI device.

As far as VR goes, I will not get it till it supports adaptive sync.

If your DP => HDMI is limited to 60Hz, use it for regular monitor. And hook VR into HDMI directly.