Hotkeys are borked.

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by landerfha, Jan 24, 2012.

1. landerfha

landerfha Member

GPU:
    780 TI
    I’ve been avoiding mentioning this because I have this recollection of the last person mentioning this getting reamed for being an idiot, but it’s just too annoying to ignore anymore. Regardless of what version I use, going back to the original, or if it’s vista or 7, profile hotkeys eventually fail to work. They start out fine but then they just stop working and I have to restart the program. And this isn’t just me here. My friend running AMD has had the same issues going back just as long. I’ve seen others mention it at various points and the ultimate solution always seems to be give up on using profile hotkeys. To make it even more confusing both me and my friend have experienced random activation of other profiles when typing, even when we’re nowhere near the assigned keys.

If this really is an unknown bug to the author then I can only assume it’s some sort of interference caused by other programs, but I can’t think of what overlapping programs we use. I know he experienced the phantom triggering a few times in WOW, that’s about it. For me it’s just when using gmail etc. Interestingly I had this issue with rivatuner as well. Do they handle hotkeys the same way? If there’s anything that can be done to resolve this I’d greatly appreciate it. I think it’d be best to only use my 580 OC when needed.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No, there are absolutely different hotkey handling mechanisms, RivaTuner uses generic Windows hotkey handling or low-level keyboard hooks if it is enabled in settings. Afterburner uses DirectInput to handle hotkeys.
    And I'm more than certain that it is not a software issue, like it or not.

3. landerfha

landerfha Member

GPU:
    780 TI
    Do you mean not a software issue on afterburners end, or in general? In general wouldn't make any sense. Restarting afterburner makes it accept hotkey inputs again. I can't practically imagine how that would be a hardware or user error.

Pressing keys on the main pab and having it trigger a numpad key I could imagine being a keyboard issue, but at the time we encountered that issue we weren't using the same keyboards. Since the primary issue of not accepting hotkey inputs after a time made the other issue irrelevant I haven't been able to further test that in quite some time.

Could a game do anything to affect hotkeys? I tend to flip between clocks in game to compare performance. I’d imagine most users would be doing it before and after launching a game.

To clarify with rivatuner I just meant it not responding to hotkeys, not the phantom thing.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012