hot flashing ... too risky to try?!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chibby, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Chibby

Chibby Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 9800pro 128MB @ 418|381
    hi gurus!

what are your experiences with hot flashing a motherboard BIOS?

i just wanted to know if i should hot flash my old, "dead" bios chip (flash went wrong on friday .. already ordered a new one) ...

i read some how-tos and i think it's manageable ...
    this one is very good for ppl who don't know what i'm talking about ...

so - please post if and how you have done a hot flash before ... or just if you'd do it!

~chibby

2. god4sure

god4sure Elite Trini Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX / X300
    Sorry dude, I have never done it but I do wish you the best of luck.

3. BodyBag

BodyBag Master Guru

GPU:
    POV465 @ 470
    I killed my bios on my MSI Diamond motherboard. So I decided to hot flash the dead bios chip using an nf7-s..................and it worked a treat, its a bit tricky though............gooooooood luck....

4. AJ²06

AJ²06 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GT 330M 512MB
    Ohhh.... I dunno... UNLESS u have money for a backup then do it. Cuz all the flashing situations get me nervous. :D

5. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    If you've read how to's and know the requirements then you will be fine. It's if you go ahead and try it without knowing what you are doing that something could go wrong.

I don't know what you will choose to remove the BIOS chip from it's place hold on the motherboard, but if you're not using a dedicated BIOS removal tool then be careful, particularly if using a metal tool.

How did you come to the conclusion that yours was "dead" ? Just wondering cause my Neo went that way too. Buuuut it gave me an excuse to buy the DFI so it wasn't a problem. :)

6. Chibby

Chibby Maha Guru

GPU:
    it was dead because:
    black screen of death after reboot after bios flash ... tried everything from playing arround with one mem module in each slot to pressing the power button while psu not plugged in ... also cleared CMOS :p

nothing .. so i ordered a new chip (arrived 2h ago)

for removing the chip while sys is hot i prepared something ... i put a string (cord, ... don't know how it's called in engl ... a string for sewing) under the chip and pressed it in ... so i just have to pull the cord and it will pop out!
    works great (tested it with sys powered off ... it's running fine with the string and powered on right now)

i'll hot flash that bastard in the evening ..

7. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Ah right, so a pretty straightforward diagnosis in your case. With my Neo, first it locked up in Windows out of the blue and beeped like a mofo, then I restart and it won't boot into Windows, locks up doing anything intensive, then after much deliberation it would not get past the POST screen, and finally would not POST at all. :p I wasted hours of messing around with that board in the early morning. It had done this before and I'd sorted it, but even though I managed to get into Windows this one time and flash the BIOS before it locked up again, it did not help. I was not too impressed with that board.

8. Chibby

Chibby Maha Guru

GPU:
    hey!
    forgot to post back ....
    just wanted to let you know, that i managed to hot-flash it .... it was quite easy, thanks to my n1-removal-mehanism :p