Hot Chips conference announced - AMD holds keynote on Zen 2 and Navi in ​​August

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Silva likes this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Guess Zen2 will arrive around September.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Not sure why they're holding Zen2 back like that. I'm sure many are waiting to upgrade.

olymind1 and Silva like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am not sure if it means delay or not. They may introduce them earlier. Sell them earlier. And this may be just Deep Dive as it is tech crowd, not gaming show.
    Apparently large number of us are waiting for new CPU and GPU form AMD. I'll not be happy if I have to wait till September.
    (Because I am not buying 12 or 16 core CPU from intel as I am not that wasteful with cash. And if mainstream GPUs come that late, one can as well wait for bigger ones or two chiplet based GPUs.)

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I really expect a release date at Computex and if it is September then I'll seriously consider getting a 2700X in the mean time. Might be weird but my poor card is held back by my 6700K and I need to get something to unleash it.

Fox2232 likes this.
  6. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    I think there was a news item not too long ago, saying that AMD has yield problems on the 7nm node. Might be the reason.

EDIT: I was wrong, see Hilbert's response below.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  7. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You have that reversed, yields are reported to be at 70% or by now better, thus are okay (but not great). Since there are two to three ICs on a die depending on proc based on the chiplet design, the 8-core packages are small. More package on a wafer means fewer dropouts. Intel has yield issues on the monolithic many-core chips.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-zen-2-production-yields-for-ryzen-3000-dies-at-70-percent.html

fantaskarsef, airbud7, chispy and 2 others like this.
  8. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 16GB
    Ah, thanks for correcting me.

9. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Motherboard manufacturers are preparing their Zen2 capable motherboards for Computex it looks like from many leaks.
    But Zen2 will only be some 'chit-chat' in August?I just don't get it.
    What we will see at Computex from AMD is not clear from here, at least not to me.

10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well getting a 2700x in the meantime means eventually getting to a 3000 with not the optimal motherboard.
    I do not expect for you big changes moving from a 6700k (OC?) if it has decent memory to a 2700x. How much do you think you can gain?

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Lisa Su could talk about Zen 2 and Navi in December for a specific audience, but it wouldn't mean the things would only be available to customers in January 2020. These news alone don't mean anything, other than that people will have an opportunity to listen to Lisa Su in August. It's not like the products would be ancient already in August and not worth talking about for AMD. Why would they stop talking about them even if they were already on shop shelves?

In the first place some "Hot Chips: A Symposium on High Performance Chips" doesn't sound like a place where anyone would hold the release speech for brand new architectures aimed at everyone from the entry level to the upper mainstream/early enthusiast. Who knows, maybe she will save the explanation for Threadripper's disappearance there.

12. spine

spine Member Guru

GPU:
    Titan Xp CE + EK WB
    Why would they goto a conference to discuss future technology of chips already available to customers?

It's clear we won't see Zen2 till then, 19th August, so most likely September as someone said earlier.

13. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's not clear to me at all. You think we won't hear anything at Computex, for example? You might be different, but I have never heard of any "Hot Chips: A Symposium on High Performance Chips" before. Seems like a pretty strange place to publicly introduce groundbreaking 7nm products of immense importance to AMD in regaining market share.

14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You are right of course, it's just that waiting four months is not ideal. I would of course sell everything when buying the 3700X on a X570 mobo but yes, it's perhaps a bit of a waste.

6700K -> 2700X = more of a side grade in most games but definitely an upgrade in CPU intensive games like Anthem, TD2, Odyssey and SotTR which all max out my CPU while playing. I do have a 2x8 3200MHz CL14 kit ready to be used.

15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    My guess is that AMD will introduce 7nm at computex, but only up to 8 core.
    August might be to talk about 16 core part (hot chips?).

fredgml7 likes this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    It is a bit weird but Zen2 doesn't seem like your typical incremental upgrade. I'm sure they're trying to iron out all of the bugs, not only with the new chipsets but the old ones as well. People have very high expectations for this and I'm sure AMD is just trying to ensure they can live up to them.
    But like Silva said, it's possible the 8-core models might be released first. AMD seems to have put more attention toward those.

As for Navi, I'm sure the never-ending wait on that is to make sure the drivers are mature. The hardware itself isn't as impressive as we had hoped but AMD has a tendency to release GPUs with sub-par drivers, which often hurts their reputation long-term. Their drivers eventually mature into something pretty good, but the first impression is what really matters - most hardware reviewers don't take another look.
    That being said, my old 290 has been aging very well, thanks to driver updates. If this GPU's performance remained the same as its initial drivers offered, I'd likely have replaced it 2+ years ago. If AMD wants Navi to get positive reviews, they need to make sure it performs better than their usual release-day benchmark results.

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Maybe they are waiting for MS to do their thread scheduler improvements for Zen in general. Getting 2~3 additional % of performance from CPU in total at same clock will make Zen2 look even better. At least till someone realizes that Zen(+) has been improved too thanks to those changes.

18. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    It makes sense to me, maybe 12 core too.

Silva likes this.
  19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    lol yeah good point. MS still hasn't really fixed their scheduler for models like the 2990WX. Except for Linux users or those who know about that Windows scheduler hack, I'm sure AMD isn't happy that MS is kinda screwing up their reputation. So yeah, maybe they're hoping to get that fixed first, and tested for stability.

20. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    They are not holding anything back, just shifted priorities. AMD is prioritizing EPYC over Ryzen. This is essentially because 60% of global server infrastructure is due to be renewed in next 2 years, and their partners like Dell have tripled their AMD server offerings. AMD wants to hit the enterprise market first, so they are pulling back desktop offerings for now, including canning the thread ripper launch. I was at DTW 2019 Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago, and this was quite obvious.