Horrible shadows in Need for Speed Most Wanted

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Fe-Man, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Diob

Diob New Member

GPU:
    Asus x850 XT PE 256 MB
    nope. it stays the same as i posted before

btw you can set the shadows' quality in the advanced options. press "2" to get there.

2. Webwiper

Webwiper Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Extreme X850XT @ PE with Artic ATI Silencer 5
    You must be kidding :rolleyes: :p

3. superhero

superhero Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800XT 128MB
    Post some images please.

Thanks

4. Diob

Diob New Member

GPU:
    Asus x850 XT PE 256 MB

5. superhero

superhero Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800XT 128MB
    Would you please drive the car under a tree and have a look at the shadow.

Remember to set shadows to the highest in video option.

Sorry just want to make sure.
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  6. Diob

Diob New Member

GPU:
    Asus x850 XT PE 256 MB
  7. 3dfxvoodoo7maka

3dfxvoodoo7maka Active Member

GPU:
    ATI x800Pro(472/450)
    When I installed the demo, I had the errors on the shadows, later when I installed the full version, it dissapeared! But my firend has the same problem even with the full version!

Also I must say the performance of the game is really sluggish, the fps are acceptable but it's lagging after every corner, and accessing the hdd all time!

Funny thing my friend gets lot better performance in the game than me, we run it in same settings, just he got a p4 3.2Ghz and I run Athlon XP3K2. Even he has a 128MB 9800Pro, and me a x800pro 256MB! Considering my GPU has all specs higher then the 9800P, and even a additonal 128megs, it's quite dissapointing!

8. ataxy

ataxy Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 275 1gb
    i have a 9800pro AIW and i have absolutly no problem with shadow and i run the game with all setting at high

9. Fe-Man

Fe-Man Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4890 1GB
    Hmm, maybe it's been fixed in the full game, as Diob's game is the full, not the demo. Gotta get out and buy this game, I love Need for Speeds

10. superhero

superhero Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800XT 128MB
    Don't know why some people said that they still have blocky shadows with the full version.

11. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
    @superhero: "Don't know why some people said that they still have blocky shadows with the full version."

i've seen these blocky shadows on my Gigabyte 9600Pro (fanless) 128Mb / ASUS 9550GE 128Mb / Hercules 9600 256Mb all w/ the NFS-MW BlackEdition

12. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Got the Black Edition full game and the shadows are blocky on my X800, although not as bad as Battlefield 2 by any means. Like BF2 the shadows are smooth edged on my 6800 in comparison, more "blobby" then blocky. Tbh its not the end of the world, but is quite noticeable for me since I race in the in car/first person/bumper mounted cam view where you can see the car shadow in front of you at all times. I think its just an odd issue with EA and the way ATI cards handle their shadows. Without seeing the game on my 6800 I may not have noticed though tbh.

13. Herr Lisch

Herr Lisch Member

GPU:
    power color x800 pro
    This is the second game where i notice blocky shadows with my Ati card...
    Like double_cut said they arent that annoying like in Battlefield 2 but coming straight from a 6800 and seeing how the shadows are meant to be, this is really a letdown :(

If someone wanted to switch his 6800nu with my x800 pro i would be the last one who would deny the deal. Really disappointed here :(
    Hope that drivers in future can fix this ugly fact.

Also see this thread about Battlefield 2 if yer interested

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=157507

Greetz HL

14. kg3

kg3 Member

GPU:
    x800xt aiw
    my shadows are fine in both BF2 and NFSMW with my x800xt aiw :D guess im lucky

15. mrwinky

mrwinky New Member

GPU:
    XpertVision X800 256mb DDR3
    on my x800 they seam just like diob but with out the AA... i have full Most Wanted Black edition.. they dont look as chunky as the first few posts... but they still look a bit sus... but its just trees we are here for racing... no the nature hence y we knock it down when gettin chased:p

16. chennhui02

chennhui02 Member Guru

I just upgraded from 6600GT to X800 GT0 and I do not see any shadow error in BF2 and NFSMW. I test both on old OS with past nvidia driver and newly installed OS and did not see those funny shadow.

17. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    i guess most people use the real driver from ati and there shadow look great and other use custom driver and the shadow look like crap.

18. double_cut

double_cut Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PS3/360 Elite
    Not really, iv been using the stock Catalyst 5.11 and it still happens. From the screenshots not showing the blocky error it looks as if they dont actually display the shadows of the trees on the cars as you pass underneath them. Its a very odd issue and on my system is very similar to the BF2 shadow "bug" that is still yet to be fixed. Had it been an issue with the game itself id have thought it would be seen on both ATI and Nvidia cards, as with BF2 I expect its an issue with the X800/850's handling of the shadows EA have implemented.

Like I say, its bit of pain in the ass but not exactly game breaking, more an annoyance as in BF2. Unfortunately like the shadow issues in BF2 its unlikely we will see a fix any time soon. :/

EDIT: Hmm, been reading through a thread at DriverHeaven and it seems that its only when shadows are set to high that ATI cards have this blocky shadows problem (settings below high dont show the tree shadows on the cars as in the posted screenshots above not exhibiting the problem), it looks as if it *is* a hardware limitation regarding the method used to produce the realtime shadows. Ah well.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2005