1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HORRIBLE Gaming Performance with GeForce4 MX 440

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Firefort23, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Flamin-roids

Flamin-roids Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 4870 X2
    Using a FX5200 while my 5900 gets here. Not to shabby if you turn off all AA and AF. Still lags sometimes. But feel lucky you're not stuck with a TNT or a Rage128.

2. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    100+ fps on CoD is not possible....but other than that

3. Xaero001

Xaero001 Guest

Geforce 4 MX = old and not for gaming, I know I used to have one when I was on a ultra budget but now my 5900 is my budget card.

4. apolir

apolir Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    cant say my cards die on me all that much, ooh wait none of my cards have ever died,and yes the mx is a decent card. its not great but its a hell of alot better than integrated.

btw still having that low game performance firefort?

5. Comradesniper

Comradesniper Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT 256mb
    love em or hate em, you just cant live without em!:D

i love this card. dirt cheap (£20-£30 in the UK) and can run everything except Deus Ex: IW (but then, not a lot can very well).
    My point is, it does its job. Its a budget card. Its not ment to aply games at 100+fps on the higher settings. It can play games on medium settings quite nicely, and i think its bloody good for the price.

I play CoD, UT2k3, RTCW, BF1942/DC, UT, Generals/Blitzkrieg2. Not the most demanding, but i know many people who have problems running these on newer cards (driver issues), But my MX has done it first time, and at a decent speed/quality tradeoff.

6. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

hey i played halo on my mx440 at 30fps so its nothing to knock, it could have gone higher but i locked the fps at 30

7. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

apolir - Nope! I replaced my mobo, processor, and memory and everything is running great now. Its hilarious that so many people were so quick to tell me to get a new video card - I've still got the same video card now and it works great ! lol

8. NIB

NIB Master Guru

I have a pci diammont stealth s220 4mb(i think) when my other cards have problem. Its always good to have a pci graphic card around. And if i need to play a game or 2, i just plug in my voodoo 2 12mb and along with my s220, all games run uber fast.

Man that was an upgrade(from s220 to s220+voodoo 2). Now you can upgrade from geforce 2 to geforce 5950 and you still wont feel that huge difference.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
  9. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

Uhm, your games run uber fast with 12mb video card? lol Yeah, maybe Commander Keen and Wolfenstein3D...

10. [SHS.Donny]

[SHS.Donny] Guest

The MX lacks any shaders so Halo looks like and plays like Half Life. I know because to make it playable on my old Radeon 9000 Pro I had to turn shaders off lol... :rolleyes:

11. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    my gf4 mx440 runs COD at 20-60 fps all maxed at 1020x768. the only thing I don't like in my card is that it has no pixel shader support, other than that it plays all games at medium to highest setting without problem.

12. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    That sounds more like an MX, unlike DMASTER claiming 100+ which is utter BS.

13. ghn22

ghn22 Guest

I have a MX440 and I can run every game out right now at its fullest and not have any trouble with lagg. Perfectly crisp game play and this is on Halo 2 and Doom III, also hitman contracts. (Work at GameStop :))

14. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    I think that's BS....actually, i know that's BS.

15. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

Vxheous - so is your attempt at intelligence. Learn something other than "BS" kid.

16. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Ok, one, how old are you to be calling me kid? And two, post some screenshots to prove just how "well" a MX-440 can do. Halo 2 is not even out yet, and there's only the Leaked Doom III beta floating around. Define fullest? I define fullest as anything running at 1280x960 or above. Even without eyecandy, I know for a fact that GF4 MX-440 is not going to run any games at over 60 fps (except maybe 2-3 year old games). I've tested this card out before, and it really failed to impress me. There are many other sites with good benchmarks showing just how "good" the performance is as well, so there's my back up to my opinion. Here, i'll even go find some right now and post them.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
    http://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/S&V/gf4_mx_roundup.shtml
    http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0zMTc=
    http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0zMjE=
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030311/index.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1647
    There's a few articles, some featuring the MX, others with benchmarks with the MX compared to other cards. I rest my case.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  17. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Even with Halo 1, the Top cards have some trouble, I cannot see the MX performing very well either.

Oh yeah, your comment about my intelligence is completely unwarranted. I'm in my Third year of University, I have a 3.68 GPA (on a 4-point scale) scored 33 on my MCAT....then i find out that I can't be accepted into Med School because i was born with Hepatitis B, because in the year I was born (1983) they didn't vaccinate babies at birth in Hong Kong. So i'm screwed out of that, but hey, i know i'm intelligent. I never went and insulted you, now did I?

18. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    Not true at all. At 800x600 all maxed, my gf4 mx440 runs COD at 30-90 fps :) :D

19. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

I run COD all maxed with 4x AA and 2xAF turned on at 1024x768 without problems at all. Runs very fluently even at Stalingrad :)

20. Comradesniper

Comradesniper Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT 256mb
    maxed out at 1024x768, nice speed at the Stalingrad Docks and Stalingrad Red Square charge. (dunno the exacts, but as long as its playable, it dont give a fork)