1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HORRIBLE Gaming Performance with GeForce4 MX 440

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Firefort23, Feb 16, 2004.

1. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    Firefort23, I only have 1 solution in mind after reading all posts. Try setting your BIOS to "Optimal Setting"

2. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

I really do appreciate everyone's help (or good-hearted attempt at it). However, I have decided, thanks to my tax refund, to simply upgrade my system. At the moment, I'm only upgrading my mobo, cpu, and memory. Here's what I've ordered (should be here in two days, yay!):

Motherboard: Intel 865G Chipset for Socket 478 CPU (Model D865GLCL)
    Processor: Pentium 4 2.4C GHz, 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, HT Technology
    Memory: Corsair 512 MB DDR SDRAM PC3200 (DDR400)

Now, with that setup and the GeForce4 MX 440, I should see a dramatic improvement, right? I will upgrade the card soon, but I've already spent $350 on the above components.

3. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    If you're going to overclock any at all, don't get an Intel built board....get a board with INtel chipset, but not their actual boards, cause they don't allow FSB adjustments. If you don't plan on ocing at all, then you're fine.

4. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

Nope, can't afford to replace the board if I make a mistake, so I'll run at factory speeds :)

5. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    With the gf4mx in there I doubt you'll see a dramatic improvement in games, you'd need to replace the video card too.

6. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

One more quick question - I know that usually replacing a motherboard requires a reinstall of Windows. However, is it necessary with WindowsXP? And if so, couldn't I simply do "Repair Windows"? I'm a really lazy guy and don't want to have to reinstall over 100 programs (not to mention I'd have to download most of them all over again.

7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    As i posted earlier all i was trying to say is that its time for an upgrade anyway, so you'd be best to just give up on that card and get somthing better. If even only a little better, there are plenty of affordable options at the moment. :)

Also I've bought PC gear with my own cash since the early 90's...if that comment was directed at me.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Look, I'm 100% certain the issue is not hardware.
    I break 5k with a 7500 and a p4-M
    I nearly break 3k with a PII and a geforce3 (the geforce 3 is loads better, but its still 450Mhz machine on agp 2x)
    I can play Mohaa on both (low settings, but it works)
    I'm going to advise reformating before you buy anything. Get all the drivers you need (all new execpt myaber for something in the 4x.xx range for the gfx).
    After teh reformat install teh chipset drivers and go from there.
    If you are getting a new rig, please don't buy the intel baord unless it is significantly cheaper. teh Intel boards are egrerally not as fast as baords from companies liek asus or abit even with no oc. plus these board generally ahev a better feature set (Liek raid and stuff). Look at teh asus p4p800.

9. VeXeD

VeXeD Member

I agree. One of my rigs has a 2200+(not oc'ed), 512Mb of RAM and a mx440(250/332)from my wife's Dell... very similar to your set up FireFort.

Everything @default, the machine scores 3969 in 3DMark2001.
    With the mx440 oc'ed to the max with no artifacts (350/406) its scores 4820. Drivers are 30.82. I've also been playing the ut2004 demo on this rig with no problems.

BTW my wife's Dell now has a ti4200 clocked at 477/620. I can't remember exactly but that rig's Quake3 time demos jumped like 160FPS with the ti4200.

My opinion is what alot of people are telling you here. Check your BIOS settings, check your video cards driver settings or try different drivers 30.82's or 40.72's are good. In Windows try shutting off services you don't need. If nothing works perform a back up of your important files and do a fresh install of Windows.

Good luck.

10. PhelanPKell

PhelanPKell Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 Red
    Ok, my apologies people, I skipped all of page five and on of the posts cause so far I've not seen this problem suggested: MOTHERBOARD!!!
    He's using an ECS mobo to boot which is just...*turns and hurls in a bucket* WRONG! not to mention a SiS chipset which I made the mistake of using mobo's with SiS chipsets a couple times. Learned from experience there as the chipsets were noticably inferior and pathetically made.
    Take all my system stats I have listed here, but substitute an MSI model GeForce4 MX440 AGP4x card for my current FX5600U. My top score with this 1.7 Celeron O/Ced to 2.2 gave me 5741 in 3DMark 2k1SE. The card is not THAT inferior. It CAN perform nicely, the biggest bottleneck here is that bloody motherboard. Dude. Replace it with an ASUS or an MSI or some company with a name behind them. No Soyo's or ECS or junk like that with the SiS chipsets. Intel chipsets are the more stable and reliable in my personal opinion and will save you a lot of hack and hassle later.
    Best 285(Canadian) I spent in my entire life on a comp was this P4P800 Deluxe. You could kick out anywhere from another 300-600Mhz atleast from that 2.0 Celeron with overclocking and STILL keep stability and low temperature (perfect example, my CPU runs cooler on this mobo overclocked by 500mhz than it did at stock speeds on my old P4B533-VM). Trust me dude, you're not bottlenecking at the vid card OR the CPU, it's the mobo if it is anything hardware.

11. PhelanPKell

PhelanPKell Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 Red
    Oh, yeah, and like one of the other guys said, get rid of the 53.03's. They'll cut your performance down by about 75% atleast.

12. Wolverine69r

Wolverine69r Guest

ok set your Side Band Addressing off if it in bios, (Not supported by card)
    turn Fast writes on, makes it faster

switch to AGP 4x,

install latest drivers,

trust me it makes mine better,

upgrade mobo drivers,

could be unsupported modes

13. NIB

NIB Master Guru

At last nvidia made a card that doesnt get its perfomance screwed when you turn on aa :D.

Thats offending for my geforce 2 gts. Even though it might perform similar to a geforce 4 mx, it is a great card and not a fraud card like mx.

Stop posting answers like these. Its obvious there is a problem with his perfomance that isnt related with how weak his hardware is. We all established the fact that it is weak, but it is a lot weaker than it should be.

Now back to the topic. Have you tried formating hard disk and reinstalling everything(combined with the tips from other posts like disabling sideband adressing, fast writes, etc)? Could it be a psu problem(which can cause all kinds of strange problems)?

In any case, since you decided to upgrade, dont get an intel made mobo. Even if you arent interested into overclocking, you can probably get a different brand mobo(with the same intel chipset) with less money and more added components.

Well as we have said over and over, your uber low perfomance probably isnt hardware related. Your current perfomance is way too low even when considered how weak your rig is which indicates a different kind of problem. In any case you would see a bigger perfomance increase(as far as games are concerned) just by getting a geforce 4 ti 4200(instead of upgrading cpu/mobo/ram).

Newegg had nice brand new 9600 pro(transcend) for like 110$ but unfortunatelly they dont have it anymore. Keep your eyes open for oportunities like that.

14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Ok after reading through every reply in this thread I would simply suggest reformatting your computer, download and install all windows, motherboard, and other hardware updates, download the latest version of DirectX, download the 44.03 detonators and then try to run 3dmark again.

15. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ino3D Ichill
    Some games won't even run on this driver because some later features were not implemented yet, like LOTR: WOTR (War of the Ring)

16. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    LOTR WOTR was a terrible game anyways, the AI was terrible, and the content was.........inaccurate. I'm a big Tolkien fan....and I've been years b4 the movies came out, and as a Tolkien fan, i played through the game once......and uninstalled it....

17. Firefort23

Firefort23 Guest

Just wanted to let you all know, I went ahead and upgraded my mobo, memory, and processor. I left the same GeForce4 MX 440 in place for now. My 3DMark01 score: 5510! That's over a 100% increase from my last configuration. :) And a lot of you said that my video card was the bottleneck...HA! ;)

18. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Well, the card is still a bottleneck, but now it's prolly playable. 5K score in 3DMark 2001 is pretty low, but compared to your old scores, it sounds about right for the card. :D

19. legowelt

legowelt Guest

yeah but you didnt listen by the only real usefull post that pointed out that your MOTHERBOARD was the problem not the celeron, or the mx, or the ram.

well good you upgraded anyway, now the only bottleneck is your card, but if you dont mind and can play your games the way you want, then is all good :)

20. Vxheous

Vxheous Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
    Exactly, now go enjoy your new "working" system, and when you feel the need, start upgrading other parts, but that's when you feel the need, as long as you're happy with your comp the way it is, don't let anyone tell you your comp sucks.